Newbie team

Please post all job ads here ONLY
scott

Post by scott » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:20 pm

also another important factor is the pc your on, the higher the specs the more pllys it will handle but when you come to release your game keep in mind that not everyone has the same computer as you so it may be lower cpu speed, less ram and so on, so if you get a good frame rate on your pc it doent actual mean thats what its like on all of them, and its not how many pollys can i use its the cas of hmm, i can remove that polly and wont make a difference, if i remove these 4 pollys and replace them with 2 that wouldnt make too much of a difference, so keep puching your model as low as you can.
*GD*

PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 pm

woah i was way off. My polys usually run to 5000 to 10000 per model. Haha

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 pm

You're not way off for your models. They are beautiful. It's just that models for an engine such as rf to render smoothly would need to be simplified. Rf Supports bumpmapping and environment mapping, so even low poly models can be made to look more complex!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:46 am

steven8 wrote:QOD is working on it, but RF does not yet utilize hardware TnL. We're processing through the cpu, not the gpu. Once he gets that flying, we can boost the polys, but in the meantime, we just need to limit them, and see how your individual performance is.
So that is what hardware TnL does? It transfers poly rendering to the gpu? Anyway, I cant wait to add more polys in my game project, I am gong as low poly as possible.

@PerfectCircle: Very nice work!

I cant wait to see what you guys create!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

PerfectCircle

Post by PerfectCircle » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:27 pm

Thankyou MakerofGames. Thanks everyone for the wonderful and positive comments. :D

GD1

Post by GD1 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:56 pm

t&l stands for transfer and lighting. it means that rendering of 3D geometry and lighting is done by the GPU instead of the CPU. additionally, it means that graphical data is stored on the GPU's Video RAM, instead of the system RAM.

in a nutshell, more hands make the load lighter, which means a boost in speed to nearly everything that is stored in the memory or needs to be processed.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

ScionWest

Post by ScionWest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:15 am

I would like to get involved with your team, I have about 8 years programming experiance(75% of it in Visual Basic and VB.NET, some C++ but not much) and my dream is to eventually have my own design team and develop a game and sell it in retail stores. I think getting involved with a team like this is a great way to learn.

I have worked with the following game engines

Unreal 1.0
Unreal 2.0
Torque Engine
TBG Engine (My own engine)
3D Game Studio Game Engine A5 release

I have also developed MODS for the following games
Unreal
UT2004
Starseige Tribes
Tribes 2
Flight Simulator
Battlefield 1942
Neverwinter nights

The only thing is I do not always have access to the internet at home, I do most of my internet usage from my PDA. So I don't know how often I would be able to email files back and forth. If the scripts are small enough (they usually will be) I can try to email them from my PDA. I can also post replies to forum questions or be reached on Yahoo and MSN messanger from my PDA if anyone had any questions regarding code I provided.

I don't know what kind of programming you need done, I just downloaded this engine and so I'm learning it's scripting language. I'm not very adept at it yet, but I'm interested in seeing what the engine can do and working on a real project instead of a half-baked project I don't finish because I lack the needed skills (3D modelling and 2D Art)

Let me know what you think!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:54 am

Welcome ScionWest, to Reality Factory!! This has always been primarily a community of Artists, since Reality Factory was created to make it easier for non-programmers to make games. The coders among us are QuestOfDreams, AndyCR, WXB1, Nout and Frederico is a whiz with scripting. Your talents will be greatly appreciated, and these are the folks you'll want to contact to discuss how you can help in programming.

There is an urgent need to help with the Multiplayer code. I do know that for sure!!

In the meantime, do you have any screenshots from the games and/or mods you've worked on? We'd love to see 'em!!

ScionWest

Post by ScionWest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:31 am

ya again I have mainly used Visual basic.net so c++ styled scripting will take some learning and I have no networking experience but I'm excited to start working on something and learn!

As for the pics I can dig up a few from some of the projects I worked on by myself. To be honest they don't look the best because I was a one man studio trying to cover all the bases lol. my biggest project is a MUD engine that has a point and click editor with npc, monster batttles and dialog branching. I tried to avoid gfx since I don't have the skills.

thanks for the reply!

Hit me up on msn under this same screenname.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi all! I was on second vacation and another one is coming next week :D

I have brought bad news about this newbie team :( : School year is cooming pretty soon and I'll have to work on my virtual school project whole year. And believe me, my scool is BIG,not to meantion creating me and my best friends as a characters. So I won't be able to work with this project :cry: :cry: Big sorry for everyone who wanted to help...
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Microman171

Post by Microman171 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm

With the amount of people on this team I think we caan continue. Then you can come back when you can.
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)

Help this bunny in his world domination by putting him in your sig.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 pm

That's the spirit!!!
Lithuanians for Georgia!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 pm

Ltforce, I'm glad you had a great vacation, and may your next be even more fun!! Live it up before school starts!! Don't worry about our team. We'll always be one big team here in this community, and we'll continue working on these things as we go along. I'll finish your menu for you and post it as a download, so whenever you get back online you can just grab it!!

scionwest, vb.net is what I program in. It's what the GUI menu.ini creator is being done in. I have troubles with the scripting too. You'll get he idea of the scripts. I 'understand' them when I read them, but the catch is knowing what to write to make your guys do something that isn't already in a script!! :shock: We'll both get it. It'll just take some time.
Last edited by steven8 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:30 am

Offtopic: It's LtForce, only I forgot to write L as a big letter :(
Lithuanians for Georgia!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:37 am

Sorry 'bout that. I should pay closer attention, and will change it over on my website. I've been doing it wrong all along. :oops: