Newbie team

Please post all job ads here ONLY
LtForce

Newbie team

Post by LtForce » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:04 pm

I got a crazy idea: wouldd any newbie (like me) join my team and try to make some game(s) together? One could make objects, other could make maps and so on...

P.S.: Sometimes I get crazy ideas so don't mind :oops:

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:00 am

Ltforce, this is no crazy idea at all. What areas are your strong points? Where do you need help?

What type of games interest you most? I have always been most fond of First Person Shooters. Can't help it. My love affair with the FPS started with Doom, and the love of one-man-created-carnage continued through Duke Nukem all the way to Serious Sam.

Anyway, do you have plans at present?
Last edited by steven8 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:38 am

Currently I'm creating my Adventure/FPS/RPG :) game. My strong point is creating towns, castles, houses. I'm planning to create a MMORPG(if multiplayer is going to work). There will be four factions: humans, dwarfs, undead, vampires. They will fight against each other for land. Coolest thing about my game is opportunity to travel through time. First player will be in medieval times and then if he will be able to find ancient pyramid in forbidden forest he'll get to modern times. Now I'm creating humans. The odd thing about my game will be that there are no good and dark sides. I think that you all think that humans will be friends with dwarves and vampires will be friends with undead? Wrong - humans with undead against dwarves with vampires. All factions will have good and bad points. Like humans will be able to use portals from one castle to another, no one will be able to get into vampires castle if vampires won'
t open the gate, dwarves will have their dungeons all over the map, undead will have poisonous swamps. I just started this project so in human world I only builded a castle and an inn. There's is a lot of work coming. Right now I'm thinking that in modern times players will be able to travel to moon with spaceship. I have one huge problem - I don't know how to use triggers, because players will be able to shoot with cannons and catapults but I just can't figure out this trigger thing. Whooo, long post I made here

P.S.: Thank you so much for all that help Steven8

If I could really make a newbie team there should be :
2 level designers(one for all map and one for towns and castles)
1 Modeler (to work with .act files)
2 Scripters(One newbie and one experienced because scripting is hardest thing I think)
1 texture maker(not neccesary because there's a lot of textures in google)
Lithuanians for Georgia!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 am

That sounds awesome!! I want to play a vampire!! I specifically like the fact that the humans aren't automatically the 'good guys'. That is a great deviation from the norm. My only experience with multiplayer is ExtremeG and Lego Star Wars with my sons on the N64 and the Gamecube. I have never played a game online.

Are you doing the conceptual art for your characters? I am starting to sound like a broken record, but post some images or screens of your castle and inn. We'd love to see 'em!! Pictures are worth thousands of words!!

My biggest weaknesses are houses (exterior) and people. The Golem I did is my first biped. I finally got close on one!! I like to model inside spaces. Like Resident Evil type stuff or Doom type stuff.

I am always happy to help out anyone I can. You are quite welcome on that!! :D

How are you getting stuck on triggers? I was stuck on triggers at first, but once you get one to work, you'll be amazed at how simple it is. I made a platform that was triggered when you shot a target. The target was a model. The trigger was 'attached' to that model. In the trigger properties you'll see 'model'. Wait, have you made a model yet?

To make a model:

You select the brush or brushes you want to be your model, then on the 'Model' tab at the left hand side of the rfedit screen you click 'Add Model'. It prompts you for the name of the model. I use like door01, if I am to have more than one door. If it is to be an animated model, like a door, click 'Set Origin', and a tiny X will appear in the middle of your model. Drag that X to where you want the origin of your model to be. If it is a swinging door put the model at the edge of the door on the side where the hinges would be, then click 'Done'. Your model will now rotate at that X. Click 'Animate' and you move or rotate your model about a forth of the way or so, and click 'Done'. it will prompt for a time. Type in, say, 1.0 and click okay. This will cause that animation to last one second, and the door will then snap back to it's original position. You have to do this step until the door (or whatever) is at it's final position. Do not try to just open the door and type in the full length of the animation. It will rotate in the wrong direction to get there. At least that is what it has done to me. Just make it in a few steps in the right direction, so as not to confuse the engine. Then click 'Animate, followed by 'Done', without moving the model and type in something like 25.0, and click okay. This will cause a 25 second delay before the door closes. Animate it in reverse to close the door slowly. It will open when triggered, then close after the pause nice and slow. You can experiment with the times to achieve the speeds you want.

Now for the trigger. First of all, doors do not 'need' a trigger entity. you can trigger a door without a trigger entity. By actor collision or the way I've got mine right now, by shooting them. I apologize if you know all this, but I'd hate to explain triggers and have you say, "How do you make a model".

The Trigger:

When you create a trigger, it already has a name. Say Trigger1. It has a property called 'Model'. Double click that, and you will get a dialogue showing you your models. Select the model you want to 'attach' it to. In the case of my platform, triggered from somehwere else, I had two models. the platform and my switch. The trigger was attached to my switch model, and the platform had Trigger1, entered in the TriggerName space of it's properties. Now, when my switch was shot by the player, it turned on Trigger1. The platform is sitting there watching for Trigger1 to be turned on, and when it was, the platform performed it's animation.

Does that help at all? If I confused you even more, I'm sorry. Just tell me. I'll gladly put together a little working demo of a trigger and put it up for you to download.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks, I can't post screenshots because I'm currently working with that inn and castle and it's empty.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:50 am

That's okay. Let me know how the trigger works for you.

Microman171

Post by Microman171 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:58 pm

Hey Hey, I'd love to join :D . I want to be a level designer. The thing is you will need to draw them out and send them to me at: Microman171@gmail.com
Thanks for the opportunity.

Microman171
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)

Help this bunny in his world domination by putting him in your sig.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:43 pm

Andy can make the tea :twisted:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:03 am

I am particularly fond of Earl Grey. Light sugar, no cream.

I like to make textures, and do menu graphics. You can send me a design document for your menus, or just give a rough idea of the look you are going for. I can design and code the menu for you with a custom menu.ini. Just let me know if you want me to. I've done all my own menus, and I helped do the menu for Telepath.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:04 am

I suppose I should be the one, if anyone... Here's part of my tea stash...

But hey, I'm busy making RF2!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:09 am

Andy's right. We should be making him tea!! What is your particular, Andy?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:13 am

Oh, I meant that I should be the one making the tea, with how much I have...

Most of the time a nice pot of Yorkshire tea, steeped 3 minutes, halfway between tea colored and white with milk, lots of sugar... Sometimes take a travel mug and fill it 3/4 with milk, sugar, and ice... Brew chai tea strong, pour it in... Stir... And sometimes I like a jumbo-mug with a PG tips teabag or a teaspoon of loose tea, same amount of milk and sugar... Or I could occasionally take some iced honeybush tea, steeped longer than usual... Or... Huh? Oh, yes. Ahem.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:18 am

Wow! :shock: Now there's a man who knows his tea!! I like chai tea, but I've never tried Yorkshire. Man, I need a drink. . .
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:40 am

Yorkshire is good. It's 'what lipton should be'. It's smooth, tasty, but not bitter in the least. Makes one thirsty though for some reason...

I recently got one of those pod coffee/tea makers and ordered 702 pods for it... :shock: Where am I going to put them.....

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 am

That's a lot of PODs. :shock:

Oh yes. . .THANK YOU to microman171 for stepping up to the plate, and offering to do level design!! We'll get some projects rolling here.

ItForce, have you had a chance to try a trigger yet? if you have problems, just let me know. Tell me how you are trying use them, and I'll see if we can't work it out.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!