Autodesk Cancels Gmax

Official announcements regarding Reality Factory
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Autodesk Cancels Gmax

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:21 pm

Bad news from the game industry: Autodesk decided to cancel Gmax
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... eID=123112
As of October 6, 2005, Autodesk will no longer offer Gmax® software as a stand-alone product. If you are interested in other 3D animation, modeling, and rendering applications from Autodesk please check out Autodesk® 3ds Max® software. You can download a free 30-day trial, view product demonstrations, read customer success stories, and get more information about this powerful, versatile product.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:26 pm

Turbosquid.com is offering Gmax until November 1st 2005, so get your copy now

download:
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
registration support:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Support/Index ... upportHelp

http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.c ... StartRow/1
Dear Gmax users,
I am here today to inform you that Autodesk has officially decided to end its support for the Gmax product and that their company has stopped support for it effective October 6th.

Since Turbo Squid is a valuable partner for Autodesk and we've been managing the product and community on their behalf for the past year, they've allowed us to continue to offer the Gmax download until November 1st so that we can effectively manage the transition for this now defunct product. At that point, the ability to download Gmax from our site will be removed as will the ability for users to get authorization codes for the product.

These forums will continue to operate for the community for a small period of time beyond that date, and we'll be happy to try and assist the community during that time.

Respectfully,

-=Beau

Beau Perschall
VP of Publishing
Turbo Squid, Inc.

Voltare

abandonware?

Post by Voltare » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:22 am

i see the gmax community creating plugins or whatever for this thing, to make it even better now........

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:00 pm

News from Autodesk
Recently we communicated a plan to cease new development on Gmax and ramp down support on the current offering; this decision was based on multiple factors and data points, including diminished interest from games publishers. Since the announcement, more partners provided feedback that we are investigating – for this reason we are happy to announce that we will extend the previously communicated November 1, 2005 deadline and continue to make Gmax available to the active community.

Our plans still include a ramp down of support on this version of Gmax – the technology does not reflect the capabilities of the current 3ds max release, nor is it ready in its current form to take advantage of pending changes to the windows operation system that will be exposed with the Vista release.

We have heard your feedback and are formulating a revised transitional plan – in the interim we are again pleased to announce that we will continue to availability of Gmax for current active users.

Annie Normandin
Product Manager - Animation
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

msx

Post by msx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Hey QOD,

Thanks for posting this link which is still working. I was horrified when they stopped support for Gmax! And I also got the Q3 plugin! ;-)

hallsofvallhalla

Post by hallsofvallhalla » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:48 pm

its funny how they cancelled gmax so long ago and still its used so much. I have the pro version of 3ds max and I truthfully like gmax better.

Silmeria

Post by Silmeria » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:45 am

QuestOfDreams wrote:Turbosquid.com is offering Gmax until November 1st 2005, so get your copy now
It's funny how they said that, because I just redownloaded and re-registered for gmax.