Spyre's Game Thread!

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Spyrewolf

Spyre's Game Thread!

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

Well have been gone with game-making for quite sometime, and i really hate anouncing game project just incase they don't get finished,

however
TIME TO ANOUNCE...My next game,

I have taken an old genre and spiced it up a bit,(in fact done something completly new dare i say it), Basically it's a parody of a mixture of stealth based games (Metal Gear, Splinter Cell.) and action based games, (F.E.A.R, Black) just to name a few, I'm not really gonna have to much details yet, untill i have something a bit more tangible but i will be posting a "Blog" type development post on this to let people know what I've Been upto,

basically i can give you these tid bits of info for now, the style i'm going for is Cartoony but not cell shaded, and one of the "Hero's" name is Solid Sneak but he will be a hero not quite how your used to,

I know i'm being secrative but as i say i don't think this type of "story" has been told before, the gameplay won't be overly innovative but the angle i'm going for should be pretty fresh.

I'm still plotting out details but have just recently started to develop it, I really want to see this one through as i think it has some potential

I leave you with this screen shot of a W.I.P "Hired Goon"

Please let me know what you think of the model so far
Attachments
Hiredgoon.jpg
this is still work in progress but i think i've captured the style i'm after.......
Hiredgoon.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:07 am

Yay, more game threads!

I really like the model! It reminds me of the spy (or something similar) in Team Fortress 2 trailers. :D
How many polys does it have? It looks great, anyway!

"Solid Sneak", hehe. Good one.:wink:
Pain is only psychological.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:13 am

Spyre that is fantastic!! The game concept and the model. I love the name Solid Sneak!! That model is smoooootthhhh!! I love the head, That cartoony feel is perfect!!!!
Last edited by steven8 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Great model, man! It seems really clean and lowpoly but it really gives the idea of a dynamic character. Nice as always. :wink:

psYco

Post by psYco » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:12 pm

WOW WOW WOW WOW :shock: THIS IS GOOD... no, I mean Like REALLY REALLY GOOD... No you dont even understand I would pay 29£ for this game! Like in a store! If you keep the visuals sooooooo professional and you make sure that it plays smoothe it WILL be gr8! It could be like the scary movie of the FPS genre! And if any type of game needs a parody to show how ''cloney'' it is its the FPS!

keep it up man looking vry good!

Spyrewolf

ANALOG STYLING

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:59 am

have needed a distraction from modelling so have done some concept art,

here is an idea i've got bouncing around my head

it's Solid Sneak, he's the love child of "Snake" from metal gear and "Elvis"

he's gonna hve a very flamboiant (sp?) attitude,
but how does a steath agent get on while he's living the rock'n'roll dream?

next i'll need to create a plan for him and model him up hopefully i can keep the style through the model too,
Attachments
sneaker eater.jpg
solid Sneak .....Sneaker Eater?
(139.09 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:05 am

I have no words and i must say cool. :lol:

This game sure will be fun to play! Keep it up! :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Spyrewolf

Volumetric clouds?

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:37 am

have been messing with RF to see what this baby can really do!,

I have sort of created volumetric clouds, well have faked 'em at least anyways,

i saw the technique employed by the creator of "Shadow of the colossus"
the way they made their dust look very real in the making of the creators expressed how the playstation 2 is not capable of doing this, so they faked by using bmp's but taking it a step further and added light sources,

now currently our engine cant do this either but by copying their technique i managed it, i'll give a how to in a bit

if you really want to see a good article in game making it is the making of shadow of the collosus Ueda and his team had to employ what we do and fake some things, they managed to make an amazing game with quite minimal hardware.

how to......Haha this is really quite simple for your particles make them flat two sided poly's with alpha's (tga) then pop them in as an actor spout,
because rf's particles are not effected by light they give the feeling they are flat, by adding a light source it give's them depth and shape, ....

Thanks for the tip Ueda!
Attachments
vol1.jpg
(30.12 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Last edited by Spyrewolf on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spyrewolf

volumetric clouds take 2

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:41 am

'unfortunately the volumetric cloud fake' is not with out it's short comings

the alpha's get buggered up untill we can fix this i'm not sure they are gonna be useful

@quest: is there any other way we can sort the alpha's they still clipping each other out?!?

anywhoo here is what happens when i look to the right
Attachments
volbad.jpg
(29.64 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:44 am

on a more positive note I have finished the generic "hired goon" i was making, and have some image of the final model to show
Attachments
goonfront.jpg
(40.24 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
goonside.jpg
(25.66 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
goonlogo.jpg
goonlogo.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 1790 times

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:35 pm

Niice!! I love your goon model looks extremely smooth and lowpoly. How many polys you got?
Your solid sneak concept is awesome I can't wait to see him modeled.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 pm

thanks jonas,

the model is in the hi-ish poly count's than usual but i want to raise the bar a bit, ....the model currently sits in the low 3000 poly range, well it's not miles over it is higher than usual, however LOD's will sort this out and this game is not gonna contain hundreds and hundreds of soliders on screen at anyone time there will be some optimizations as well hopefully it will run well before i let this one out of the bag, lot's of testing to do.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:58 am

Aw, Spyre!! It's all just awesome!!!!! Really great stuff!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:10 pm

hmm development has been slow...as usual, i submitted my model on the polycount forums, to get some feed back from some industry pro's and they gve me some usefull tips about texturing, boy were they right, this image shows the goon model, these side by side comparison share the same mesh, It's amazing what the effect a good texture produces
the model currently sits in the low 3000 poly range,
oh andthe model is now 2500 poly's not too bad seing there will only be a few goons at a time in full detail.

anyways i'll keep you updated i'll release the concept/premise for this game shortly i just need to get a few more models done.... and set up a few levels but im getting there...slowly

more to come
Attachments
goog2.jpg
(59.05 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

psYco

Post by psYco » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:01 pm

WOW the new texture is just amazing! It really is cool what a good texture can do! :D