Spyre's Game Thread!

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Destron

Post by Destron » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:39 pm

darksmaster923 wrote:
psYco wrote:just WOW. Its been sooo long since I have been around, your game has come along in leaps and bounds, it is really looking very sexy and professional, but still with that lovely indie character.

Amazing work mate.
OH MY GOD ITS ANOTHER ZOMBIE! KILL HIM! ILL GET THE GUNS!
Let's try to be coherent here, Darksmaster.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 am

Agentarrow wrote:Really Good! I have a question though, I tried the Google Map ground texture as a on a mountain range I made, but when I put it in as a static entity, my game fails. Should I make it a pawn instead?
make sure you texture are square, and also try not to make the terrain to large as i've found some actors if the are to large can crash the engine,
if your after a REALLY large terrain, then split the terrain into seperate actors and try that,
OH MY GOD ITS ANOTHER ZOMBIE! KILL HIM! ILL GET THE GUNS!
@ darkmaster, ...yeah as stated before.... constructive post/ critisims only here, i don't need my tread filled up with garbage, and not cats too if you please. if your refering to the texture looking pale and flushed out on the face your right it need more reds, again still WIP untill I'm happy.....but just no more nonsence.

To the rest , thanks for the comments guys this Image is just a sketch though, I prefer to sketch my level in Milkshape to get a better layout of what works and doesn't soley for the fact MShape doesn't require, compiling and runs quickly, and i can create a mock up to work off of in about an hour,
a previz of the level if you will. I've already discoverd a new method to save even more polys for this level by doing this.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 am

Oh yeah, Spyre! The colors and the feel are terrific! You are very talented, my friend!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 am

Hey thanks steven :)
thanks for the compliment

Update: my worst fear in 3d modelling has now been over-come, Organic Rock Formation Mapping to Terrains In Milkshape. or (ORFMTIM)

The muse tickled my game creating nerve again, the crank ticked, spun a bit, and I had my eureka moment. but unlike Archimedes I kept my clothes on.

this is good and bad when the muse calls.

= The good =
my game development rapidly increases, quality lifts and i learn alot of techniques very quickly (I am in the zone)

= The Bad =
my social life suffers, At work i think about the next prop i'm going to create my concentration fails me (I am ....er..out of the zone)

soo what does all this good bring....
two new techniques. better mapping of terrain textures(seamlessly in milkshape), and greater level of realism to texture creating.-

compare this to last nights effort with texture to just a few hours difference. ....

Image [edit] sheepishly looks around hope no-one notices updated image :|

Both Texture and terrain created originals

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey Spyrewolf that stuff is terrific. If you could find time, it would be greatly appreciated if you could do a small tutorial on the way you create terrains in milkshape. I'm quite sure there are others on this forum that would appriciate it too.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm

yeah you read my mind bernie, but generally im busy, but i will be releasing a tutorial forthis terrain as it too good to pass up and so simple to create, that scene is less than 10 minutes to that point.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm

that would be awesome! I mean those rocks really do look good! I really mean that! I cannot believe you made that with texture mapping in just 10 minutes! I would be so thankfull for describing how you did it, because i still have to do the World-map for my game (or, to be more specific, redo it because now the world is bigger...) You will go from one place to another with a flag in a top-down perspective - or in a third person perspective where you just see the main character... i still have to decide what is better...
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Tutorial? HECK YEAH. My terrains look very... unreal. So having a good terrain like that would help me a lot.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:27 am

(or, to be more specific, redo it because now the world is bigger...) You will go from one place to another with a flag in a top-down perspective - or in a third person perspective where you just see the main character... i still have to decide what is better...
this new terrain, technique, will work both ways so you should be fine,
I've thought about another technique make this even better, can't wait to share this with you all it bolster open terrain in RF greatly, and make things look a lot prettier. nothing worse than having ugly terrains. you will all be so suprised at how simple this is, this is an extension of my flat plane idea I had, and it's more about the "process" of the terrain building rather that how!.

The tutes will require prior knowlede of milkshape and photoshop or eqivilant. (don't expect click button and terrain, but most of us here understand that as this is why we use RF right). I may include a terrain kit for easy assebly of fast terrain building too......This is a "MAYBE" all dependant on time but with the weekend approaching i should have bit more free time to get this out of the way, but when you see how easy it really is, you probally will want to make your own terrains anyway.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 am

thx spyre. You've got a lot of talent in the texture department. Can't wait to see your demo :)
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks a million for the positive response spyrewolf. The work you are doing there is groundbreaking (no pun intended) It seems your method will save hours if not weeks of time and I'm itching to get going on this one as I need a terrain for my project now. By the way how do you do UV mapping are you using milkshape's UV mapper or something else?

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Tutorials....well the basic website layout is done, texture tute should be up tomorrow, you can all practice making textures whist i get the the terrain tute sorted. you'll all have homework to do once up loaded it, (trust me you'll need to do the textures for the 2nd part of the tute)

Also after these tutes are wrorked out, I'll do some more, (the whole website thing has me hooked)
It seems your method will save hours if not weeks of time and I'm itching to get going on this one as I need a terrain for my project now.
don't expect miracles bernie......
As I stated earlier this will not be an end all, on the terain generators out there I just found this way works for me, (you may not like it)

Also it looks better than what I can normally produce...also as stated this is more on the method, rather than the how, this is still the flat wall terrain system i'm using. it will still take time, remember, your looking at two flat walls there nothing too fancy.

If you want a better detailed terrain this is still going to take a bit of mucking around, and it can get fiddley.

but i'll give you techniques around this in the tutes, the overall process is pretty quick but tweaking can take from 5-mins to -500 mins depending on how you feel with the technique. :)

I really don't want to get peoples hope up for a ground breaking technique.....(uh...there's that pun again) :P
you all know how to do what i'm doing!...no!.. really you do! (I think?.. like me, have you never twigged?) this is what I did, I could have kicked myself for not realising sooner how easy it is to it this way.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:18 pm

Agentarrow wrote:thx spyre. You've got a lot of talent in the texture department. Can't wait to see your demo :)
My terrains always suck. No nice way to put it. They always look like someone chiseled them out of granite or piled up cardboard boxes and painted grass on 'em. :lol:

A tut on producing terrains like yours would be great!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:32 pm

updated image Neutral

Both Texture and terrain created originals
again, WOW.

Just brilliant textures, for some reason it reminds me of some HL2 textures (obviously thats good :))

and as for being a zombie, I see the "dark"master is still here... good to see not much has changed ;)

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35 pm

lol, nothing ever changes.

i would like to see some rocks, as those are hard for me to model
Herp derp.