Reality Factory 0.75A Full Install

Official announcements regarding Reality Factory
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Reality Factory 0.75A Full Install

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Finally a new release of Reality Factory is available. Version 075A comes as a full installer with a couple of new demo levels and example resources. Some nasty bugs are fixed now and there are a few new features too. Download it from the Downloads Section or the Reality Factory Resource Site at FileFront and check it out.
(~90 MB of free hard disk space required)

Bug Fixes

Fixed X-rotation in pawn command Rotate

Fixed High/low value limits in pawn command AddAttribute

Fixed StaticMesh entities not rendering during conversations

ActorSpray/ActorSpout base rotation now expected in degrees as specified in the docs

Fixed unpredictable behaviour when colliding with planes pointing in negative Y-direction

Fixed rendering of actor polys on some NVIDIA graphics cards in D3D7x driver

New Features

Added usedirectinput option in RealityFactory.ini file to disable the use of DirectInput (on some Win98 systems DirectInput may conflict with HID.dll)

Detailed logging only if option logging is set to true in RealityFactory.ini file

Added flipindicator option to HUD elements, so the indicator may also decrease from left to right or from bottom to top

New script commands SetAttributeValueLimits, RightCopy, NearestPoint (returns the nearest visible ScriptPoint), SetFOV, sin, cos, tan

New pawn variables player_animation (returns the current player animation), player_viewpoint (returns the current player viewpoint)

Morphing of alpha channels in EM_Morph entity

Misc

Updated VideoSetup utility

Changed some fatal errors to warning level (logged in RealityFactory.log):
Missing Actors (just no rendering of entity)
Missing fonts get replaced by first existing font if any
If viewpoint is set to fixed camera and no camera is found, 3rd person camera is used by default

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 pm

I am downloading it now. The new features and the bug fixes are all really helpfull. :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 am

Thanks a million QOD I'm Downloading now.

shadow

Post by shadow » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:17 am

Very nice work QOD

Thanks for putting in FOV
I especially like the find NearestPoint.
I had written my own script version, but this will be much easier now.

Anonymu$

Post by Anonymu$ » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 am

Unreal , i played that game there is oxygen now!!
:)

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:37 am

Anonymu$ wrote:Unreal , i played that game there is oxygen now!!
You can make oxygen in earlier version too :wink: Just read the docs
Lithuanians for Georgia!

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 pm

By the way, I noticed that you added Multiplayer button to menu. Any improvements to it?
Lithuanians for Georgia!

scott

Post by scott » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:23 pm

please say yes, i know i was trying to get the forum to do some work on it, then went on holiday then got virus and then made my sword, so havnt been looking at it l8ely, but go you for making new release, im sure the bug fixes will be greate :D
*GD*

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:40 am

Sorry, no changes in the multiplayer code...

Updated the installer with more compatible settings in the d3d24.ini file.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:40 am

The demos are primo, QOD. I needed no changes to anything and it ran sweet. I particularly love having 3 demos based on the player chosen. That is a great idea. The message and mouse pick demo is excellent!! Well done, my friend! :D
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:27 am

good job QoD nice guns, level design, and I especially like your menu. Keep up the good work.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Nice release! Great level tooo (thanks, you leave the 3dt in the workfolder).
The source in the download section contains the latest changes? I'm working with a 075 version+physics. I've made several changes in camera code (it wasn't possible to have mouserotation=true allowzoom=false disabletilt=false), and the audio system (no we can "tune" the car engine sound) plus I added some script commands (such as self.order_name that returns your Order name, self.camera_yaw). The version I own contains the SetRelBoneRotation that I used to code the turning torso and the rewritten bone commands used to have a working "composed ragdoll". The only problem is that this version isn't stable and sometimes it crashes.
I'm planning to create a script command that will unify all the procedures to automatically force the ragdoll to take the position/rotation of the pawn bones. When the pawn is killed the ragdoll render is turned on and the pawn off. Naturally the ragdoll and the pawn must have the same aspect.
Create a ragdoll with the right proportion, break a model in several pieces, building several actors for every bodypart, placing them correctly is a pain! The solution is to find a way to use the new Nout's bone commands to leave the ragdoll unrendered and to place the pawn's bone according with the position/rotation of the ragdoll bodypart.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Great work! The demo levels are awesome!
I like the menu bar in the top of the screen VERY much. Now all those non-scripter users have a nice example of how an inventory or a menu of some sort can be scripted.

The new script commands rock too! :D

@federico
RF with ragdolls sounds amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing those in action! Keep up the good work! :D
Pain is only psychological.

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:52 pm

i'm posting a video that shows how composed ragdolls work.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:48 am

The source in the download section contains the latest changes?
No, I haven't updated the source code download yet. So it's still RF 075.
Since I've discovered a few memory leaks while doing a debug build of RF, I will probably release a patch for the current version together with the updated source within a couple of days.
I've made several changes in camera code (it wasn't possible to have mouserotation=true allowzoom=false disabletilt=false), and the audio system (no we can "tune" the car engine sound) plus I added some script commands (such as self.order_name that returns your Order name, self.camera_yaw). The version I own contains the SetRelBoneRotation that I used to code the turning torso and the rewritten bone commands used to have a working "composed ragdoll". The only problem is that this version isn't stable and sometimes it crashes.
As long as the physics build isn't stable I don't think it's a good idea to integrate the changes into the official release...
If you have any code that doesn't depend on the physics, just post them in the programming section of the forum or send me an email with the changes and I'll try to add them in the next release.