My Untitled Project

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Josh7356

My Untitled Project

Post by Josh7356 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:30 am

This all takes place in a different world created by me. At the beginning of time, there was nothing ,until the god ,who is currently unnamed, creates the first planet. He makes the planet real nice looking with pretty scenery and such. Not long after he created this world, he got bored with it. He created a large group of primitive, purple creatures called ???. Those creatures were happy on the beautiful planet that was created for them ,and they gave praise to their god often. However, this god was working on a secret project. He created a blue creature who was better in just about in every way compared to the purple creatures. He put this creature on his world with a mission. He had to eliminate the purple creatures. This god was ready to populate his world with an extemely advanced group of creatures and have all creatures inferior to them eliminated. You may be thinking, If this god wanted the purple creatures eliminated, why didn't he create a blue army? I have thought that out. He has set the bar high for these blue creatures. In order to test the power of the blue creatures, he has to see what only one can do to an army of purple creatures. If he fails his mission, it's back to the drawing board for this god.

How does this sound for a story for a game? All I need is some names. I have a few ideas. I just need to chose one out of the few. You would play the blue creature in the game in case you haven't figured that out.

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:45 am

it sounds a bit cheap.

i like the creature thing, but the god has to be removed.

why not make it that the creatures are on another galaxy trying to enter ours.

i would starting with a simple story, then i would add on details.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:36 am

Well I like it :D I think that with nice simple graphics this could be a very fun and weird game! Im thinking alternative cutscenes a strange looking world and a donnie darko esc soundtrack and I think it would definitely be an oddball and hey every one loves em and we all play everything that seems a bit different! So good luck with it, im sure everyone here at RF will be very happy to help you out. :)

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: My Untitled Project

Post by Jay » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Josh7356 wrote:Not long after he created this world, he got bored
I know this sounds really weird but i think it would be extremely fun to play a game where it sounds like this:

"At the beginning of time, there was nothing, until the god ,who actually is unnamed, created the first planet. He made the planet as a beutifull and peacefull world. Not long after he created this world, he got bored and so he created the most weird creatures of weirdness, called the gal-ba-gaka, and put them onto the second planet where they crawled out of the weirdest hole on the weirdest planet where all weirdesness was originally spawned at the beginning of the universe."

But the "weirdest planet where all weirdesness was originally spawned at the beginning of the universe" is beginning to destruct itself because of its ultimate weirdness and so the gal-ba-ga-ka are deciding to somehow get to the beutifull planet. But in the meantime the god had created one strong and totally logical creature (named oka-barok) that, in its logical way, has decided that weird creatures are not worth living. So it decides to kill the good, but weird creatures, which happens to go very well for it until only a few of the weird ones survive.

Your taks is to lead the last ones to the promised land of the other planet, while preventing the evil one to get there. You will have to use weird technics as every creature is totally different and every one does have ohter skills.

Just had to point this out i just think this would be really fun to play...
(i'm actually a bit sorry for all this weirdness : :D :lol: )

EDIT: I have come to this idea because of your 'he got bored' i thought This was such a peacefull beginning where then something really drastically and weird had to happen
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:05 pm

I altered the story a little to see if you guys liked it better. Here it is.

At the beginning of time there was nothing aside from a creature with the ability to create and alter anything that he desired. In othere words, he was a god. His called himself Phrenous. Living in a place where there was absolutly nothing was torture for Phrenous ,so he created a planet which he called Phrenon. It was a very beautiful planet with colorful plants, towering mountain ranges, vast oceans of different colors, and much more. Phrenous spent years looking at his planet because it was so beautiful. However, Phrenous was very sad that no one else could experience the beauty of his planet ,so he created the purple Phrenonites. After these creatures were created, Phrenous put himself into the form of an ordinary Phrenonite and explained to them what he had done ,and why he had put them there. The Phrenonites were extremely thankful to Phrenous ,and gave him much worship and praise daily. Phrenous was so happy with his little creatures that he absolutly had to do something to thank them. He created a group of blue Phrenonites and placed them on the planet of Phrenon. He thought that since those two types of creatures were so different, they would have a lot of fun interacting with each other and sharing different ideas. Right? Wrong! The two groups of Phrenonites couldn't stand each other. The seperated themselves. The purples lived on the right half of the world and the blues on the left. However, they hated each other so much that they couldn't even stand knowing that the other existed. Each group decided to eliminate the other. A large civil war took place on Phrenon ,and is still going on today. Phrenous, seeing the many flaws of his creatures, decided to try to eliminate both groups of creatures and start all over. You are a soldier in the blue army trying to both dodge Phrenous and eliminate the purple Phrenonites.

I don't know if this sounds serious or not ,but it won't be completely. I'll keep the simple graphics, add a little weirdness, and maybe some humor too. However, does this idea sound better?

hallsofvallhalla

Post by hallsofvallhalla » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:58 pm

well if you are age 5 and are learning your colors and think that gods getting bored and just creating things to pass time then yeah, might work, but its not very appealing to play. Why play in a world where you'll never be anything more than a blue or purple guy running around on a pointless land for a bored god? A god creating a planet then creating some people is too, well human minded, gods with the power to create planets obviously have massive intelligence and are far beyond simply creating a purple race and a blue race then watching them fight. I am not bashing your story or you, just giving my opinion, a game needs something to grab the player and interest him, something to quench his thirst for gaming and put his trigger finger to work.

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:21 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:well if you are age 5 and are learning your colors and think that gods getting bored and just creating things to pass time then yeah, might work, but its not very appealing to play. Why play in a world where you'll never be anything more than a blue or purple guy running around on a pointless land for a bored god? A god creating a planet then creating some people is too, well human minded, gods with the power to create planets obviously have massive intelligence and are far beyond simply creating a purple race and a blue race then watching them fight. I am not bashing your story or you, just giving my opinion, a game needs something to grab the player and interest him, something to quench his thirst for gaming and put his trigger finger to work.
I may be mistaken ,but didn't the Greek gods have human flaws? I am basing my god off of the Greek gods sort of because he is a god with some human qualities. If he was perfect, he would have no problems ,and there would be no story because everything would work out. However, I think that you're right about the quality of this idea. I suppose that after just wiping out the other race, you wouldn't really feel like you accomplished anything. Somehow, your character would have to have a goal besides killing everything ,and the game needs an ending. I'll get to working on that.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:30 pm

This might be fun if there was some kind of massive plot twist. Take the Anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion" for instance. For the majority of the show you didn't know who the bad guys (the angels) really were. Later you discovered that they we're representatives of different races fighting to be the sole race to take the final evolutionary step and become one with Adam (the angel that Evangelion referred to as "the god of gods").

This concept of yours really reminds me of this anime. You should look into it and see what ideas you can "borrow" from it.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

hallsofvallhalla

Post by hallsofvallhalla » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:51 pm

well you are right about the greek gods, I never really thought of that, and I think with a nice plot and some meat to the story you'll have something good.

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Well, I'll get started on this project soon. I always hate starting projects like this because I never know where to start. I think that I'll spend this month just working on improving the story a little because it is almost Christmas which means that I won't be doing too much work. I already got gifts for everyone that I need to get gifts for. :D My story desperatly needs some work too.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:06 pm

I always hate starting projects like this because I never know where to start
You're like the opposite of me! I just love to start new projects, but once I get some basics done and it's time to start creating the actual content (levels, textures and stuff), I get bored and start a new project. :D
Pain is only psychological.

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:03 pm

I know that I haven't had any updates on my game in a few months I think. Sadly, I still have nothing to show. The progress of this game has just been crawling for me. Anyway, like many people seem to be doing, I'll be taking a break from this forum. Everytime I hear someone elses idea, I tend to want to find a way to add something similar into my ideas. The time that I spend changing my ideas could be spent working on my already decent game. So, I just wanted to let you know that I'm still working on my game ,and hopefully I'll be back in a few weeks with something to show for myself.

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:22 pm

I've returned for I need some opinions. I'll start by saying what I've been doing the past few days. I've played around a lot with making 3D models. I'm a lot better at it than when I first started since I found some good tutorials. I should be ready to start modeling some models that will fit with the game I'm trying to make.

Next, I've gone through several stories (including my original one). Each game that I thought of sounded good at first ,but when I though about what would happen after the first few levels, I realized that I couldn't stretch the game out as I long as planned. The games also turned out being too serious. Even though I'd like to make a serious game, I don't feel that I have the skills to go about making one. I wanted to make a game with a simple storyline, fun game play, and maybe make you chuckle a little bit. So, without further ado, I present to you with my next idea for my project.

You are Dave. Dave has a tough life. He has a stressful job, stressful hobbies, and annoying friends and family. Eventually, Dave was pushed off the edge. He couldn't control his anger. He was forced to take anger management classes. During his classes, his doctor recommended that Dave take up a relaxing hobby. Dave thought and thought. He eventually decided to take up golf. That seemed like a relaxing, easy sport. Dave was completely wrong. Golf was the most frustrating thing that Dave ever attempted. However, Dave was too mad to lose or quit. He would win by any means necessary.

What do you think? I am unsure of whether to use fishing or golf as the relaxing sport. I'm not sure which would be easier. For golf, I'd need to make realistic ball physics and things like that. For fishing, I'd need to work out how to make a fishing rod that you could fish with and maybe even a boat. Sound possible? If not, I'm open to any other relaxing activities to use in the game.

Also, let me explain how the anger thing would work in the game. Let me use the golf version for an example. Any obstacles in your way of the hole could be knocked down with the golf club, you could use other objects besides clubs to hit the ball (hit the ball farther with a giant hammer maybe), and if you're over par, Dave's sanity meter will go down by a certain number of points. The whole point of the game is to keep Dave safe from his fits of rage by cheating at the sport.

So, what do you think? Destructible environments the way to make boring sports games fun? Is this even possible to make?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:40 pm

hahahaha this is genious!!! :lol: i can already see dave hitting and smashing everything on the golf club including the ball, various statues, and other club members. Of course the game doesn't take it seriously, so he cannot kill those people, just hurt htem a little. One of the missions could be to get the ball into one of the stautes and after a few tries the statue has a ear shot and some parts are missing (because you didn't hit the hole) and then dave gets angrier because he didn't hit the hole in the statue. So you can use his anger to smash the statue with the golf club and then simply toss the ball in there. Ball is in the statue, dave's satisfied, everyone's happy. lol.

You will be able to make dave angrier by not hitting the hole multiple times. When dave gets angrier, he can perform special moves he needs for solving some of the puzzles (for that he gets the ball into the hole and gets satisfied...). Hahahaha this will be so fun to play... I LOVE the idea :D :D :D :D

Maybe you could name the game just "ANGRY" and then in the title picture you have dave standing with a golf club ready for combat and beneath there are the letters "ANGRY".... :D
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----