Need a few people to form a team

Please post all job ads here ONLY
Jay
RF Dev Team

Need a few people to form a team

Post by Jay » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:53 pm

First of all, this post is serious. Once i have the people, i am going to go make this thing, no matter what.

The idea is to make a simple game that can be used in an application to a game company.

In the team, i will be:
-Level Designer
-Scripter

I need:
-Modeller - EDIT : Voltare
-Texture Artist
-A Musician - EDIT: paradoxnj

I want to concentrate on the LevelDesign part as much as possible. The time schedule will be tight. I want the highest quality possible from all team members, and i want to use as less preused content as possible. For example, i am going to write all scripts from scratch and i am going to build every level brush by brush. The game should not be too big, but should have at least 2-3 levels. I am completely open about the theme. I would prefer some mix of fantasy and sci-fi and the game should be hack-and-slash or shooter-like. The preferences are action and fun (fun-action).

I can not offer any material payment (=money), but of course all names will be inserted into the credits. This is all i can offer.

Oh and please don't call me crazy. I know very well that what i am trying to do is crazy.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

dylanwinn

Re: Need a few people to form a team

Post by dylanwinn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 am

I am also trying to form a team. Think we could merge? I also have an idea for a game:

Code: Select all

It is the year 2036, and NASA has outdone themselves. With the aid of the European and Japanese space agencies, they have Saved the Hubble Space telescope, finished the International Space Station, colonized the moon, saved the planet from a huge asteroid, and sent a manned mission to mars. Unfortunately, the 6 crew members of the Mars mission mysteriously disappeared from the surface of the planet, transmitting only a weak distress signal. As an reconnaissance expert and hardened space marine, you have been sent to recover the Mars base and find out what happened to the astronauts. Once there, you visit their last known location, and find signs of a struggle. While scouting around, you are attacked by a small UAV, and you play dead, thinking that you have been terminated, the robot returns to base, with you perusing just out of the range of its sensors. The UAV leads you to an underground military base, nearby which you find bodies of the crew. They had been taken hostage by a hostile alien race, and when their usefulness wore out, they were executed. As you fight your way out of the base, you discover an unraveling conspiracy, the aliens have been making deals with communist rulers and dictators since World War I, bribing them to destroy the planet Earth in exchange for the secrets to teleportation and faster-than-light travel. You also discover a planned attack on the United States, to be executed by China and Korea, with the Aliens dealing the final blow. You make it back to your ship and begin your flight back to earth, bearing information that is key to the survival of the universe. When you finally get back, you find that the war has already started, and you land on the moon instead. There, you tell the scientists about the Aliens, and they come up with a radical plan to destroy the Alien base before their super weapon is ready. Fighting hordes of enemy soldiers and civilians mutated by radiation, you then scour the Earth, Mars, and the moon for parts to build the world's largest Hydrogen Fusion Bomb, and return to Mars to set a beacon that will guide the H-Bomb to the Martian Base, and escape the planet just before the bomb detonates.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 am

Nice try, but i think your idea is too big. You would at least have to have those levels:

-Cutscene at the beginning
-Mars Station and a fairly big outdoor terrain
-Mars alien base
-Cutscene
-Moon base
-Levels (at elast 4) in which you gather the ressources for the H-Bomb
-Mars base revisited
-Ending Cutscene

8+ levels and 3+ cutscenes. In how much time do you want to achieve that? I am sorry, but i don't have that much time, and a finished small game is much better than if i say like 'Oh yeah, and i have this GREAT GAME in production, it is 10% finished'... That's what everyone says.

My reasons i want this game to stay small are:
1. If i have a full game, even if it is small, then that makes me 1000% better than the rest who has none. And maybe even better than some guy who studied informatics but hasn't programmed a game before.
2. Produing a full game shows that i have the skills, forethought, and motivation to stay with the project to the end.
3.Making a small game also shows that i can stay realistic and that i prefer quality over quantity.
4. It's better to present something small that is really good than something big that is just average, because you can easily forget the average thinghs.
5. I want to make this in a tight time schedule - because in the game industry time schedules are very tight, if not too tight. This shows i can also work under time pressure.

This game is made both for the fun of making it but also to have something to present in an aplication for a game company. But this is meant serious, and because of this i want the people in the team to stay with the project until the end. To make this easier, the team should be small, and the game too. (This makes it easier to stay with it untill the end)

Anyone?
-----

dylanwinn

Post by dylanwinn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for your feedback. You should know that my idea is more of a eventual goal, it won't happen until I make several smaller games. I would still be glad to help out, but I'm not sure how.

P.S. Do you have a concept prepared? I could help you make one...

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Ok. I have a basic concept now:

"Long, you have slept, threethousand and fivehundred years... You would have slept for eternity... But something happend, something that even your high priest Rahotep could not have anticipated..."
(Blinding Light flash, you see an egyptian tomb, and some raiders are stepping into it)
You are an egyptian pharaoh and have been disturbed in your eternal sleep. (The game begins immeadiatly after the intro-cutscene.) First, teach those robbers a lesson. And then, maybe there are some thinghs that also need to be taken care of before you can seal your grave and go to sleep again...

Awaken your old servants, and go on crusade, for it seems that your old enemy has also awakend, and is plotting something evil...

So that's the basic concept. You are a mumy and will be able to use some weapons, and also have some spells like 'rise dead' (lasts 15 seconds) and 'healing' . The game will most likely be a first person game. Your enemies are grave robbers, priests, skeletons, undead corpses, etc....

First Level: Your grave, and the ground base of the pyramid, involves a small cutscene at the beginning (mentioned above)
Second Level: middle part of the pyramid
Third Level: top part of the pyramid and the boss fight
Ending Cutscene in which some priests seal your grave and you go back to sleep.
-----

dylanwinn

Post by dylanwinn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:50 pm

That sounds alot easier to make than my idea, but somehow seems just as fun to play!

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:26 pm

I like... :)
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 am

I like......

Sorington

Post by Sorington » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:39 am

nice story! good luck :)
Greetings, Sorington

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:26 pm

I don't know if I'd be very good as a texture artist (have no digital camera and stuff), but maybe I might try to help as voice actor or webdesigner? Or do you need something else? Please PM me.

Trougedoor122

Post by Trougedoor122 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:43 am

dylanwinn wrote:I am also trying to form a team. Think we could merge? I also have an idea for a game:

Code: Select all

It is the year 2036, and NASA has outdone themselves. With the aid of the European and Japanese space agencies, they have Saved the Hubble Space telescope, finished the International Space Station, colonized the moon, saved the planet from a huge asteroid, and sent a manned mission to mars. Unfortunately, the 6 crew members of the Mars mission mysteriously disappeared from the surface of the planet, transmitting only a weak distress signal. As an reconnaissance expert and hardened space marine, you have been sent to recover the Mars base and find out what happened to the astronauts. Once there, you visit their last known location, and find signs of a struggle. While scouting around, you are attacked by a small UAV, and you play dead, thinking that you have been terminated, the robot returns to base, with you perusing just out of the range of its sensors. The UAV leads you to an underground military base, nearby which you find bodies of the crew. They had been taken hostage by a hostile alien race, and when their usefulness wore out, they were executed. As you fight your way out of the base, you discover an unraveling conspiracy, the aliens have been making deals with communist rulers and dictators since World War I, bribing them to destroy the planet Earth in exchange for the secrets to teleportation and faster-than-light travel. You also discover a planned attack on the United States, to be executed by China and Korea, with the Aliens dealing the final blow. You make it back to your ship and begin your flight back to earth, bearing information that is key to the survival of the universe. When you finally get back, you find that the war has already started, and you land on the moon instead. There, you tell the scientists about the Aliens, and they come up with a radical plan to destroy the Alien base before their super weapon is ready. Fighting hordes of enemy soldiers and civilians mutated by radiation, you then scour the Earth, Mars, and the moon for parts to build the world's largest Hydrogen Fusion Bomb, and return to Mars to set a beacon that will guide the H-Bomb to the Martian Base, and escape the planet just before the bomb detonates.
space marines is a games workshop product http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=