Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Allright, it's been way too long since the last post in this thread.

I thought that I'd let you guys know what I've been doing in the last few months.
Let the screenshots speak for themselves:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/kuvat/revolveraction.JPG
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/kuvat/redguy.JPG
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/kuvat/bossfight.JPG

The last one is a boss, it's not very clear in the picture but he's using dual SMG's.

Please, do tell me what you think, guys. :)
Last edited by Juutis on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain is only psychological.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:11 pm

Very nice!
Lithuanians for Georgia!

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:26 pm

well dude it looks awsome! I really like the tomson machine gun, and the level desighn looks quite professional, i also like the textures and the bossmodel is nice. I can wait untill there is summink playable out :D

looking sweet m8 keep it up :)

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Phew, I really worked my butt off this weekend. But it paid off!!!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/NirhisInstall.exe
My first game release ever! :D
The game is called 'Nirhis' - don't ask me why or what it means. :)

It's nothing big, just a little demo level showing the power of scripting.
Basically, you just have to fight your way through some alleys and houses and kill a russian guy called Sergei.

The player is scripted, so are the weapons and, well, pretty much everything. Thanks to that, I managed to build a somewhat working saving system. You can save at any time, in any place and the enemies won't regain health or come back alive. However, I don't think the scripting engine likes that. I got really poor framerates at some points of the level, not because of too many polygons but too heavy scripts.
So, it should be safe to save the game. However, there may be some bugs and glitches that make you lose weapons or something. It's happened to me in earlier versions. So save as little as possible.

There are 7 weapons:
Knife, pistol, sawed-off shotgun, revolver, smg, tommy gun and sniper.
You can get all weapons from enemies, but you can also find them lying in the level.

Now a little contest... who's the first one to find DUAL revolvers :?:
You can get one off a enemy pawn, but the second one is tougher. :)
PM me where it can be found and I'll announce the winner! :D

Enjoy

***EDIT***
Ohh, I forgot to add this to the game files.
Some people have had difficulties arming a weapon.

Using the inventory:
1.) Press 'I', an inventory screen should come up
2.) Drag a weapon to the slots in the top part of the inventory screen
3.) Press 'I' again
4.) Select a weapon (primary, secondary, melee) with the keys 1, 2 and 3

You may equip one primary, one melee and two secondary weapons at a time. The 'Left' and 'Right' slots are for left and right secondary weapons.
However, dual wielding decreases accuracy and increases reload times.

***EDITEDIT***
Known bug: The lower your FPS is, the higher you jump. I haven't figured out exactly why.
Taking shortcuts may have unwanted consequenses, so try to avoid it.

***ONCE MORE***
QoD, you're maintaining the RF FileFront account, right?
Well, anyway whoever it is, could this demo be added there? I have 100mb space on one site and the game is currently there, but sooner or later it has to go.

scott

Post by scott » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:12 pm

the game looks greate!!!! :D realy exelent work there, the difficulty of the game is good, not too hard not too easy, dont know if you are improving it or not but then you go into the yard with the 3 people and the area where thats blocked off by the red and white striped barrier, the guy with the machine gun on the belcony can cick you when you are underneath the belcony.
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I actually knew this bug before I uploaded the game, but I forgot to fix it.
Sometimes the enemies indeed hit or kick you through walls and from above you.
I'll probably fix this if there's a major fix to be done. I wouldn't want to build the install executable and upload it over again just because I have changed a couple of lines in a script. :?

However, don't mix this with bullets going through walls. That's intentional. :)

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Well i already told you that i love it, but ill post here anyway, I really like this game, its a real good demo for what RF can do, its not nessasarily graphically groundbreaking (although I must say it does have a quite appealing graphical style to it) but its just the amazing gameplay and functionality of the whole thing. The inventory system is nice, I love the way your health and armor are show on the cross hair (its very clever idea) anyway its a lot of fun and i cant wait to see the rest of it. :D

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:03 pm

I've just tried the demo and I love it! But I found one bug - you can easly jump on the roof and then fall to nothing(The Great Unknown, I don't know how to call that thing that's outside of level). I've found one revolver but not from pawn, but on the box, and where's that pawn with revolver? :D
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Juutis wrote:Known bug: The lower your FPS is, the higher you jump. I haven't figured out exactly why.
I guess this explains the roof-jumping.
Normally you should be able to jump on those little white crates. Not any higher.
And yeah, the revolver is on the box, but if the jumping system worked, it would be really tricky to get. With 60fps even I had to spend like 10 minutes to get there. But thanks to the 'jump bug' you can just jump up there.

Thanks for the positive comments, I'm really glad that you guys like it. :D

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Oh i forgot to say, thanks for the sawed off shotguns!!! Playing the game again (looking for the other revolver) I reallised how cool it is to pop into a room with two of those and BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! theres just dead bodies... and a wicked cool reload animation :twisted:

Thanks! :D

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:41 am

Juutis, that looks AWESOME!! Killer screens!! I will be downloading this over the weekend and trying it out!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Awsome game Juutis, lots of fun and well done.
Your save game system works really well, it nice to see it implemented.
And your pawns are very good too.

I took a peak at one of your scripts and its interesting to see someone elses approach to scripting pawns.
Lots of code to go through, and with no comments in your script, I'll probably have a couple of questions for you. (Its always good practise to have a few comments in code)

Now if I can get off my butt, I'll release a demo too.

Anyways, awsome work!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Thanks!

Yea, I'm sorry for not commenting the scripts. I never learned it like I should have, and now I'm stuck with my habit. :oops:
Somehow it makes the script cleaner and clearer for my eyes. But you guys probably have difficulties understanding them.

Maybe on the weekend I'll spend some time adding comments. At least for the main parts.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:23 am

Hey Juutis looking good. I like how you have your boss from the picture shooting at you from the side while apparently moving. I'm downloading it now.
Yea, I'm sorry for not commenting the scripts. I never learned it like I should have, and now I'm stuck with my habit.
yeah... I have that problem with coding I have to force my self to explain what's going on in a comment. Suprisingly it does help me keep on track with what I'm needing to accomplish.

Edit:

Slick Weapon system, the dual weld is awesome.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:18 am

can i have the template for the weapon script please?
Herp derp.