Juutis' game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Juutis

Re: Juutis's game thread!!! (Nirhis)

Post by Juutis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

There are no real walls in the level. It's basically just the train moving at a high speed and a flat grass terrain (And to be exact the train itself stays still while the terrain moves). I haven't actually scripted the death of the car but imagine what happens to a car driving really fast and suddenly the driver dies. It goes totally out of control and (hopefully :twisted:) rolls over. I'm gonna try to make it as cool as possible. And also a bit random so it won't be the same every time.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Cool,that's gonna be quite interesting to play!

BTW,how did you make the terrain to move,because I got a level simmilar to yours,where the vehicle you are in,stays still,but the terrain also stays still,I was gonn post a topic for that,but since you've done it in your game,can you share with me how did you do it.In my game I have actually 2 levels where you ar on the roof of a vehicle,the firstf on you are on the roof of an underground train,which travels fast through the tunnesl and the seco,is actually a space fighter flying in the air.Oh yeah,also what happens in your game if you fall from a vehicle?I haven't tough about that yet and I really want to make it.And my last question is: Is this level a big one,I mean how much texels is?

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 pm

My terrain is a huge animated StaticEntityProxy. It's animated so that the vertices move constantly from the front to the back and immediately jump to the front again. Imagine running on top of a huge cylinder that turns beneath you: You can run as much as you want but the cylinder will never end. I can't really explain it better. :? The StaticEntityProxy also follows the player around so it doesn't have to cover the whole level.

If the player falls off the train he simply and effectively dies. He gets a strong push towards the back of the train to give the impression that he (along with the ground) is still and the train "escapes". In Nirhis the screen fades to black pretty quickly after dying so the player is only going to see a glimpse of the "moving" train.

And yes, the level is a big one. About 21,000 texels by 10,000 texels. Most of that space isn't used though, it's only there for the farclip plane. The outer walls of the level must be further away than the farclip plane to make sure the sky shows properly. The train itself is less than 400 texels wide and about 15,000 texels long. And with a farclip plane of 2500 texels I could basically make the box around my level a little smaller. Something like 6,000x20,000 but I like to play it safe. And besides, RFEditPro crashes whenever I try to touch the skybox. :mrgreen:

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:05 am

hmm,that sounds pretty cool! I was thinking to do something like that,but the whole level will be a moving platform,and the train will be attached to another (invisible) model.There will be a big emty model standing almost of the heigh of the train's roof,so if the player falls a little lower than the roof,the model,which the train is attatched to executes it's animation and moves the train away.I'm not pretty sur if that's gonna work well,but I'll test it and let you know!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 am

Updated the first post:
Double Shot '08 (DS08)
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jutkula/dampsmg.jpg (397 polys)
A compact, very reliable firearm. It looks like a submachine gun but on the inside it's something totally different. The weapon's unique bolt design allows it to fire .45 rounds with either semi-automatic or the 'Double Shot' fire mode. When in the 'Double Shot' mode the gun loads and fires two rounds almost simultaneously but takes a longer time to recover afterwards.
This weapon replaces the DAMP submachine gun which was in the demo version.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

How do you model theese? They look pretty cool! I buy my weapon models from the net and I animate them and maybe do a little edit,but to make something like this myself....it's a little impossible for me right now :D

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Well, first of all I make it clear for myself what I am going after. Like in this case I wanted to make a SMG. Then I usually start browsing the internet and search for a gun that would fit the image in my head. Almost all of my guns are based on real weapons. I've always liked games with real guns more.

Then I start modeling. Usually I get a nice side picture of the gun on the background of MilkShape and model it vertex by vertex. I never use primitives, except for some obvious parts (cylinders for barrel). The actual modeling part doesn't usually take more than a couple of hours. Then I unwrap it in LithUnWrap which could take up to 5-6 hours, depending on the complexity of the model. And then the time consuming part: Texturing. I paint the textures in PhotoShop. I'm not the artistic kind, to be honest. I use various tricks and effects and a load of layers to paint the textures. This part can be over in 5 hours or it can take 20 hours. It's really up to the complexity of the model again. And there we go, a weapon model.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Wow,that's lot of hard work!I'm sure the result of all this will be a Great Game!I don't really have time for all this saddly,because I'm trying to finnish the game before we begin school again (so that makes an year of game making).In my team there are no modelers and animators,and that's killing me,because I don't know what to do first: Model,animate,texture,script,level edit...Though I don't have modelers and animators I can't imagine working alone!That means I can't imagine how you do all theese things all by yourself.I really want to make my Sci-fi gun models,but I don't have Idea and I
m terrible at modeling and texturing.I'm more like level editor and an idea man.Before I started playing with RF,I was a web programmer,but the web languages are somehow easier to learn,I even got a whole website for 3D flash games,but when I saw simkin (though I couldn't understand almost nothing) I liked it left the web languages behind me.Now I;ve forgotten PHP and javascript :D and I don't know Simkin :D :D.And at the moment I'm really F**ked up with the languages.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Yeah, it is hard work. But hey, nobody said making games is easy, even with RF. But in the end it will pay off. Even if nobody plays it I have made a game of my own and I can say 'I've modeled that model, and painted that texture, and written that AI, and...'. And in the end that's what matters to me. :)
I really want to make my Sci-fi gun models,but I don't have Idea and Im terrible at modeling and texturing
The only way to become good is to start modeling and texturing. I think I was in your shoes a couple of years ago (or more like... 4 years ago). But with constant practice I've gained decent skills. I still have a long way to go but at least I'm satisfied with my work.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Yeah, it is hard work. But hey, nobody said making games is easy, even with RF. But in the end it will pay off. Even if nobody plays it I have made a game of my own and I can say 'I've modeled that model, and painted that texture, and written that AI, and...'. And in the end that's what matters to me.
You are absolutely right!Many people say Reality Factory is a program for making 3D games,but it's actually some sort of game template,comming with tools.I've played with a lot of programs "for making games" like FPS Creator 3D GameMaker etc. but somehow RF gives you the freedom to make much more than only a game created for a week with only mouse clicking.And yes,you are right,the only thing that I won't like is that got so much help from everyone here,that the game's actually not mne,but yours! :D

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Juutis wrote:Yeah, it is hard work. But hey, nobody said making games is easy, even with RF. But in the end it will pay off. Even if nobody plays it I have made a game of my own and I can say 'I've modeled that model, and painted that texture, and written that AI, and...'. And in the end that's what matters to me. :)
Hear hear!

Too bad the duke model is hard to be animated. It sure looks cool! (major duke fan here :P)
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Juutis,do you have new screenshots of your game,because I would love to see more!

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:40 pm

I have seen the first two,only the last one I haven't

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Destron digging through my archives, eh? :D

Yeah the last one is an old shot. The two pictures are from almost exactly the same place, actually.