Mech Game

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
SithMaster

Mech Game

Post by SithMaster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:10 am

Okay i've been thinking of this really awesome mech based game. Using Steel battalion as starting point and combing it with gundam series would be nirvana.

Picture if you will three monitors. The one in front is the front viewport for direct view of the battlefield. Another for radar or scanning gear. The third for another specialized function maybe for guages.

Foot pedals control movement of the mech.

Two joysticks control the arms.

A keyboard for increasing speed, changing parameters of gear like jetpacks-fuel consumption or range-, diverting power from damaged parts, activating wind shield wipers, and other things.

This all depends on whether rf supports multi monitors and multi joysticks.

I know pickles made the mech game ogre so that could be used for reference on how to do some stuff. This would be a massive project and currently i have a project already under way but could devote sometime to it and was hoping that this could be an rf community project if anyone was interested.

If anyone is interested then please reply with ideas and what part you would be able to help with.

I can model with 3ds max 6- buildings and the mechs- and design some levels though cant really make any as i never used a terrain editor and this will be out doors.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:01 am

I like the sound of it, though I have to ask a few questions.

One: How do you expect someone who has no joystick and 1 monitor (*coughmecough*) to play this?

Two: Are three screens necessary? Are two joysticks necessary? A lot of it sounds like asthetics, to be honest, and the controls could easily be applied to a keyboard and mouse.

Three: Have you considered using any of the mechs from Turbo Squid? They have some <i>really</i> nice ones for free.

All in all, sounds cool! Will it strictly be mechs, or will you be able to wander around the main base and 'garages'? That would set you apart from the rest. Have combat missions mixed with exploration elements. :D Every played Earthsiege 2? Awesome mech game, even though it's OLD and was strictly mechs and planes, no exploration. :\ One of my first favorite games.
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.

SithMaster

Post by SithMaster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:28 am

Yeah i guess three monitors is overboard. I just was looking at pictues of cockpits for gundams and was like wow that would be cool and add to immersion. But yeah that wouldn't be necessary.

The joystick thing would only be for those who have them and others would be able to use the keyboard and mouse. I just thought being able to control each hand/arm independently would be nice but also isnt necessary and the keyboard would be simpler.

Yeah turbosquid has some amazing stuff cept some have high poly counts.

I've never played earthseige 2 but sounds good. Its similar to crimson skies high road to revenge or whatever it is on xbox where you can leave your plane and wander.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.