Spyre's Game Thread!

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:56 pm

the clouds are just 2d plane, (one side .acts) the texture has TGA's on 'em basically as long as the camera stays above them they'll look sweet. if your camera goes in line or rotates down they'll look like poo, ...so this could be effective with your world map as long as the camera never rotates below them or in line with them. it'sall about where the player can see and what they can experience you don't have to build a whole world, just what the player can see.

i'll show you my terrain in it's entirety from a funny angle, you'll immediately see the difference. I've opened up milkshape and slapped the scene together thats in the picture.(well as close as i could get it :P )

as you can see below the difference is pretty big if you saw clouds like that in a game you'd say that is weird,

now if you look at the "fake Volumetric cloud picture in the 1st page, of this post, you can do some pretty awsome things with lighting, the only problem is that RF can some time clip out bits with transparency some times and give you wierd clipping errors, but only if the camera moves to certain angles most of it is pretty tight. IMO this scene needs a tonne of work before i'm happy with it.
Last edited by Spyrewolf on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:40 am

Herp derp.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:56 am

looks ok - make a new brighter copy.Terrain looks generally better when theres contrast between light and dark sides.
I mean-like the sun lights one side on the mountains and the back side of the terrain is darker.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:36 am

way better than I could do, Are the mountains actors? or are they at least models, or RF geometry? I'd like something like that, and need something like that for Terra Trooper... So any info would help.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

@ veleran: yeah the lighting on this is balls, it's all default, the terrain has no lighting applied (all top down source of light) so when i get to lighting the model it will look pretty natural.(plus it will help when i do my normal pass as well.

thats probally the next thing do before my custom skydome.

@Agent Arrow, yeah the terrain is an act, I get frustraighted too quickly with bsp now day's (although still required to some extent) + i tend to be much faster in 3d applications than .bsp i can flesh out more things quicker without having to compile to check them out. if you look on the previous page i out line the process of what i did. (not so much a tute, but an explanation)

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:22 am

thx, and I hope you dont mind but my final presentation on RF is tomorrow so I'm going to use your picture in my powerpoint, I hope you dont mind that this was such short Notice that I couldn't ask you, but Im making all pictures anonymous. Basicallt, I'll show Terra Trooper so far, A couple models, A powerpoint about RF and the Actor viewer with Zeth on to show all his animations.
AgentArrow Home

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:41 am

Spyrewolf wrote:Tiny update, have put in some clouds, ad this is what the terrain is for. sneak peak at the intro, doesn't give anything away.

The next step is to creat some tree's for the terrain, and then normal everyting, the F22 is a place holder for now, but i'm starting to like it,
(not mine) - did want to have a black bird but the more i thnk of the raptor the more i like it, anyways the picture..
(Image Here)
Edit : Added streams to the jet,
cool, but the most important F22 term you'll ever know: BEWARE OF RAPTORS WITH OPEN DOORS also, what do you use for texturing? photoshop? And... uhhh, does anyone know of a free, at least semi-photoshop quality program, something that could do fairly good textures? because my photoshop doesnt work and I can't find the disk anywhere...
AgentArrow Home

scott

Post by scott » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:08 am

paint.net, thats the name of the programe not the address, its a MS paint 2, however it is up to the scratch i belive that you are looking for.
did you get the ground textures from google earth or something similar, they look good, reminds me of ms flight sim 2001, it was a big hit i belive thos the system requirements and the physics where emmence.
*GD*

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 am

I think it look fantastic, Spyre. I love that terrain, and from your screens, I love those clouds too!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:22 am

Hey steven, thanks for the comments :)
you get the ground textures from google earth or something similar
:roll: ...um ..no i painted it ....

yeah i used the the base texture for the image from google maps, photochopped it together and repainted in hills, and other paths and forrests. to get away from the hey i know where that is, or i've seen that before look. hate going through games and seeing stock photo textures. really kills the immersion for me,
..I'm all for the stock photo's don't get wrong, it's just when they're used " as is where is". ...google earth is great in so many way's i'm checking out military bases at the moment to get layouts, and how they planned out.

hopefully getting ready for a video of the game soon, or at least a pre-alpha game play shot, ...gah it's been so long!
I hate real life getting in the damn way all the time. -started work on solid sneak before, looks to close to snake for my liking, i want him to have elements of all the stealth action hero's (i.e snake, sam fisher, logan...(dude from syphon filter) but also be his own, will post some progress on him later, ...hopefully not a redo
Also .. finished the terrain, now i have to see if RF can handle transparentcy with normals, will have a screen of that too if i'm successful. else i'll be back to the drawing board for a better solution, may use photoshop to fake my normals.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Happy Birthday new year! everyones......

'k its that time again, time for a progress report, well, I'd say i have alot of props and models ready for game,or pretty close too it so i've started the levels.
i've done a quick sketch up in milkshape for some ideas for terrain, (forrest-base) I think my 2d plane, hills are gonna work just fine,

that browny coloured hill in the background(not the one with the tree's) is 2d, however it looks pretty 3d,

also 'scuse the goon he was plopped in there to liven the scene a bit.

Yeah i know the texture on the forward most hill looks poo... but it's a place holder whilst I do my mock up.

(this is just to show the 2d hill's i've been talking about)

and the same image from the 'bove to better illustrate what i mean

the beauty of doing this means that you can save boat loads on poly's so you can really crank the detail.
-they entire scene...INCLUDING the goon is under 2500 poly's and that normally is the average count for a hero model.

Well till next time !

psYco

Post by psYco » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 pm

just WOW. Its been sooo long since I have been around, your game has come along in leaps and bounds, it is really looking very sexy and professional, but still with that lovely indie character.

Amazing work mate.

Destron

Post by Destron » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:54 pm

That looks amazingly good, Spyre... keep up the good work. :)

When can we expect a demo...?

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:07 pm

psYco wrote:just WOW. Its been sooo long since I have been around, your game has come along in leaps and bounds, it is really looking very sexy and professional, but still with that lovely indie character.

Amazing work mate.
OH MY GOD ITS ANOTHER ZOMBIE! KILL HIM! ILL GET THE GUNS!
Herp derp.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Really Good! I have a question though, I tried the Google Map ground texture as a on a mountain range I made, but when I put it in as a static entity, my game fails. Should I make it a pawn instead?
AgentArrow Home