Reality Factory 0.76 Release

Official announcements regarding Reality Factory
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: Reality Factory 0.76 Release

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Yes we need to make a decision here. Federico has mentioned PAL which sounds like an acceptable solution to the problem but I haven't looked at it in more detail.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon May 26, 2008 11:11 pm

On some systems the current release won't run due to a problem in the audio mixer code. The attached patch should fix this problem.
Attachments
RealityFactory076patch.zip
(877.24 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps » Tue May 27, 2008 2:37 am

So this adds physics and the new features and the scripted projectiles?....
Forgive me, I have been inactive as of late.
For too long. Just trying to get back on track.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue May 27, 2008 9:31 am

fps wrote:So this adds physics and the new features and the scripted projectiles?....
No, as I said it fixes a problem that could lead to a crash on some systems. Anyway, how am I supposed to integrate the features you mention within just a couple of hours? Not to mention that I didn't even get the code of the scripted projectiles yet ...
As I stated on the front page the focus of this release was mainly on the tools. If the tools get outdated it will become pretty difficult to work with RF.
The GameBuilder for example was at a point that it was literally useless. Now you just need to click a button and it will copy all resources needed by your game into a new directory. Doing this manually could have taken you hours.
Updating the ActView was necessary as with every update of the Genesis3D engine the other Viewer becomes more and more incompatible and can't be updated due to the lack of source code.
The autocompletion and call tips in the RF Script Editor can make the writing of scripts quite a bit easier and the exporting of a larger range of character from the ttf2font tool was the least thing I had to do to support other languages than English ...

kiliman

Post by kiliman » Tue May 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Now , when the patch was applicated the Taybar work fine ¡Thanks QoD¡
I really thing, that the Physics systems is a nesesary adds from RF 0.76. Thank again from me and all the Spanish comunity.

fps

Post by fps » Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 pm

I see.
Anyway, how am I supposed to integrate the features you mention within just a couple of hours? Not to mention that I didn't even get the code of the scripted projectiles yet ...
Calm down calm down. :)
I have been out of the loop for a while.
Is there plans to put this all together? I am sort of sitting back and waiting for this to work itself out before i get back to work. thats all.
Don't want to write a bunch of scripts that wont function when I am done updating.
It seems like there is a lot of really good work going on all around an I am very happy that i stuck with rf through all this time, I cant wait to see the whole thing come together. It's going to be a masterpiece.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

kiliman

Post by kiliman » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Yes FPS, you said a really way

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue May 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Yes, and that's why we have to make a decision. PAL looks really nice, we could have a switch that goes like physics=newton, physics=ode, physics=tokamak or physics=none. Of course, that would cause a rewrite of the whole physics code. But using PAL means we have more than one physics engine to choose from, and that gives us some flexibility.

I must look through the license of Newton again. The easiest thing would be to insert the 'switch' i mentioned so that ou can enable/disable at free will. If this does not conflict with the license, this would be an easy way out. (Although i personally would prefer PAL for its flexibility, but i have to get a closer look at it first)

Or we include it in the source code, but make two versions, one with physics and one where physics is deprecated by the source code with a macro.

And that's what we have to decide, we have four options:
1. No physics engine in the official releases and write endless patches
2. switch for enabling/disabling physics (if it does not make problems with the license)
3. Physics included in the source code, but it can be included/excluded via macro definitions
4. Use PAL

I would go for option 3, because with this we can stop this branching between physics and non-physics versions, and the patches needed. And we don't need to rewrite the physics code like with option 4.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

kiliman

Post by kiliman » Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm

I think the 3ª option is the right ones.

fps

Post by fps » Wed May 28, 2008 1:24 am

Yes FPS, you said a really way
what? I don't follow.

I say we go with 3 or 4.
What is the difference between having a switch and using pal?
1 wrote:

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

Jue

Post by Jue » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

The truth I am not anybody to say, firstly I have no idea of schedule and only wish that RF get physical, as with the previous version left many hallucinations, but now we are sorry because we do not see a way out of the case, it is worth noting that you are experts in the field and take the right decision, but since I am a mere spectator I would say that I want to have RF physics.

PS: The national child Abnormal. :P :lol:

fps

Post by fps » Thu May 29, 2008 3:01 am

The truth I am not anybody to say, firstly I have no idea of schedule and only wish that RF get physical, as with the previous version left many hallucinations, but now we are sorry because we do not see a way out of the case, it is worth noting that you are experts in the field and take the right decision, but since I am a mere spectator I would say that I want to have RF physics.

PS: The national child Abnormal. :P :lol:
If I hadn't just figured out you are part of the Spanish community, this post would had greatly disturbed me.
1 wrote:

2 wrote:

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.

Zidane

Post by Zidane » Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 am

Any problem with the Spanish community?

kiliman

Post by kiliman » Thu May 29, 2008 10:41 am

Why disturbed u??

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:26 pm

I think because "get physical" means something like "luchar" :lol:
Last edited by Danimita92 on Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.