Need help for new racing game

Please post all job ads here ONLY
TyFun Team

Need help for new racing game

Post by TyFun Team » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 pm

hi there i need help for a new game im about to create.
i am leading a team of 6 modelers and 2 animators, we are trying to make a game with reality factory but we don't quite understand yet how to
work well with the engine, we need a programmer wich can help us, the game will not be to sell, it will be a game to show the gamers and the game makers that a game not financed by anyone can be such as better as the ones that are financed.

i really need as much help as i can get, the game will be a racing simulator, we already have almost 30 vehicles and we would like to raise that amount to near 100 (kind of like GRAN TURISMO), but without a programmer to help us tell how many polys or which format the models can be we cannot proceed, please help us making this game come true.
"...ruleZ are made to break, gameZ are made to mod..."

GD1

Post by GD1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:30 pm

there's no need for double posting, it only opens the way for flame wars.

The brilliant thing about Reality Factory is that you don't need to know how to program in order to use it effectively. You can change the code if you want, but there is really no need to do so.

All the information you need about model formats can be found in the docs. Reality Factory uses the .bdy/.act format for its models. models are exported from max, truespace, or milkshape as .bdy files, and are then compiled into .act files, called Genesis 3D Actors. After some brief setup with the .ini files you can have your model in game in less than 2 minutes.

As far as polycount, well, there really is no right or wrong answer. The number of polygons on screen depends entirely on your personal preference as a game designer. you need to keep a decent framerate (between 30-60fps), but still make your game look good. for my games, i try to make sure that my character models don't exceed 1,000 polys, with various LOD levels, and the total polys on screen doesn't exceed 4,000. but the framerate depends not only on polycount, but also effects, lighting, particle systems, level design, etc. and is also completely dependant on the system specs you are aiming for. a 3ghz processor will run things blazing fast that would barely crawl on a 1.2 Ghz. there are numerous topics about this if you search the forums. look especially at topics about lightmapping and framerate, because this is the biggest framerate killer.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:06 am

Board Posting Rules
2. Job ads go in the Job Postings forum only. Job ads found in any other topics will get deleted.