LOOKING FOR TEAM

Please post all job ads here ONLY
s4lbullet

LOOKING FOR TEAM

Post by s4lbullet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey Im looking for a team to make an rpg or mmo if possible I need modelers textures sounds character creators well what a team needs you must have xfire if not go get it its free . I am going for a world of warcraft/runescape look if not online its ok a regular rpg will work but I need a team I can not do it all by myself. thanks

I REALLY NEED A CHARACTER AND WEAPON DESIGNER!!!

scott

Post by scott » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:34 am

hi and welcome to the forums.
not to put you down or anyone else who may actualy help you but i have been on these forums for along time and there seems to be a trend being set, people just like you want to make games, have all the ideas but cant make it on their own so they ask for help, i know, i once have been there and done it, i was offerd help but in the end the person backed out, and as someone else has mentiond in the forums, everyone here has good intentions but they come here to make thier own game mainly, so even if people say yes they will help, as they have done before, dont hold out for them, i did and it was a bad mistake, it delayed my project by months, but saying that, i do belive that a few people have helped each other in starting to make a game, not sure if its still on going so there may be some help, your best bet in my opinion is now you have the tool to make the game, go find forums/communities that are specific in the areas you require, so 3d modeler find a 3d forum, for texturing look for art forums and so on, try and find people who want to get there work out there but mabe not intentionaly in a game, talk to them, get them to do some work offer them credit (name in credits, have a pause at a critical part of the game and shove there name on screen) or payment dependng on your circumstanses and how serious you are at making a game, mabe say a percentage of profit made by the game, i belive this would be your best hope of finding people to help you.
*GD*

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:13 am

Why do you want to make something like runescape? That game just sucks and it''s made for people who doesn't have strong computer, because all of the newest MMORPGs have excellent graphics(Gothic 3, Oblivion etc.). I suggest you make a world of your own because that's what attract all players :wink:

P.S.: Multiplayer script is still being made.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:06 am

WOW. so u want to make a mmo or rpg game. i will help you as i want to make a rpg myself and its tough. i need to know some info first.

the team: how many programmers do u have, how many people do u have

The game: have u got any story planned out or are you just making it up along the way

what engine are you using. for a rpg or mmo i do not reccomend using RF. i think u should use a more powerful engine if you plan on actually finishing this project. eg. TORQUE or GAMEBRYO(stick with torque as its a lot cheaper)

are you commited to spending time on this project. it better not be that you have great ideas first then you back out and waste our time and efforts.

have you got any prior experience in game development. have you ever created 3D games.

these are some important questions that you must be able to answer easily. it doesent really matter to me that much but i would like some info on this project.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:31 pm

I am not sure about that mmo thing but i really like making rpgs. Like BLACK_PHOENIX, i would appreciate a bit more information.

I am not the best modeller for humans and animals but i am good (i think) at terrain creation and modelling the easy things like medieval weapons, items and ambience objects like beds for example (low-poly). I also can model low-poly trees and make Textures, and i know a bit of programming/scripting, but not THAT much.
However, my best ability lies in combining all those other abilities together, so i am mostly a leveldesigner.

Apropros trend:
I think it's funny. 3 years before i was the only one in this community who wanted to make a rpg. Most people wanted to do fps.

But now we are getting flooded by poeple who want to make a mmorpg. I like those games but there are problems with getting a story to work with them. Also there is the cost factor, bacause it can get really costy in the end.
Rpgs are also getting more popular. I think it's beause of the great success of the Gothic (1, 2, 3) and Elder Scrolls(Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion) series.

What comes next?

PS: welcome to the forums :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

s4lbullet

Post by s4lbullet » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:57 pm

Yes just tellin you I am not new I am not a good programmer I am a modeler and I was looking for programmers but no I have to use a free engine so can you give me link to a good free one we can use that will suite your needs but I have experience mapping for halo halflife counterstrike and many other games.

scott

Post by scott » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 pm

nothing wrong with runescape, it still has thousands of players and has been for years, it works so must be good to some people and they have paying customers dont they? why go for something like WoW where people have to pay to play, runescape is free to download and free to play, u can pay for extra options. i would be happy to make something like runscape.
*GD*

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:52 am

well the engine depends on how complictaed the game will be.

we could use the panda 3d engine as its perfect for mmorpgs
and i dont think it will be a big problem doing the story. for example FLYFF. it dosent really have a main story. the main purpose is to fly for fun and i think that purpose made this game popular. i think we should look at other games and try and build a core game. with just a basic story and basic designs we can then think on how to do the main story while making it a never ending mmo.

here are some good examples(research these):
phantasy star universe
fylff
ragnarok online
guild wars

if you need modlers or weapon/clothes designers i can do that. ive had over 3 years of experience with maya and 3ds max, so i think it'll be easy for me. the programming will probably be the hardest thing as we will need some1 who has a lot of time and patience to do the project.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

I know Hike1 is heavily involved in an RPG engine, i think it's called DungeonHack or something like that. That may be worth checking into.

Runescape is fun for a bit, but then it gets really repetitive. I got to about level 39 and then I quit. My friend got really high-level and at one point had full Zammy armor. It was pretty addictive. I would certainly try to be as helpful as possible if you we're making something like it, but like most people here I have a full plate with my other two projects so I don't know how much help I would be.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:26 am

we could use realm crafter. or we could just use dungeon hack.

i wouldnt really call runescape a "3D" game. the camera was like a 2 year old programmed it. and whats with the java and browser thing. if i were you s4lbullet i would focus at an actual 3D game like WOW or FYLFF.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:19 pm

s4bullet are you still here? because i send you a PM a week ago and you still haven't read it...

EDIT: It's the 15th now, so i think you were just visiting our forum to search for a team...I deleted the PM...
Last edited by Jay on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:12 pm

I just found a really interesting free MMORPG engine:

http://www.nevrax.org/tikiwiki/tiki-vie ... hp?faqId=1

GNU license (free software, but no free content, meaning you can produce a game and sell it because you are being paid for the content.)

EDIT: Well now that's what i call BIG: the engine itself seems to have ~45MB where the include files alone have 4,5MB....irrlicht, for example, comes to ~2MB all in all for win32 with 600-700KB for the includes.

EDIT2: LOL documentation is 113MB PACKED :lol: (downloading it at the moment)
-----