Reality Factory 0.78.0.0 Pre-Release

Official announcements regarding Reality Factory
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: Reality Factory 0.78.0.0 Pre-Release

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm

If you have the occasion to try it out I'd be grateful if you would share your experiences. :)

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Just started my first test level. I created a skybox, because I have always preferred that to the skydome, and I created an invisible box just so it would compile and I could run around on a 'ground'. I used a 255, 0 , 254 transparent texture and got it to work so I could see the wonderful free skybox texture set I acquired online : http://opengameart.org/textures/all -- and then I fired my weapon. This is when things got a little hairy. Lines and panels started showing in the invisible box.

I wanted to post a screen, so I pressed F8, but I could not find the resulting screenshots anywhere.

Also, I can not find the Video Set Up.

****Got the lines/panels solved. Still can't make a screenshot with F8, and no Video Set Up.

I did make a screen with print screen, and attached it.
Attachments
screen01.jpg
(93.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri May 23, 2014 9:54 pm

• Added internal_config.ini file for private configuration options
  • Added configurable savegame directory (in My Documents folder)
  • Added configurable screenshot directory (in My Documents folder)
  • Added configurable log file directory (in AppData folder)
  • Added configurable configfile directory (in AppData folder)
Savegames and screenshots now get stored in a subdirectory of your My Documents folder that has the name of your game (as configured in the [General] section in the internal_config.ini file via GameName). By default this is "RealityFactory Demo". This folder contains again 2 subfolders for your savegames and screenshots. These can also be configured in the internal_config.ini file via the SavegameDirectory and ScreenshotDirectory options in the [Directories] section.

Similarily, log files and certain config files (e.g. keyboard.ini) get stored in your AppData folder. You can get to this folder by entering %APPDATA% into the address bar of the Windows Explorer.

(Also see the second part of one of my earlier posts: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5733#p40387)

The VideoSetup.exe should be right next to the RealityFactory.exe. :?:

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:18 am

All right, I'm going to admit it straight out -- just like any man, I always skip directions and likewise, I don't read the changelog. Otherwise, I would have known exactly where to find my screenshots. No, I always skim things at best, then get to poking around hoping any real changes will just jump out at me. I am ashamed to say that I did read ALL of the information you posted, but I was in too big of a hurry to actually retain it. :oops:

So, I have found all of those folders and it makes sense why you had to do things the way you did. It's one of the 'features' of Windows 7 that drives me insane. I have administrator privileges and it still treats me like a criminal.

However, I do NOT have the VideoSetUp program. :? I'll attach a screen of my RF root folder.

Also a new screenshot from my level with my new grass texture from that free site!
RF Folder.jpg
(107.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Newscreen01.jpg
(97.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat May 24, 2014 9:07 am

steven8 wrote:However, I do NOT have the VideoSetUp program. :? I'll attach a screen of my RF root folder.
I've just checked the zip archive again and it's definitely included, don't know what happened there. :?
Just in case I've attached a copy ...
Attachments
VideoSetup.zip
(339.15 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:11 am

It won't let me open the zip. Says it is not an archive. :?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat May 24, 2014 1:55 pm

The archive works fine on all of my machines, I don't know what else to tell you. *shrug*

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat May 24, 2014 9:09 pm

steven8 wrote:It won't let me open the zip. Says it is not an archive. :?
The videosetup.zip file opens fine for me also. Plus it was included with my install of RF.

The problem with the skybox is due to aliasing around the texture edges of the skybox. This has been a problem with the Genesis3d engine from the start. Anti-aliasing might help or just try using a sky dome.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am

I got the file, but not from this archive, or from the archive on the main download. I got the full archive from the gamefront mirror. There it was. I just copied it over to my existing RF folder. Works like a charm.

This is great stuff, Daniel. You should be really proud.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:42 am

Changelevel only works if I set KeepAttributes to False. Otherwise RF crashes. Or if I leave it blank, it will exit to menu as it is supposed to.

Also, I've got a countdowmtimer working to run a countdown, but I'm not sure how to have it effect anything. How can I make something happens if it reaches zero before achieving a goal? Like disabling the last trigger, so you can't exit the level?

[edit] I cheated. I created a logic gate with a delay that matched by Countdown, and had it trigger the changlevel, so if you run out of time, it puts you back to the beginning. Actually, it only looks like you run out of time. The countdown does nothing. I tried using the logicgate as an Attribute jobber, but that did no good.

A slight glitch I've never seen before. Sometimes when you go back to start the level over, the actor starts jumping..and doesn't stop until you hit the jump button! Never seen that one before.

Anyway, I did complete my test level, and my sons love it! I'll attached some pics.
finalscreen01.jpg
(79.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
finalscreen02.jpg
(77.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
finalscreen03.jpg
(80.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for the report. :!:
I'll look into those issues (probably something within the saving system).

PS: The CountDownTimer works like a trigger. It goes on when the time reaches zero.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 am

QuestOfDreams wrote:Thanks for the report. :!:
I'll look into those issues (probably something within the saving system).

PS: The CountDownTimer works like a trigger. It goes on when the time reaches zero.
So, if I just set the triggerchange on the changelevel to the szentity name of the countdowntimer, the change would be triggered when it hit zero. I already have the final switch to exit the level stop the timer, so that is the simpler way to do it!

Cool! I'll take out the logicgate, and try it out.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:40 am

StaticMesh and StaticEntityProxy issues. I have only been able to place one of either entity into a level. I would like to place several of the same barrel in my 4th level. Upon trying to create a second entity, either from scratch or by copying the first entity, the system automatically creates a third copy of the actor in the position that the actor appeared before being dragged into place. In the air, wherever. This entity acts like a brush, rather than an entity, and can not be deleted. It appears in the level when built, not with the actor's texture, but with the ALCHEM3 texture. Fortunately, I have not saved, so I exit without saving, and it is not there when I reopen the level.

I have successfully created a 'floating' barrel in my water, and a second, but I had to lose the second, because of the 'ghost actor' that was created when I made the second barrel. :(

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Internal_config.ini - I can not get this thing to show an 800 x 600 bitmap I have created.

This is just the most recent attempt:

UseFirst = true
UseCutScene = true
;SplashScreen =
;SplashAudio =
CutScene = rfsplash.avi
UseSecond = false
UseCutScene1 = false
SplashScreen1 = dad games.bmp
;SplashAudio1 =
;CutScene1 =

I have set cutscene to false, tried just using the first SplashScreen option. It doesn't crash, so it's like not seeing my bitmap call at all. It stopped showing the avi file when cutscene was false, but no bitmap. Nothing works. :?

[edit] - Checked the manual and tried this:

[SplashScreen]
UseFirst = true
UseCutScene = false
SplashScreen = dad games.bmp
;SplashAudio =
CutScene = rfsplash.avi
UseSecond = false
UseCutScene1 = false
SplashScreen1 =
;SplashAudio1 =
CutScene1 =

No soap. :(

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Just had a quick look and the current code requires a SplashAudio to be defined along with a SplashScreen. Added it to my todo list.