Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm

nice model! with a slightly higher res texture, it would make a perfect low poly weapon!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks! And yeah, the texture is kinda blurry. The texture is 256x256 but I UV mapped it poorly, and I had too little space for the important parts.

I worked on the texture a bit, here's an updated pic:
Attachments
newpistol.jpg
newpistol.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
Pain is only psychological.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:19 am

Very nice work! Looks awesome!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:38 am

Juutis, that pistol is looking awesome!!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

psYco

Post by psYco » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:27 am

wow dawg! that gat is the shizel! :D Nice piece!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:01 pm

Thank you! To be honest, I'm kinda proud of the gun. :D
I rarely like a model that I've created, usually I'm just satisfied and think "oh well, it's good enough", but I actually like this one!

I've worked on the weapon script a bit. I imported the gun to RF and it already moves and rotates with the camera. It can also shoot. I'm making the pistols so that you need to release the mouse button before you can shoot again. And so, the faster you click with the mouse the faster the gun will shoot (...and more inaccurately also). I'm also planning to give weapons different fire modes - I guess MoG had something similar - like single shot, burst and full auto.

I'm not sure about this yet, but I've thought about giving some pistols burst-fire too. That way it would be possible to dual wield pistols, one with semi-auto and one with burst mode. Then you could fire bursts at enemies that are further away and take down enemys near you with semi-auto. Burst mode would fire 3 bullets at a time but take extra time between shots, it would be ideal in medium-long range combat because three bullets have higher chance to hit something than one. But it would be slow to use. Semi-auto would allow the player to shoot very fast, but inaccurately, and so it would be ideal to close combat.

I'm also planning to create the weapon system like that in Counter-Strike. You can have one primary weapon (an assault rifle, machine gun, sniper, rocket launcher...), one secondary (a pistol, uzi, maybe a sawed-off shotgun) and one melee (knife, katana, axe...). However, you could change these weapons any time by going to the inventory and selecting them, but it would take some time: a few seconds to open up inventory, a few more seconds to change the weapon and some seconds to close inventory. It'll take 10-20 seconds to change your weapons, so it isn't wise to start changing them in the middle of a firefight. You can't move while in inventory and I'm planning to make all enemy soldiers that are attacking the player run closer to him and shoot like heck.

Any comments or ideas ?

But hmm.... I guess that's all for now!
I'll keep you guys informed!

psYco

Post by psYco » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:13 pm

WOW!!!! Love the ideas! would make sum great gameplay! (please add a sawed off shotgun!!! I can just see myself running around wiht dual double barrelled sawed of SG's itd be kick ass! :twisted: )

Also that weapon/inventory sounds alot like the one in Dark Messaigh might and magic (the new ubisoft game using the source engien) and playing the demo I can say taht it works really well! :D It gives a nice pace of chosing weapons before each fire fight but then being stuck with them till you can find some nice cover!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:22 pm

Ok, I'll make that sawed-off shotgun. I promise. :D

News flash!
My weapon script is pretty completed now. It works really well.
Next I'll start working on the inventory, switching weapons and stuff. So, I needed another gun and so I modeled one!
This one is a SMG, not as cool as the pistol but still... here ya go:
292 polys
Attachments
smg.jpg
(61.59 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:13 pm

THANKS! (I love shotguns!)

Really really nice gun! I like the handgun but i also really like this SMG! I think its the scratched texture that makes it so nice! :D , Did you make these textures yourself? the models are great too! Keep it up!

Good to hear you making headway in the scripting department! Im sure its all good! :)

Your project seems to be progressing fast. Keep it up! :)

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:26 pm

Yeah, the textures are made by me.

Thanks for the support!!! :D

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:33 pm

WOW! You made those highly professional textures? :shock: (this shocked face needs a long white mouth that hangs loosely to show the complete jawdrop effect :wink: )

Cool! I dont wanna go off topic but how? They sooooo good! Could you making a thread and putting what ever tutes/reasources you learned from/used? Cause I really like those textures and have never really been able to make my own high quality textures... (I have photoshop and Paint shop pro, but still cant seem to make them as good as U!

EDIT: and as far as support, your game is sooo cool i cant help but get excited 'bout it! I mean its based on a comic, it has sawed off shot guns and its based on a comic and it has sawed off shotguns! Whats not to like? :D :EDIT

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:45 am

Well, I wouldn't exactly call them 'highly professional textures'. I've been practicing a lot and now it looks like it's starting to pay off. But I've still got a lot to learn.

I haven't used much tutorials, it's been just trial and error experimenting... playing around with different tools and finding out how I can get a certain effect or look. The keyword is 'practice'. :)

***EDIT***
Oh, and a little side note: It's important to learn to make good textures. Then you don't need so many polys, just add all details to the texture. That's one of the main reasons I've been practicing. To be able to make decent looking very lowpoly models, so I get higher FPS.

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Well I think those textures of yours look very pro! Im starting to work on my own textureing skills!

And although I agree with you that better textures = lower ploy witch = better frame rate, but im busy now working on my first weapon for my game and its already up to over 360 polys, whitch im not sure but i think is quite high, my game is intended for Rf2 anyway though and my monster of a PC can run anything on any engien at a decent frame rate, so im gonna crank up the GFX till my PC struggles a bit then the conversion to the irrilict engien should allow the nice visuals as well as being able to run on any PC! So hopefully that'll work out! :)

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:45 am

It's been a while since the last post... but that doesn't mean I haven't made any progress!!!

My scripted inventory works now. It still needs some fixing but the basics are there.
So, now I'm planning to model some more weapons, finish the inventory and build a little demo level. :wink: I've already started to design the level. And once I get these things done I'll upload the game for you guys to play.

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:47 pm

YAY! summink to play! I really need to pull finger and start working!