LtForce's game thread

Please post all job ads here ONLY
LtForce

LtForce's game thread

Post by LtForce » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 am

I'm currently developing my virtual school project but I have got plans for future. I'm planning to make a stealth game(we played this game with my friend at night in the forest and it was real fun, only without guns of course). It's night with complete darkness and there are a few lights quite far away. All player have only 1 hp and 2 bullets. All players are divided into two teams. And so the game begins. You have to move silently through the forest and if you touch any tree you make a noise so opposing team can hear you. Player has only 2 bullets so he/she can't shoot whenever he wants to. This game should be quite interesting online, so I hopw that multiplayer script will be out soon.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:23 am

sounds very interesting... Mabey one team would have no guns at all in some modes? but like they would be more stealthish? Anyway its a cool concept, what kind of setting are you going for?

BTW is this thread in the "Job Postings" section for a reason???

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:39 am

Yeah, maybe I'll listen to your advice. There will be these mods:
1) Just fight in the forest between two teams;
2) Guards and thieves(you know, guards guard treasure or something and thieves try to steal it);
3) Your_suggestions;

Whel I'll start making this project(on summer holliday) I'll be happy to receive mods from any users and I'll make my site where people can upload their mods, this will make game much more interesting and dynamic, not static.

I know that you'll all say that this game is copy of thieve: deadly shadows, but this will be multiplayer based game and there will be no shadow "places" where noone can see you and light "places" where everyone can see you, just pure darkness - night. And on that second mod guards will have flashlights, and more weapons, but thieves won't make big sounds. BTW, flashlights won't be that good, because everyone will have only 1hp so if someone uses a flashlight he will be seen too. I don't think I'm going to change the idea of only 1hp because I think it's what makes my game quite original
Lithuanians for Georgia!

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:50 am

yeah dont change that, i like the idea of its not okay to get shot (witch in real life is quite true, you dont normlly get hit by 50 rounds then think oh well i still have 10hp let me run away now)

also the idea of pure darkness will be fun, and with clever use of sound you could have a very nice atmosphere, Im just curious do you know how RF handles 3D sound? cause it will be important to know the direction of that foot step if you want to take the shot...

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Very original idea, I must admit. I like the sound of it, but you might run into some problems ...

First of all, will the screen be completely black (apart from those 'lights quite far away') ? And will the players have to move and shoot based on sounds?
Because if so, this game might be fairly hard to play with no sounds in the PC, or with bad speakers.
PsYco here had a great idea for a game where you play as a blind boy. He talked with me about it and we came up with some decent ideas. I think the same ideas could be used here in this project. For example, there could be a sort of 'sound vision' - every time a player makes a sound, he would become visible for a short amount of time. His outer lines would flash, or something.
I think this would produce a very nice effect and you wouldn't have to rely on good sound system so much.

Secondly, the one-shot-kill idea is perfect for a sneaking game like this, but will the players have any other weapons than the one with two bullets?
I think everyone should have a melee weapon, so you can actually do something if you run out of bullets.

These are just suggestions for the gameplay, and it's totally up to you whether you use them or not. We also had some other neat ideas with psYco, but I don't think I will reveal them without his permission. :D
...and psYco, please do let me know if I shouldn't have said anything about the 'blind project'. :oops:
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:29 pm

@Juutis: Hehe dont worry man, I still want to do something about that project some time but i just cant seem to get into it, I definitely will try donate some time to it in the upcoming hols, (these ones have been hectic)

And about the complete darkness, I think that some of those ideas would be cool, but Ive often noticed that we (as a speciese) do infact have some basic night vision and so often even in almost total darkness we can see everything bathed in the faintest of blue glows, i think that that would be easy to do in RF by just setting the default lite in the level editor on compiling to be like R4 B12 G7 this would make it dark, but with that kinda moon glow so if you heard some one walk past and you turnd around you could look hard and see the guy and put a bullet in his back :)

Also I agree it would be cool to have some melee weps in the game cause then you could have a loud speaker in the middle of the map, that screems "HUUUUUUUUUMILIATION!!!" when you knife someone, i always miss that in games with out a reward for meleeing ppl... :D

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Yeah, meele weapon would come in handy. I like that part about sound vision too, but I'm not a scipter so I'll need some help. And what do you guys think about feature to upload your own mods? Do you think this feature would make chaos? or should I leave it?
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah, our eyes adapt to the darkness (it takes some time, though), and even the tinyest glow of light is enough for us to see the shape of objects.

If you're planning to start this in the summer, I think I can give you a hand in the scripting part. My school will be over (for now) in three months and I will probably have a lot of free time.

And about those mods. I think it would bring some fresh ideas and the game would be less likely to become boring. The only bad thing is, it's hard to do that in RF.
Would every mod be a new installation of your game?
I guess people could upload mods and you could then mix them all with your game.

Ohh, and I love to play CS on servers with the mod where the "HUMILIATION!" sound plays if you kill someone with knife. :D
It really spices up the game and encourages you to kill people with the knife.
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Well I think the mods would be a good idea since then there would be more of a comunity feel, since game modes can be 'made by the people for the people' and as far as making them you could just upload a free SDK for your game, perhaps all the basic files witch would then be in a 'dumbd down' form of RF (if that could exist) then anyone could download this and use the media from your game to make their own mods, this would tho mean having a new install for each mod

(I dont think there is another way unless you mabey use that 'character select' feature i saw in the new RF demo, then people would simply up load the new stuff that ppl would install into the place where the game is and activate it by choosing a different mode [witch would be done by effectively selecting a different character] Im not sure if its possible to change game conditions and that in this way, since im not too familiar with the char select thing, i just know that you can change the starting map...)

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:57 pm

Yeah, this is excellent idea, but if I won't be able to do it I think the game will be set this way:

|-------------MOD1 folder
MAIN folder -----------|-------------MOD2 folder
|-------------MOD2 folder
there will be new install for each mod, but they will all go to main folder so there will be no chaos, I hope...
There will be alot of downloading so I'll put a tutorial into my website how to put into install only necessary things. BTW, does anyone know a good host?
Lithuanians for Georgia!

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:17 pm

I've tried that R4 B12 G7 thing and it works quite good, but I think that you could see anyone moving quite easly
Lithuanians for Georgia!

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:17 pm

well that was just a guess mabey make it lower? And about the host I use file front and i think its unlimited space and its free, only your uploads cant take longer than 10 hours (witch was a problem for me with school of the dead, i had to install it in the dead of nite while the net was quite) But its a good host, ive had only good experiences with them. Its the same host RF useses for the downloads.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Hey dude,I've tried out that RGB you wrote me and it rocks, looks very nice! Maybe I'll make it a bit darker, but still, it look very good
Lithuanians for Georgia!