Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Agentarrow

Re: Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Post by Agentarrow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:49 am

i was having similar thoughts about TT. Maybe scrapping #1 and making it a bit more of a prologue video that leads into Project Domination.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:34 am

For the hands, I always have this thing about hands being perfect cos you see them so much in most games, and the hands don't always/ever close around the gun correctly for the weapons that you hold with two hands.Maybe if they played an extra animation that closed them a bit more for different guns?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:05 pm

nice work so far, i love the sniper rifle.
Incidentally I tried to see something wrong with ther sniper rifle just to give some usaeful C&C but I couldn't see anything, so good job on that.
Thanks, guys.
You could do dismemberm,ent by having seperate forearm and top arm, stuff like that, so if one is injured it falls off, but that would reqiure a redo of every player model, so not wuite applicable i think.
Yeah, and in addition that would increase the polygon count for the characters a lot. I don't think it's worth it in RF.
For the hands, I always have this thing about hands being perfect cos you see them so much in most games, and the hands don't always/ever close around the gun correctly for the weapons that you hold with two hands.Maybe if they played an extra animation that closed them a bit more for different guns?
Sorry, I don't get what you're saying. I mean, yeah, I agree on the part that it's very important to have natural looking hands but what's with the extra animation thingie?

***EDIT***
Oh, and I'm doing some progress on the final demo game. I've done a lot of animations and scripted some AI stuff. Also I made a flashlight for the player.
Pain is only psychological.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:00 pm

For the extra animations, I could be wrong but if you wanted to have the hand close around the gun handgrip better, you would have to play an animation I'm guessing.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 pm

I don't think a separate animation is needed. You could simply add it to the already existing animations. Basically it all comes down to skill of the animator and the time he spends on it. First person hands are probably hardest thing I've ever animated. I've redone the model for my hands 3 or 4 times and each time I've had to reanimate all the guns. And they still look pretty unnatural.

BTW, I'm still confused. Are you talking about Nirhis or FPS games in general?

Alextreme

Post by Alextreme » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Juutis wrote:It's been a while since the last post over here so I guess it's time to give you guys a little update. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna create this game with RF. At first my plan was to create a prologue-type game with RF and a longer one with RF2 but it's become quite clear that the first game won't be finished before RF2 is released. So, I've decided to scrap this whole thing and start preparing the game(s) for RF2.

Of course, the fact that I would finish Nirhis after the release of RF2 isn't the only reason why I'm doing this. Naturally, the graphics engine is a big factor here as well as the scripting language. I really want to have some gore in the game and I'm hoping it's easier in RF2 than in RF. Also the idea of merging the two games is really tempting. I know this may sound bad to some of you but I believe it's for the best. I've really put a lot of thought into this.

Anyhow, I don't want my work to go to waste so I'm gonna try to put together another demo game with all the features I've created so far. I'll also upload a model and texture pack with all the stuff I've made for you guys to use in your games.

And to spice this post up a little, I reworked the sniper rifle and here's the result:
(533 polys)

Here's the old model for comparison (588 polys)
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/sniper.jpg

Merry Christmas, folks. I hope I ain't ruining it for anyone. :)
Incredible! Only 533 polys!! That´s a fantastic model, you did a very good job friend. I really like the gun´s texture!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm doing some awesome progress on my AI. The enemies don't get stuck much and they can follow the player almost anywhere in the level. They can run and jump between the train cars without falling off. I'm really happy with it. The AI is the last major thing needed for the demo.

Now all I need is some more animations for enemies and general polishing and I should have a playable demo.
Incredible! Only 533 polys!! That´s a fantastic model, you did a very good job friend. I really like the gun´s texture!
Thanks. :)

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:17 pm

I wasn't gonna post this at first but heck, I know you guys love screenshots:

I'm just testing out my minigun. I can run through the level and literally mow down the enemies before they even see me (or I see them, for that matter). As you can see, it has insane firepower. I'm just running through the place and still it's full of bullet holes. And no, I did not see the enemy behind the box, he just fell dead from around the corner.

Oh well, that's all I wanted to say... Yeah, pretty useless post. I'll just go back to observe the continuous, very rapid gunfire and its effects on the frame rate (read: gonna go fool around with this way overpowered tool of destruction and death)

***EDIT***
Ardent! I know you're reading this. The IRC, man. The IRC! We even have a new guy there. :D

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:35 am

The guy on the the ground looks like Duke Nukem. :D

Destron

Post by Destron » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Alextreme

Post by Alextreme » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Juutis don´t be mean. You can use mor polis ;).

I like the map of the pic.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 pm

Really, really nice shot! And the minigun looks so cool in game!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Alright, guys. Here it finally is. The new demo I've been promising to release "soon" for the last two years or so. The game mechanics are still pretty much the same as in my first demo, but this time the game is much more polished and feels finished. At least to some extent. :)

So, I'll let the game speak for itself. Enjoy!
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/nirhis_train.rar

(For some reason the full-vis compile just wouldn't work for the level. I tried to compile it overnight but it just got stuck. So I settled for an normal compile.)

PS. I'm gonna release all the models and textures for free use. So feel free to just grab whatever you need from the demo. Putting the model and texture packs together are probably gonna take a while, seeing that I'm pretty busy with stuff... Life, mostly. Also, if someone would be kind enough to do me a (very dull and repetitive) favor, please contact me. :)

PPS. This is the last thing I'm releasing with RF. However, I'm not sure if this is the end of Nirhis. I could continue the game with RF2 once it's released. Not like you guys care, though. To you it's just another generic shooter. The demo games don't really have a story, nor are they a part of the Nirhis story.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm

You've done a terrific job! It looks so professional! That's maybe the best project made in RF so far :)

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Been looking forward to this one for some time. Looks great going to spend some time playing with this now. Thanks Juutis.