RED BUTTONS - Story

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
psYco

RED BUTTONS - Story

Post by psYco » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 am

here is a plot I have come up with for a game I intend to make, called red buttons, (any body interrested in helping me out or just giving feed back can reply here or in my RF scripting post, or in my job postings post. :D )

Okay here goes,
In a alternate universe, not too dissimilar from our own, there is a world made up of two continents, this world has a god, who creates two identical tribes of primitave people, they are alike in every way, but the conditions on each continent could not be more differnent, The climate in Kosi is warm and the forrests grow lush and rain is plentiful, the tribe evolves to suit their conditions, they build shelter and hunt the game and gather food. On Kei-ya the weather is cold and not much grows, the tribe has it hard and learn that to survive they have to fasion weapons to defend them selves from the large predators, they build strong homes and form soceitys, they develope skills and become experts at their field they learn to work together, and develop a very modern community, oblivious of the peaceful primitives of Kosi, who still live much the same as they have always done.

One day, an alein race comes to Kei-ya, and builds vast warehouses, in which the people of Kei-ya are offerd work, all day they must stand in rows and each press a red button every four seconds, they are provided money with witch they buy food and homes from the aleins, slowly, over hundreds of years the people forget their skills of old and they all work happily for the aleins, but over generations they are paid less and so they have to spend longer pushing their buttons to survive untill after a thousand years, it is all they do, they do not eat or sleep they are fed through a drip and they devolve into mindless button pressers.

But now since they no longer breeding, some of them are converted into guards who keep the workers in and go out on hunting trips to Kosi to fetch new slaves to be converted...

You are a slave in the button factory till one day you decide you dont want to press the button any more so you stop, you are draged into a room by two guards where you are stood on a red X the guards press a red button and slowly lots of sharp objects start to lower towards you, but something deep in the back of your mind tells you to get out! So you run and jump from a window, although you still dont know why but when you feel the glass cut you and you discover ''pain'' you realise the sharp objects were going to give you a lot more pain than the approaching ground!

And so your adventure begins to find your way to Kosi, and learn of your powers to posses the guards and use them for your bidding and eventually to earn the trust of the ancients and aquire the powers, with witch you will free your people!

It is your destiny...

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 am

Very interesting story. I like it! :D
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:39 pm

I like it too. :D The idea of the 'mindless buttoners' is very intersting. So that the alien race just makes them dumb to rule over the world... instead of beginning a war and kill everyone.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:25 am

I love the story. It reminds me of Metropolis. So, when the people push THEIR red buttons, is someone, somewhere, being tortured/murdered like our hero was?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:50 am

I really loved Metropolis... I have some suggestions to your story, you could replace God with some kinda advanced alien child who created a planet for fun(like a toy that creates planet :D ) And in the end of the game all people discovers this that all they have done is for nothing because child will grow up one day and just stop creating their destiny or maybe he'll just destoys this planet... And game ends like that.
P.S.: I you like my idea and you're going to use it don't put something like"And all the people tried to escape the planet and destroy their creator" because the game won't be original anymore :wink:
Lithuanians for Georgia!

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:34 am

Quote from LtForce ''you could replace God with some kinda advanced alien child who created a planet for fun(like a toy that creates planet ) And in the end of the game all people discovers this that all they have done is for nothing because child will grow up one day and just stop creating their destiny or maybe he'll just destoys this planet... And game ends like that.''

That was kinda what I had in mind although I still my self dont know what happens when they push the buttons, but its a bit of a bummer that this has already been done what is metropolis about? But the theory of at the end it turns out that the whole thing is just a tiny insignifigant pointless thing and it does not change any thing, (like at the end the camera zooms out and it turns out this was all happening on a grain of salt and then some one wipes it away!) :D

But even if the story is not completley original the games look ( I want the whole game to look and feel like your playing in a Salvadour Dali painting!) and dynamic will make it original, see my dynamics in the RF scripting section, the thread is called ''Can I posses the enemy Help Please''

allen5924

Post by allen5924 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:30 pm

OMFG!!!! i love the idea...
it's like Matrix.. but more... um RAD!!! hahahha

out me

Thalesalex

great story

Post by Thalesalex » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Great story!
do you have some screens?
A brazilian in the world of game design!!!
Darker than you
PERFECT DARK IS FOREVER!

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Yes quite a few although mostly still a work in progress (im hoping to have my opening cutscene done by the next few monthes!)

check out the screens in my ''teh_psYco's (NEW) game thread'' in general disscussions

steven8

Post by steven8 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:02 am

You know psYco, that's not very nice of you mentioning cutscene to Thalesalex like that. :lol: I think you've got a mean streak!!

Can't wait to see your work!!

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 am

I didnt mean it I swear! :) anyway im still teachin myself blnder and wen im done iLL tell u guys if its worth it! :D

steven8

Post by steven8 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:07 pm

psYco, I think you've excellent stuff going on here. A lot of very good ideas and creative implementation. Most excellent!!

vegas WP

Post by vegas WP » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:15 am

steven8 wrote:I love the story. It reminds me of Metropolis. So, when the people push THEIR red buttons, is someone, somewhere, being tortured/murdered like our hero was?
Maybe someone who he doesn't know will die, and he will get $10,000. (Twilight Zone reference).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button,_Button
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Well the storys changed alot since my original post, there are still the buttons and stuff but its a bit more complecated now, i wont let out what the story has become yet because well i think i should at least have done a demo or something before proclaiming my entire plot and stuff :wink:

anyway i like the idea but im pretty confident with my ending now, and it fits nicely with my original concept, thanks for the ideas though, many of them have become infulences that i other wise never would have had :)