Looking for work (Scripting, UI, General Design)

Please post all job ads here ONLY
Jay
RF Dev Team

Looking for work (Scripting, UI, General Design)

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Hello all,

I am looking for a serios and realistic project to participate to. It should be uncommercial (well, making a commercial project with RF is... a bit unrealistic)

Thinghs i am good at:
-Scripting (All areas, from UI scripting, over scripted players, to enemy scripting)
-General Design (If you want to do that, it's ok, but maybe i will bring in some of my own ideas :wink: )
-Level Design (But i don't think many here will need that :wink: )

I am not so good at modelling.

The only thing i demand is that you are motivated in the project, and that you will NOT leave or abandon the project. I have been inivited in so many projects that were abandoned halfway-through or in which members left without saying it isn't funny anymore.

I hope to get through this time. You can PM me or answer here if you like.

But i have to mention, i just moved and in the next 1-2 weeks my answers may come a bit sporadic or late because internet still has to be done.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Zidane

Re: Looking for work (Scripting, UI, General Design)

Post by Zidane » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Can you comment any details of the game?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 am

No, No, i am LOOKING for a project to participate to. I am not looking for people, but i want to join someone who wants to make something, and is motivated enough to work at it until it is finished.

I put this in Job postings because i found no other forum which contained people looking for work and it seems related.
-----

Zidane

Post by Zidane » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Ah ok ok

You can answer in the spanish comunity

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 pm

hello Jay! (little mixup there:) )

1. How much are you charging, or do you simply want to work with someone who is serious, for free? Be honest.
2. Do you do texture art for levels as well? GUI included?
3. Can you BUILD levels or at least brainstorm and help me come up with better levels than Ive got?
4. I model in blender but im not too good. If I export models can you animate them, or know someone realiable who can?
5. Im looking mainly for someone to port from Blender to *.act format and create textures for my maps.

A.I is still on my research list, If your serious and a willing, Ill create a character in Blender and find out how to get it to the format that RealityFactory can read. Ill start with basic animations and you can jumpstart the character with a.i. Nothing too complex. I feel having an avatar, something interactive to start with will help the project along. It will get us both to use our skills and have something to play around with while building the title.

ive been serious ever since I started in Junior High School with an appleII GS running B.A.S.I.C. I moved onto Qbasic and gave up until I discovered TGC. They still have a few years of R&D to do on their FSPC engine before I can use it. Reality factory is already there. All I need is someone who isnt going to abandon the project at the first missed post.

Im serious, and Ive started a thread for my project, its just that, between work and school , I dont have an excess amount of time to work on it. Its not going to be a commercial product. However, if it does well...... a working title is better than a demo or a stack of concepts you know?

Ready when you are Zidane. That is unless youve been PM'd with a better offer.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:22 am

5. Im looking mainly for someone to port from Blender to *.act format
I can do that. Probably. If bernie ha figured out what's wrong with the nfo importer on Equity, I'll go check now.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 am

1. How much are you charging, or do you simply want to work with someone who is serious, for free? Be honest.
Well, if you are actually making money with the game, then i would want to have part of it :wink: , but mainly i am just looking to work with someone who will do the project till the end. If that's what you mean by serious, good.
2. Do you do texture art for levels as well? GUI included?
3. Can you BUILD levels or at least brainstorm and help me come up with better levels than Ive got?
Yes i can do those two too. I like making GUIs :) And levels will be no prob.
4. I model in blender but im not too good. If I export models can you animate them, or know someone realiable who can?
5. Im looking mainly for someone to port from Blender to *.act format and create textures for my maps.
Animation is definitely my weak point
I can do a little bit of modelling, but don't count too much on it. I normally only model props for levels and such, not player characters and npcs.
A.I is still on my research list, If your serious and a willing, Ill create a character in Blender and find out how to get it to the format that RealityFactory can read. Ill start with basic animations and you can jumpstart the character with a.i. Nothing too complex. I feel having an avatar, something interactive to start with will help the project along. It will get us both to use our skills and have something to play around with while building the title.

ive been serious ever since I started in Junior High School with an appleII GS running B.A.S.I.C. I moved onto Qbasic and gave up until I discovered TGC. They still have a few years of R&D to do on their FSPC engine before I can use it. Reality factory is already there. All I need is someone who isnt going to abandon the project at the first missed post.

Im serious, and Ive started a thread for my project, its just that, between work and school , I dont have an excess amount of time to work on it. Its not going to be a commercial product. However, if it does well...... a working title is better than a demo or a stack of concepts you know?

Ready when you are Zidane. That is unless youve been PM'd with a better offer.
Sounds good to me. I just looked at your project and it seems that you are both being realistic and serious about it. Yeah i am ready.

(btw, i think this piece of the post was directed at me, not Zidane?)

@Zidane:
Well, i can't speak or read or write spanish, so that would be a slight problem.
-----

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Jay are you still with me? Its been hectic at work and ist gonna happen again, I just got some rtime to get onto the computer but i cant upload, im just passing through and will have more time tomorrow. I think Im going to have to find some more people to help. But im going to upload all of the ideas tomorrow with my sketches and all. Would you rather diownload a PDF?, I can make one quick and puit everythign inside, its quick and I use open office. I could put all of the sketches and story into one file and update it when its time to changhe so people can follow the work like a.... reality show :). Anyway I know its beenm long time since I posted but Jay im really starting to be spread thin. I goto more school in the fall and one ends in June. I hope you stay on and wwe can find some others to join us to speed the project up.

Aside from that, I think a PDF would be better but until I get your ok Ill just uopload images to the forums.
And im going to need a modeler, a better one than myself, my work is coming out sloppy and the poly count is through the roof. The Blender poly reducer and the decimator modifier built in tear my models to pieces and I cant bring the count down. Anyway Ill upload the sketches and all the data I have, its a large package and I hoep you have some input so the idea can become better anmd more interesting.

Lets use a free 3d model to work from for now just to fill in space and when tyhere smore time I can figure out hwo to create a better model.... or heck ask someone to take my scribbles and build a klow poly model out of it.

Please forgive me I keep confusing you with zidane! Your Jay im realityfactoryusr, you can call me rfu for short.
Cya tomorrow

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:23 pm

I must admit, i was slightly worried. :D But no problem, i am still with you. A pdf would be good, to have it all together in one file.
-----

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:19 pm

what a relief! thanks for staying on board. Im in a rush today again, im about to head off to work ina few minutes but as Ive said im going to upload my ideas here. The sketches are giving me some trouble and I could only get one online. Its my fault (I guess) but here goes. Ive changed the story slightly so the main character has some personality and has some sort of skill. A cook in an FPS isnt too interesting, but a hacker....:

-EDIT- Content has changed. ill post the updates later.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
During the course of the game, your PDA will inform you that within the high oxygen atmosphere, some of the larvae types became volatile. That is, they exploded upon birth. The 'maggots' remained intact however. The genetic fluid the larvae resided inside of reacts violently to high oxygen levels. Once these got loose and wreaked havok, other specimens got loose and the whole containment system collapsed.

**JAY- any ideas are welcome or references I can use for art. Im going blind with the art since I dont have much time, but ill find it somewhere. Im going to assemble this into a PDF which is easier anyway. Ill upload one file with all of the information inside of it.
Last edited by realityfactoryusr on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:25 pm

That sounds really cool so far. I would love to make it a sneak-like-game where you have to avoid the enemies because they are so strong (you can fight them, but it's not advised), while also you must solve some puzzles. After some brainstorming i came up with the following ideas:

Sneak-And-Hide:
Like i mentionend before, the enemies are strong and so you have to hide from them and/or trick them to defeat them. They could see you if you stand in the light, or hear you if you are walking on loud floor. Or if you are pointing a flashlight at their face...

Horror-Feeling:
We could make it so that in most areas the levels are dark (not completely dark however, just that you don't see everything always), and you have to use a flashlight to make it brighter. Also, a black far-fog would be nice (so that the player can't see very far until it gets dark.) Imagine pointing a flashlight at some alien and then it discovers you... that would be wicked!

Lights and Sounds:
We could make it so that some machines can be turned on and off, so that they for example make noise or emit light. Which could then benefit you while your hiding from the aliens...

The PDA:
I would love it if the PDA has a central role in the game. It could have the following attributes:
-It is a small light source if it is turned on/used. It's not really much (the flashlight is way better), but it's enough so that others may see you, so you must be careful when you use it!
-It needs energy if you use it.
-You can recharge it's energy at various recharge-stations in the ship
-It holds story informations and story-progress-infos (kinda like a quest-log)
-You can plug it into various Ship-Systems to download information about the ship, the place you are currently at and enemies in the game. Switch this with your idea of the pda hacking into the computer and giving you information throughout the game, and it will be more interesting. We could make the points where you can download the infos hard to get to or hard to find to make them like secret points in the game. (It always encourages me to know that there are secrets to uncover! :) ). In every level there should be at least one or two of those spots.
-I am not sure about it, but it would certainly be interesting to be able to make some noise with the PDA and use it as a distraction... (but then again this could be just a gimmick)

Portable Life Generator:
Can be filled with the repair-life-form you mentioned and has one use until it has to refilled. It will create a small area where you can regenerate your health... But it makes much noise. You do not have this in the beginning, but can gain it throughout the game.

Please tell me what you think!
-----

Matte

Post by Matte » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Amazing concept art of the infected maintenance working there! After reading all this, I'm getting excited :D.
I'm not really good at it and I CERTAINLY don't want to steal your topic, Jay, but if you need someone for the smaller things (menu or crosshair; I'm also quite good at creating levels in my mind, and drawing them, but not getting them into the level creator :D). Please PM me if I can do anything.
Good luck anyway!

Matte

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 pm

@Jay
Thats a good idea, but I have no idea how, or if the Genesis engine can script something like hiding from NPC's in shadows, NPC's reacting to flashlights or sounds. Your the main scripter though, so Jay, its all in your hands. Ill Im going to look up scripting. Im gonna have a few extra hours on the weekend. Its ugly outside anyway, so ill stay indoors. Ill watch the Wolverine movie once the crowds die down.

The horror feeling might...not...work. I forgot to mention that I wanted this to be more of a colorful game, similar to Ratchet and clank. The horror effect wouldnt work with candy colors. Add to that, well need an better texture artist than myself. I like the idea of the flashlights and horror, but Im not a veteran with this engine yet. So, the more people we find, the better we can make the title. Like I said, im sold on the creeping, sneaking horror, but im not sure the engine can do it, or if either of us alone is skilled enough to pull it off. Lets worry about that later.

Jay.....I think you may be referring to the Doom3 engine perhaps? You know what, why dont we start on this atmospheric content first? Lets build a test map with all of the atmosphere youve suggested. We can use premade textures for now as placeholders. Im going to download a bundle, and feel free to find some of your own. We have to make sure we can manipulate lights and actually use a flashlight before we get moving with the actual gameplay. If it doesnt work though.....would you still make a game with a less horrific atmosphere? It doesnt HAVE to be cartoonish, just something that can be done in a reasonable amount of time and work.

I like your expansion on the PDA idea. I was just going to use it a way to tell the story! These ideas are definitely useful to adding depth to the game, but we have to see whats possible in the engine. And I love secrets in maps as well. Rememebr I mentioned that I slashed a few maps from the overall? Maybe those can be secret maps that you have to uncover by finding secret keys or panels like the good old Doom games! Plus uncovering backgroudn story and snippets of information about characters, the ship itself, who built it, its military history, the battles its seen and why its been decommissioned as a war vessel. Lets come up with the background data while assembling the game and getting it to function first. Also I dont think the PDA should fill the whole screen, obscure the players view. Maybe it can pop up on screen without getting in the way.

About the portable life generator, you are referring to the flora that regenrates your health right? You mean be able to carry some of the material with you in portable form? Like putting some of the spores(?) into a hypodermic, or lugging around a sack full of flora and setting it up to use? Im sorry if Im making this complicated, but Im kind of confused on this last part.

***You come up with an idea for a level, Ill draw as much as I can as best as I can (maybe Matte will help if he wants)and we can go back and forth with planning lights and shadows. After setting the map up in RF, than you can work your magic with scripting if thats what it takes to manipulate the lights. Or if there are simple enough lightmap controls, we can just use that.***

I think the ideas are excellent, but im not sure if our current technology can handle it. If so, than by all means. If not, well just have to find a different art direction.
**By the way, I just realized Im posting all over your thread, would you like to move over to my WIP thread or stay here in the Job forum?

@Matte
Thankyou. In case your referring to Jay though, the concept art was done by me. I have several others.

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Sat May 02, 2009 5:24 pm

-EDIT- It sure hurts taking the pix down, but they have been updated and built in 3D. Once there is tangible content like a DEMO, Ill repost the new scribbles.
Last edited by realityfactoryusr on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue May 05, 2009 12:16 am

I found out that in the current version of RF is it not possible to get the Lighting of an object by script. There is a function that makes the ambient lighting of an actor the same as the lighting is on the floor beneath the object (that means that a light makes the ambient lighting brighter etc.). I was thinking we could the get this value and use it for the calculation if the enemy can see you. However, i think it can be implemented into RF easily (at least i hope so).

That said, i was thinking more along the lines of Thief: The Dark Project than Doom 3. The engine of Thief: The Dark Project is at least as old as the Genesis3D engine and the game still had much tension and for the times back it could be considered horror in some levels. The idea that enemies can see and hear you is also borrowed from the Thief series. By the way, if you can somehow get a copy of Thief: The Dark Project, you should get it and play it. The atmosphere they created with lights and sounds - awesome, and then the level design - absolutely the best in all games i have ever played. KI was also great. The guards (which you had to avoid because they are better fighters than you while you are also stealing stuff and try to get to the main item you want to snitch, in hard or expert mode you are not allowed to kill anyone and also must get out of the house after you snitched enough) talked about stuff and with those informations you could get further. Well, in todays times it may not be so cool anymore (because of old graphics), but the engine is worse than RF and to see what they did with that engine is simply inspiring. And don't try to judge the game by looking at some pictures. It's a game you must 'feel'.

Got a bit carried away, of course our game will be totally different than Thief: The Dark Project in terms of story, world etc., but we could still make it so that the player has to hide from the enemies (when it's implemented into the engine). And maybe we can also make some slightly scary levels.

Your concept art is good. I can't really do modelling, but i think a modeller would find those pictures very helpfull.

About the portable life generator, i mean it like this:
It holds some of the flora in a kind of mini-ecosystem so that it can survive in it. But as the species can only survive at special conditions (which only are given at special places in the ship, and inside the life generators ecosystem) for longer periodes of time, it will go away after you used the 'life generator'. (I doesn't actually die, but it 'repairs' you and this way it is then part of you... But without those special conditions it cannot grow (at least i was thinking that)) I was thinking that when you are in such a place where the flora naturally grows, you can recharge it.
-----