Quick new name poll!

Poll ended at Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:21 pm

"The Red Button Story: Hold My Hand I'm Dying"
60%
"The Red Button Story: Love Me Enough To Hold My Hand While You Take My life"
No votes
"The Red Button Story: Burning Is A Fuse To Destruction"
20%
If you want you can give options on how to make the one you choose from above, better
20%

Total votes: 5

allen5924

website!!!

Post by allen5924 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:48 pm

@jason: omfg.. that FX is RAD!! especially that LEVEL!!! WOOHOO!!! OMG!!!

and guess wat.. i was bored so i made our official website

http://one.xthost.info/schoolofthedead/homepage.htm

visit it dude!!!

psYco

Post by psYco » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:59 pm

@ allen: WOW dude thanks man I love the site! even that fed up pick of me LOL! any way yeah dude please can you work on some textures! i need a concrete wall (use the dark strokes filter in Photo shop to get the effect!) and yeah but when you apply the filter adjust the settings to make sure that it does not distort the pic) any way I need some concreter walls and sum metal stuff too and a roof of a ware house, (use that corrigated steel stuff you know with the waves!) and then the front of a ware house! and the side of a ware house with little windows that are like rite at the top and really small and have burgler bars on (shouldent be a problem back in SA LOL!) and ja at the front it should be like round at hte top and have like a small window in the centre (thats where you jump out!) so make one with broken glass and sum blood dripping down and the rest closed! and make them all kinda the same cause if the player runs sideways and it loops he mustnt notice that they all teh same or a pattern so make them all the same! and int he front should be a huge close metal door! OR w8 no make it like a TINY little door with like chains and bars across it! and a suighn on the wall next to the door that is like in another language (mandrin) and shows a hand near a door and the hand on FIRE! LOL! but do it in like the style of like classic sighns LOL! oh and the warehouses must be kinda draind of color do it in photoshop (you can drain some of the color out there with out it becoming black and wite!

that was one mother of a post! :shock:

allen5924

new site redirection name

Post by allen5924 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:07 am

http://www.sotd.co.nr

no more need 4 that very long name!!! WOOHOO!!!

oh and redbuttons website is coming soon!! WOOHOO!!

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:31 pm

Well its been a while since i last updated on The Red Button Story, mainly because ive been super busy and have also started two other development projects.

I have finnaly got some tangible progress and it feels good.

Here is the torso of the maincharacter. The texture is not at all final and is just the sketch that i used to base the model on, but when I applied it just for fun it got me thinking mabey I should actually draw all of the ingame textures! I think that that would make for a VERY original looking game!

Here is the model:

It has (so far) a poly count of just under 1000 but this is a RF2 game and so I think that itll be okay. :)

psYco

Post by psYco » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:00 pm

okay well ive finished the model here it is! :D

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:58 am

Well, nice looking model, but it has a lot of wasted polys.. in my opinion. You could get the same effect with far less polys. I know, it's designed for RF2 but removing those polys that don't actually add any detail would increase the framerate a bit. Then you could add some more detail to the game world, have some more enemies on the screen etc. etc. and still have the same framerate. After all, modeling is about getting the desired effect with the minimum amount of polys possible.

Oh, and I like the texture, it would make the game look really unique. :wink:
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:24 am

I know what you mean and I totally agree, the reason there are soooo many un-nessasary polys is because this is actually only the second 'humanoid/organic' model ive ever made adn so my technique is still in its infancy, the poly count is still reasonably low with only 1500 polys but im gonna try and get it down with milkshapes DirectXmeshTools.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:00 pm

well here is an update of a different kind, its the 'back story' that will be read in the intro vid [due out by after Xmas] well here it is....

Code: Select all

10 000 years since have past the day this world was born. Twice since it has been engulfed in flame. But now lays violently torn.

The first fire, the flame of life. Numkulunkulu, our beginning hath first created. Two halves of land and sea, his thirst to build as yet insatiated, two peoples there were still to be. 

North and South, Kei-ya and Kosi with topology and climate never seen before so incongruous.

Two brother tribes, by divine intention heeded each land their own.

The people of Kei-ya; ineffectual, barren and parched. Hunted by fiend they are forced to employ new doctrine. They build sanctuary of sand and stone, death to he who dare go out alone. A government adopted and society innate, the people of Kei-ya grow and learn at a neoteric rate.

Inversely the people of Kosi; prosperity, opulence and resource abundant. Their fortune albeit led to their stagnation, their basic if fruitful still and unproggresive nation, lays a silent beautiful utopia beyond imagination.

Much darker times were still to come as Numkulunkulu our God doth sleep…

The abemlungu. The race of the sky, did come not 2000 years fore today. Ignoring the Kosi, they visit the Kei-ya, and give them knowledge previously occult. They forge weapons of steel for the purpose to kill each other and their aggressors. They no longer need deal with those who wrong and steel, for new government is provided while the people have subsided and submitted them selves to umlungu.

Kei-ya now begin to thrive, life goes beyond the need to survive and with the advent of intermission came the subtle proposition by umlungu to enjoy a little recreation.

But as they soon learnt relief must be earnt, in the factory of abemlungu. Each day for an hour they press the button on the time, their reward to become a gluttonous swine, fed rare foods and exotic wine.

As the years drift lazily by, the pride of the Kei-ya dwindles and dies. Each year more hours needed in the factory to support their pathetic lives, more and more hours required, they work soon till they are degraded and tired. Their minds ebb, their souls wane and their desires fade.

Their love for the factory soon so encompassing it turns to dependence and they have little other preference than simply to waste in there away.

Soon though as the people of Kei-ya die umlungu doth realise they need fresh slaves for the endless rows of buttons that must be pressed, the primitives of Kosi they consider in jest.

Perhaps if trained from a very early age…

So babas they need and babas they’ll take, each newborn will be made a button slave…

So came the abemlungu to kill, pillage and reap the babas of the Kosi mamas who soundly sleep.

A great battle did ensue when many Kosi men, few umlungu slew. Their spears and shields of skin could never compete with the blinding searing heat of the abemlungu death sticks. All but the elders, mamas and babas were murdered. 

These crying infants were soon taken; there faces needed removing their souls needed breaking.

Now when all seems lost as the abemlungu have been coming for many generation, the prophecy of Shaka our salvation ounce again rears its crest, one Kosi man, raised in the button factories will awaken, remember his past and what the umlungu have for him forsaken, and this man, Shaka will be free, this man will come home to Kosi.

He will alone with a holy spear, travel the barren desert to the sacred baobab, he will kill a Malkin and so become a man, the baobab spirit will grant this prophet the strength to grow in wisdom and knowledge enough to lead the Kosi out of fear and slavery to freedom…
what you guys think???

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:54 am

Wow, nice story. I see you've given it a lot of thought. :)
The thing I like most in it is that you've created your own world with a history and stuff... just like Tolkien did with the Lord of the Rings books.
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks man, and yeah I think that the backstory and history of the game world is extremely important if you are trying to embue the game with a 'soul' witch is exactly what im aiming for, I want the player to 'feel' for the world theyre playing in not just see that its there for their amusmant I want to really suck in the player. :)

psYco

Post by psYco » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:03 pm

well its been a while since the last update on this project but i finally have a finished working player model renderd in blender for the use in cutscenes. (the first of witch should be done by the end of July.) Anyway here is the model as it is renderd in blender:

We also have some new concept art, this is a plan for a desertstalker except since this is a dali painitng it will be a wolf as apposed to an elephant.. This creature will wander the deserts it is evolved to hunt the birds witch inturn hunt you, these beasts cannot harm you though, this i think will create quite an interesting symbiotic relationship between the player these beasts and the massive birds of prey that wander the desert skyes...

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Well the first character face texture, (each character will have a unique face withc i draw while trying to be in the mindset of that character) Any way here it is, this is not concept art by the way, it is the actual in game texture... (my game is drawn)

This is Sangoma he is a witchdoctor a healer but also a teacher of black magic and a muthi maker. [Muthi is a type of sacred zulu medicine but its made of parts of children and so is illegal in South Africa now but my game is based on the past]

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 pm

Your story is pretty much perfect. I can't think of anything to improve it. The only problem that I see is that green alien thing that you posted a few pages ago. It doesn't really seem to fit in with the dark setting that you created with your story. Your other 3D models look almost perfect. However, although this may be a coincidence, your guard with the gun looks similar to the characters in the flash game Madness Interactive. It's not really too much of a problem. I just prefer it when people make original artwork like your main character guy with the stitches. That was very beauiful and original. Well, I'm all done here. Good luck with your project.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks for the possitive feedback :) And youll be happy to know that the green alien dude is gone and forgotten, and the 'madness combat' guards well theyre gone too my original idea was to make all the characters with that style ( i know i was ripping some one else off) but then i decided to do it my own way and im much happier doing it that way, so everything youll see here is pretty much out of my very own twisted imagination (and allen5924s but he should be WAY too busy with the blender tute to be being creative :) )

And the story has also been revised but i dont think the changes warrent a repost mainly i just rymes much better now and i fixed a few disgrepinsys that didnt make any sence...

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:43 pm

psYco wrote:ok here is my first modell! :D these are the guards of the Buttoners island who are remote controlled bodies more than people, they exist to harvest more button pressers form the free Island of Ky-ya and to prevent escapees like you!

These are the guys whose bodys you will be able to posses, they will be the only ones granted access to certain areas and they have the only weapons so they will be very usefull!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TEXTURES ARE JUST BETA AND WILL BE ALTHOUGH STILL B&W THEY WILL BE MUCH MORE APPEALING>>>

guy from maddness combat!
Herp derp.