MASSIVE GAME CALLED CITY CRIME updated details of game

Please post all job ads here ONLY
gamedevexpert

MASSIVE GAME CALLED CITY CRIME updated details of game

Post by gamedevexpert » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I am currently writing up the project city crime I need a very huge team of at least 100 people to make this happen. The game itself will have over 1000 miles of city for the player to be engaged in,it will have pedestrians on the street,cars,and about 30 different weapons.Also the player will be able to enter over 100 different buildings so if enterested pm me.
Yea sorry to leave you hanging guys heres some of the features and details of the game.

FEATURES
1.First person and 3rd person views
2.Huge city/might have to be split up into different levels on current version of engine.
3.Very detailed main character model
4.Able to go into alot of buildings.
5.Roads/trees/skyscrapers/car/Ai
6.Very thrilling storyline

DETAILS
1.Might be sold
2.The reason I wont so many people is because I am starting a huge game dev company
3.Will not be paid unless It is sold
Team members I need
1.Scripters/programmers
2.Level designers
3.Model creators
4.Artist to draw out city
5.Website creators
6.Lead designer
7.Producer
maybe more
THE WAY I WOULD LIKE THE PLAYER TO LOOK IS SORT OF LIKE A BUM WITH LONG BLACK HAIR A BEARD ABOUT 40 YRS OLD

Last edited by gamedevexpert on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sph!nx

Re: MASSIVE GAME CALLED CITY CRIME

Post by Sph!nx » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:43 pm

gamedevexpert wrote:... I need a very huge team of at least 100 people ...
Wow, don't think you will have much luck around here. Mostly independent game developers here. Good luck anyway!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow, that is a large project there. Are you recruiting for a game company? I ask that because a game that is that huge is not possible on the current version of RF. Also, if this is your first game, online based teams, at least from here, have never worked well. Sorry, to be such a stick in the mud, but it is strange to have someone just sign in to the forums and immediately ask for help on such a massive project. Tell us more about yourself and your idea.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:13 am

MakerOfGames wrote:Wow, that is a large project there. Are you recruiting for a game company? I ask that because a game that is that huge is not possible on the current version of RF. Also, if this is your first game, online based teams, at least from here, have never worked well. Sorry, to be such a stick in the mud, but it is strange to have someone just sign in to the forums and immediately ask for help on such a massive project. Tell us more about yourself and your idea.
lots of ppl do that
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:32 am

Really? I guess it shows how often I actually come to this section of the forums :lol:. I don't usually do. Anyhow, I still stick with my question of more info. How can anyone help if you don't tell us upfront what you want? Also I am curious as to why such a large team. Professionals use those numbers but they do things in offices, not over the net. Anyhow, yeah, more info please.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

scott

Post by scott » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:53 pm

i agree, big games that make millions of pounds have teams of around 100, these are the games you see in the game stores that are #1 in the charts anc for companies who have a reputation, such teams would include the halo developers, GTA team and teams like that, tbh if your coming here to get games such as that it isnt going to happen, theres not even 100 active users here, people come and they go. If this is your first game and not of a company then try and aim lower, maybe a village or two with some land between, short story that will give the player something to do, games like the one you mentiond have not been done before, at least not on that scale, GTA: SA comes close and games like that take over 3 years to make and most indi developers loose interest after about 6 months if that (apart from the team leader who has the vision)

anyway some helpful tips to get people to join a team.
leave as much information about your game as possible
story line
game play
features of the game e.g. what the player will be able to do that are not present in other games, or what is in other games that you think would work well in a combonation.
also give information abut yourself and your situation.
have you got any sort of team
have you got any of the game made
how long do you plan on the game taking
will people be paid or is it volentry work
are you selling the game
what the game is intended for

if you leave all this information then people will be able to see where the project is going and if its worth joining, wich in my opinion and experience is a good thing because the last thing you want to do is at 6 months into the project you dont have a team any more.

and dark master, yes there are alot of people who come and leave big projects here, but none have asked for this many people, infact hardly any this big, the most ive ever seen here are people asking for about 12 people to join, not 100 "_"
*GD*

Destron

Re: MASSIVE GAME CALLED CITY CRIME updated details of game

Post by Destron » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Wow, I don't know where to start. :x

By taking one look at your post, I can estimate that you are about 10 years old, are a gamer, and haven't actually made a game before this. Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

On to business.
The game itself will have over 1000 miles of city for the player to be engaged in
Dude, wtf? DO you have ANY idea how much space that is? Hell, california's only 770 miles long. I'll crap myself if somebody can show me a city that's 1000 miles across. Be serious here.
Also the player will be able to enter over 100 different buildings
Ummm... yeah... so that'll take up MAYBE 30 miles out of the 1000 you have planned. What's left? Desolate wastelands?
Very detailed main character model
What defines "very detailed"? I assume you're using RF here, so fun trying to make it look like Crysis. Besides, your game will look really funny if your main character looks awesome and all the NPCs and other characters don't.
Very thrilling storyline
Yeah, uh huh. What you're doing sounds like a GTA rip-off. I can't wait. </sarcasm>
The reason I wont so many people is because I am starting a huge game dev company
Cool, but it appears that you have no experience. You can't just hop onto a forum and say "hey, I need a hundred people to make my game!" and expect everybody to drop what they're doing and start working for you. It doesn't work like that.
THE WAY I WOULD LIKE THE PLAYER TO LOOK IS SORT OF LIKE A BUM WITH LONG BLACK HAIR A BEARD ABOUT 40 YRS OLD
For crying out loud, turn off caps-lock! This is evidence of aforementioned inexperience.

The biggest question: If, for some reason, this project goes through and you manage to finish it, do you have ANY idea how big it would be in terms of data?
I'm bad at estimates, but I'm guessing it would probably take hundreds of gigabytes to store all the data you have planned...

In my honest opinion, this is NO way of going about trying to recruit game developers, especially for the large company that you have planned. If you're looking for a good recruitment/help wanted post, look at this: [link].
You should notice a few things about it.
These are the key points:
- The project has a clear focus; the writer of this post knows what he is getting into, and while wanting to make a game with a large scope, has realistic goals.
- The design of the post itself is very professional; everything is laid out clearly and nothing is left very 'vague'.
- Concept art and "progress" is shown; the writer obviously has a clear idea of what he wants, and has something to show to people that might be interested in joining his team.
- This is one of many different threads; that is, the leader of the project is working in "phases", and shows that game has progressed in each newer thread: 2nd thread - 3rd thread - 4th thread - fifth thread

To sum it all up:
- Be professional
- Have realistic goals
- Have a clear design
- Make sure you have an original idea
- Show your work

I'm really sorry if I come off as rude and condescending, because I understand that I'm doing that here (to some extent), but these things need to be said.
If you don't believe me, post an exact copy of your post in the GameDev.net Help Wanted section and read the responses, if you get any.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Destron wrote:Wow, I don't know where to start. :x

By taking one look at your post, I can estimate that you are about 10 years old, are a gamer, and haven't actually made a game before this. Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

On to business.
The game itself will have over 1000 miles of city for the player to be engaged in
Dude, wtf? DO you have ANY idea how much space that is? Hell, california's only 770 miles long. I'll crap myself if somebody can show me a city that's 1000 miles across. Be serious here.
Also the player will be able to enter over 100 different buildings
Ummm... yeah... so that'll take up MAYBE 30 miles out of the 1000 you have planned. What's left? Desolate wastelands?
Very detailed main character model
What defines "very detailed"? I assume you're using RF here, so fun trying to make it look like Crysis. Besides, your game will look really funny if your main character looks awesome and all the NPCs and other characters don't.
Very thrilling storyline
Yeah, uh huh. What you're doing sounds like a GTA rip-off. I can't wait. </sarcasm>
The reason I wont so many people is because I am starting a huge game dev company
Cool, but it appears that you have no experience. You can't just hop onto a forum and say "hey, I need a hundred people to make my game!" and expect everybody to drop what they're doing and start working for you. It doesn't work like that.
For crying out loud, turn off caps-lock! This is evidence of aforementioned inexperience.

The biggest question: If, for some reason, this project goes through and you manage to finish it, do you have ANY idea how big it would be in terms of data?
I'm bad at estimates, but I'm guessing it would probably take hundreds of gigabytes to store all the data you have planned...

In my honest opinion, this is NO way of going about trying to recruit game developers, especially for the large company that you have planned. If you're looking for a good recruitment/help wanted post, look at this: [link].
You should notice a few things about it.
These are the key points:
- The project has a clear focus; the writer of this post knows what he is getting into, and while wanting to make a game with a large scope, has realistic goals.
- The design of the post itself is very professional; everything is laid out clearly and nothing is left very 'vague'.
- Concept art and "progress" is shown; the writer obviously has a clear idea of what he wants, and has something to show to people that might be interested in joining his team.
- This is one of many different threads; that is, the leader of the project is working in "phases", and shows that game has progressed in each newer thread: 2nd thread - 3rd thread - 4th thread - fifth thread

To sum it all up:
- Be professional
- Have realistic goals
- Have a clear design
- Make sure you have an original idea
- Show your work

I'm really sorry if I come off as rude and condescending, because I understand that I'm doing that here (to some extent), but these things need to be said.
If you don't believe me, post an exact copy of your post in the GameDev.net Help Wanted section and read the responses, if you get any.
but but...... his name is gamedev expert. /sarcasm
sorry i had to
Last edited by darksmaster923 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Rule #32 of the Internet: If somebody has the word "master" in their avatar, then they aren't a master. </sarcasm>
Last edited by Destron on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Destron wrote:...

Rule #32 of the Internet: If somebody has the word "master" in their avatar, then they aren't a master.
fixed teh post
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Yes, I knew you were joking. Mine was sarcasm too. Post fixed. :mrgreen: