Looking for work (Scripting, UI, General Design)

Please post all job ads here ONLY
bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Looking for work (Scripting, UI, General Design)

Post by bernie » Sat May 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Truespace is already supported by truegene which will build an actor. All actors can be opened in equity for modification. That makes truespace a lower priority than xml etc. Blender users have no way of getting an animated actor into rf yet, that makes a xml high priority. Also xml can be used for ogre meshes and skeletons too. Max exports xml also and so does Maya along with several other modelling programs, when we discovered all that we decided that the xml format was the best go between.

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat May 23, 2009 6:57 pm

I could try out being your texture artist, it would be my first try (but I've done skinning for SOURCE engine before). Just let me know something if you're interested in my help. (I also PM_ed to you guys a while ago)

Matte

PS I own photoshop, GIMP, and some other graphics editing tools so that shouldn't be a problem

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Bernie...all modelling tools (including Blender) can open Collada files. Collada files are XML files. Collada can handle anything from world data to actor animations to static actors. There is Collada loader code out there somewhere that uses TinyXML. Collada also has an SDK which basically loads the XML files to C++ objects.

Truegene cannot handle COB files from v7.6. Truespace is the most powerful and professional tool available for free right now. It has a very large community. It should be supported via Collada at the least.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue May 26, 2009 4:53 pm

The new Equity suports xml files so there should be no problem, just export from collada in xml format import into Equity v6 and bingo you have an animated actor.

However see this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4332
Collada is no more its been shut down by M$

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue May 26, 2009 5:19 pm

You mean Caligari Truespace was shut down by Microsoft :wink: However, they are still offering it for download (for free) and I guess it will stay around for a while in the modeller scene ...

Bernie, what do you mean by XML file? XML is just a markup language, not a 3d model file format.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue May 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Xml format is used extensively now for model format. Its text based like the nfo and key file stuff. All the main modelling programs can export in xml format. We have made Equity read that format and build actor from it. It means that any modelling program that can export in xml format can be used to build an actor for RF. We have animated actors working now from Ogre and a release is on the way in a very short time. Still a few minor things to get sorted though first.

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Tue May 26, 2009 9:22 pm

@Jay- Hows everything going on your end?
MS3D is pretty easy to use, its just ordering the software requires that you send cash over seas.**I just checked the site and there are other ordering options available! Looks like money orders and credit card payments are available. I wonder if I can build models in Blender and bone them in Milkshape.... Anyway, im downloading the 1.8.4 right now and Ill have the model ready for import within the week(estimate). A lot can be done in 30 days you know?
**Are you able to model any props? For the future I mean when we start populating the levels with items, we can both work on models and get that part done quickly

@bernie
I push for Blender since its the first 3D app Ive learned and its *REALLY* good. Forgive me bernie, I didnt mean to make Equity sound like it was broken. It imports the mesh perfectly, the Blender export however doesnt export the bones because I KNOW there are a full set of bones in the model. 2 days of weight painting/rigging? Anyway, Im going to move over to Milkshape (like I should have done 5 years ago) though I would like to try the xml exporter for Blender out. Id be glad to test it for you as Blender will always be my favorite 3D app.

**After it goes through the 3 error messages, I get the [send report to windows] dialogue box and after closing it, Equity closes with it. So which file is it exactly that I should send?

Thanks for the response, you sure are on top of things!

@paradoxnj
Truespace honestly is more confusing than Blender. Can you belive that? Not sure if I triangulated the models in Blender, probably not. Would that make a difference though? Thanks for the tip.

@matte- Definitely! Thank you :)
I may be doing it wrong but I replied to your PM's and I dont think they are getting through. Trust me, Im not ignoring you! It could be an error on my part. If youve skinned in SOURCE, as in the HalfLife2 series, Ill send you the mutant model, but after integrating it into Milkshape and getting everything to work. Shouldnt be anymore than 3 to 4 days.

Lots of info, thanks for the updates everybody.

Matte

Post by Matte » Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 pm

realityfactoryusr wrote:@matte- Definitely! Thank you :)
I may be doing it wrong but I replied to your PM's and I dont think they are getting through. Trust me, Im not ignoring you! It could be an error on my part. If youve skinned in SOURCE, as in the HalfLife2 series, Ill send you the mutant model, but after integrating it into Milkshape and getting everything to work. Shouldnt be anymore than 3 to 4 days.

Lots of info, thanks for the updates everybody.
I haven't recieved any of the PM's. But I'm quite sure it's not your fault: I have noticed before that the system is a bit flawed. You can't really rely on the PM's here, I guess. OR maybe you ARE doing it wrong, who knows :D.
I will do my very best at the texturing job. I'm going to take a look at how to create the textures for models coming from Milkshape, so that I'm ready to start when I get the model :).

Have a nice day

EDIT: Hmm, most tutorials I find are "Texturing in Milkshape". If it is possible, please let me know if you can somehow export the model into a .bmp/.png/.tga file, so I can open it and edit it in photoshop (like I used to do with UVMapper and Anim8or). If not, I'm sure we'll find a way :).
EDIT2: Nevermind, I found indeed that the modeler has to export a UV-map, that the texturer can edit in Photoshop. Shouldn't be a problem. (Source: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=329034). Now I have to sleep and tomorrow I'll practice a bit. :D

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue May 26, 2009 9:45 pm

@bernie
I push for Blender since its the first 3D app Ive learned and its *REALLY* good. Forgive me bernie, I didnt mean to make Equity sound like it was broken. It imports the mesh perfectly, the Blender export however doesnt export the bones because I KNOW there are a full set of bones in the model. 2 days of weight painting/rigging? Anyway, Im going to move over to Milkshape (like I should have done 5 years ago) though I would like to try the xml exporter for Blender out. Id be glad to test it for you as Blender will always be my favorite 3D app.
Blender should have exported 2 files a xxx.nfo file which contains the mesh, bones, nomals, uv coords. and xxx.key file which contains the motions. please send those they are just text based programs so you can post them here.
The other thing is RF does NOT support vertex weighting so when you make models for RF do not use them or your models will be no good.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Bernie....I think you have the 2 mixed up.

Collada is not a modelling application. Collada is an XML file containing mesh/animation data. It is used to move data from one modelling application to another. Every modelling application can load and export Collada models either natively or via plugin.

Caligari is the maker of Truespace and they have been bought by MS.

As for XML...can you post a sample XML file that you have imported into Equity? I have a feeling that you are using Ogre's proprietary XML format.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 am

As for XML...can you post a sample XML file that you have imported into Equity? I have a feeling that you are using Ogre's proprietary XML format.
Yes we are using Ogre Xml format. Thats the one that the main modelling programs are using as exporters for the Ogre engine ie. Blender, Max, Maya, Milkshape etc. It is a good format and is being used extensivly that's why we chose it.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:18 am

No worries, I am still here. Internet connection is still not there... Currently i am working myself through RFs source code to make the changes needed for the game, like adding the script commands for the 'is-player-visible-calculation' (if you are standing inside a light etc.). I havent' yet found the place where i have to change something to make this possible, but at least i have implemented a pathfinding feature (when i am finished i will send the files to QuestOfDreams so that others can benefit too). I can't wait until you two have the first model ready, then i can really start scripting the AI of the game! Once i have a basic enemy running around, i can start thinking about the game levels.

It's really late at night, i hope that all makes sense.

I hope that with the new forum update, i will be able to post from the computers from my university too.

I think the props will be no problem (no pun intended here). I have problems with creatures, humans and especially when they have to move.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello, its been a while. No, I havent fallen asleep on the project. Please bear with me as I may dissapear from the forums for a few days or weeks at a time due to shifting work schedule.

@Jay- We need an animator. Someone whos good with MS3D. Ill setup the bones and everything for them. No matter what I try, the mesh refuses to animate with the bones and Milkshape IS NOT a hard program to use at all.
From here on im working exclusively on models and preparing them for texturing. I havent the slightest idea why Milkshape refuses to animate the model with the assigned vertices but it keeps happening.

*What Im doing wrong, I have no idea. An animator skilled with MS3D is who we need right now.*

@Matte- heres the model. Ive seperated the groups for you to texture. Thanks again. Sorry for the (week long) delay, MS3D is giving me a headache and work has gotten hectic.
http://uploading.com/files/XT9EFCPL/MUT ... .ms3d.html

@Bernie- actor file is ready for download but the .key file is missing. Im using Blender 2.8 the latest and using graywolfs exporter correctly and its not exporting a .key file. Help?
http://uploading.com/files/5DNGLMYV/Actor.txt.html

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 pm

That Nfo file you posted has a Node called "Cube" and it is not assigned to vertices by the look of things. If it is not exporting a key file then the there are no animations being exported anyway. That looks as if the Blender exporter is definately faulty. Unfortunately I am no longer working on the Equity project. There are two suggestions I can make. 1 Contact greywolf and get him to check out the Blender exporter or 2 which I think this is the better option, wait until hgt_terry releases Equity v6 (it is imminent) that will contain an ogre xml importer & Blender has an ogre xml exporter that definately works for older Blenders. I don't know if it works in latest Blender.

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 pm

@Jay
Im still here, but Im not sure if this message is going to get to you. The project is still on but Im having a hell of a problem trying to get the XML export function to work with Blender and Equity. How are things on your end?

@bernie
Ive exported using every option available and the models dont show up in Equity 6. Is there anyone I can speak to directly whos involved with the Equity software? I cant seem to find anyones email address and the thread is starting to get cluttered. BTW im trying to export to XML from Blender. And nothing at all shows up. Exported files show up as shape3D.xml instead of mesh.xml which is what Equity needs. Changing the filename doesnt help.

@EVERYONE
Until I get models into Equity and then to Reality Factory it looks like this project is on ice.
Unless someone can take my models and get them to work in Equity, my hands are tied. Im totally out of options.
And can someone explain how to use the private message option, my messages arent getting to their intended viewers.