Free ebook: Making 3D Games with RealityFactory by Dan Valeo

Official announcements regarding Reality Factory
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Free ebook: Making 3D Games with RealityFactory by Dan Valeo

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:30 pm

Dan Valeo has graciously made his book "Making 3D Games with Reality Factory" free to all. It is now available for download from the RF Downloads site. Thanks Dan! 8)
:!: Note: The media package used in the book is not available. You can use other resources instead. :!:

Making 3D Games with Reality Factory

Make 3D Games Quickly and Easily

Learn to make 3D games quickly and easily, with no programming required. Making 3D Games with Reality Factory, is a step by step guide to using the Reality Factory open-source game engine. The most sophisticated open-source game engine available. Make complete 3D games faster and more easily then you ever have before.

Make 3D Games Without Programming

Although Reality Factory is an open-source game engine, it can also be used by those who have no programming exerience at all. Whether you are an advanced C++ programmer or a complete newcomer to game development, Making 3D Games with Reality Factory, will have you making commercial quality games in no time at all.

A Step by Step Guide to Making 3D Games

Making 3D Games with Reality Factory is an illustrated, step by step guide. Here is a brief description of a few chapters found inside Making 3D Games with Reality Factory.
  • Using the World Editor - Learn how to efficiently use the World Editor to create error free levels quickly.
    Building a Level - A complete walkthrough of the RF Demo game, Space Escape.
    Adding Models and Doors - Add single doors, double doors, locked doors, one way doors and elevators.
    Creating Actor Files - Create actor files using low cost and freeware tools.
    Adding First Person Weapons - Step by step instructions for turning any model into a first person weapon.
    Writing Pawn Scripts - Learn how to write pawn scripts with the powerful, but easy to use RF Scripting Language.
    Heads Up Display - Making HUD graphics and adding a HUD to an RF demo.
    The RF Menu - Learn how to modify the default RF Menu.
    Advanced Level Design - Read about a few techniques that can be used to create very large levels, while keeping a high frame rate.
    And Much more...
Last edited by QuestOfDreams on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:54 am

I just want to point out, please do not contact Bookshock Customer service for the Media Package for the book. They will not respond without a receipt number. Please do not confuse them trying to search receipts for names.

The media package is no more then a model and a couple of textures, but if anyone has a copy they may post it here, until I pass a copy off to a host.

Thanks

rgdyman

Post by rgdyman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:42 pm

Wow!

Thanks Dan!

That's very generous of you.

I'll be downloading this.
Thanks a million!!

mbee

THANKS

Post by mbee » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:49 am

I'm back for while and THANKS to Dan for posting this, I had to redo my whole machine and never did get the original I had bought back on it... VERY useful book...

Marty

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:17 am

I'm back for while

A while? Glad you didn't drown.

mbee

came REAL close!

Post by mbee » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:29 am

No kiddin'! Just got done with FEMA, insurance adjusters (my dog actually BIT the insurance guy, YIKES). We evacuated from Rita, tore up all around us something fierce, might have to post some pictures of all the trees knocked down...

http://www.mjbeedesign.com/rita/ritatitle.html

Marty

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:42 pm

hey marty - glad to see you're safe! your recounting of your adventures is a classic. hope things get back to "normal" fast!

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:33 am

That was great, you oughta do comix!

marty

heh, heh

Post by marty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:09 am

some other folks said I ought to try and get syndicated...

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:29 am

I'm not so sure joing the syndicate is such a good idea, Marty. Those guys can be pretty rough.

:wink:

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:53 am

@ Pickles:
WOW Sweet! i can't recommend this book enough, dan sent me a copy a while back in turn for some work i helped him enough, to all users, DOWNLOAD NOW! the scripting section is a must!

@marty:

Hey dude i love your art work, i can really see the similarites between the art in some of your games combined with the 2d pictures you posted! i really love your art style....serious,twisted and good fun! keep up the good work.

EDIT: i just checked your site out as well, wicked design and awsome illustrations! a++! big ups dude

marty

looking forward to getting back into the "game"

Post by marty » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:16 am

yeah, I got to integrate the two things more I think, game design and my art - but its all about having fun with this stuff and life - I mean I TRIED being serious and its hard work...

right now everyone in the state of Louisiana is shaking in their boots about the budget shortfall trying to put things back together, I mean they weren't all that solvent BEFORE the hurricane, heh, heh...

so its a great time to think of weird, funny stuff, I tried watching TV tonight, CRIMINAL MINDS or all about serial killers and how they think, this is followed by INVASION, alien cooties drop down in a hurricane and make people smell funny (really kind of boring stuff...)

I realize I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but here's a WILD thought; I am FOR the war BUT if they stopped it for exactly 3.7 days that would be enough money to bale Louisiana out of the hole (3.7 billion dollars...)... wild and crazy if you know what I mean...

you GOTTA laugh at this stuff, you just GOTTA...

jober911

Media Pack

Post by jober911 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:57 pm

yeah, i read the e-book at home, printed it, and started to follow it. bu where is the media pack download???? it's not in bookshock.com

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:I just want to point out, please do not contact Bookshock Customer service for the Media Package for the book. They will not respond without a receipt number. Please do not confuse them trying to search receipts for names.

The media package is no more then a model and a couple of textures, but if anyone has a copy they may post it here, until I pass a copy off to a host.

Thanks
- From the author of the book

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:56 pm

Did they discontinue it? I downloaded it just the other day!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack