Help on story

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:20 am

yes but when religion gets involved the game gets kind of boring.

the manga style im looking for is the Final Fantasy series. i want to have a more sci fi aproach than oblivion but still keeping the "fantasy" in it. i think FF shows that the best out of all games. but the actual game play in the series is not very fun. you dont get to do massive combos and huge magical attacks that can wipe out everything in your way.in kingdom hearts you do get a peice of that action but the disney style makes it less manga like FF. the story line of fable is not bad. this game allows you to kind of choose your own path and get a new experience every time you play. but it did not satisfy me that much as it just seemed like a baby brother to oblivion.

so im trying to design what you might call "the perfect RPG game".
as i said in my previous presentation. i want a game wich gives you the joy of many genres all blended into one explosive manga RPG game.

im still a bit cautious about using the manga style as it might intefere with the genre mix up. so i dont know if i will use the japanese manga style but go for a more english manga style.

here are the type of game styles i want.
this is my blender and these are my ingredients:

kingdom hearts
oblivion
Final fantasy
fable the lost chapters
VEXX
kya dark lineage
world of warcraft
dungeon seige
haven call of the king
god of war
kameo
sly racoon

now i turn it on.RRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHRRRRR
what do i get.
MY game. the ultimate rpg game

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:02 am

i have a new idea for being able to control dark and light energy: an amulet made out of two halves.

i like the story in the 3rd prince of persia game. the two thrones. i like how he has a dark opposite inside himself.

i really like the setting that is used in POP. but it doesent really giv the anime look. i still want to keep the KH/FF look.

ive still got major problems with the story.

i want to get rid of the possesion thing and make it that the creatures are actually killing people. that way it probably will get more violent but it can have a huge impact on the motivation of your iner self and on the story.
for example: you enter the chamber and see all of your village friends killed. your dark side begins to come out, and thats where you transform and become all dark and powerful.

this will effect the magical side of this game and maybe even the manga look but it will still keep the rpg style and the wonderful gameplay.
this could also mean that the game would seem more realistic if it doesent have magic. so the story has to be different aswell.
the type of games im thinking about are:

POP series (new 3d versions)
god of war series
heavenly sword

i want to keep the creatures as they are the main focus in this story but i want them to be more "fleshy" and more solid like real animals, still keeping the dark look.

the main character will be in his 20s and will either be a soldier. he wont have any friends in the begining but will later make a few friends and one romantic one.

CONCEPT 1
there is a great war in the eternal oasis. you are a new soldier that just joined. all of the men seem bigger, stronger and more beefed up. you see the two oposing generals talking to each other. they walk back. its about to start. you get your sword out and get ready. your heart beat is louder than a lions roar. ......................

this is my first idea. any ideas on whats next?

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:43 am

You should really give up that turning into a something powerful part because it's just copying POP, instead you should think of something more original. I tried to think something out, but no idea...
Lithuanians for Georgia!

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:45 pm

ive made some progress on the design. you will be able to transorm into a dark version of yourself and be able to do all kinds of abilities like porting behind your enemy and diving underground.

the ability system can be upgraded by absorbing orbs or items that drop nwhen you kill the enemy. this way you can "purchase" the abilities and create your own combos.

ive got the main keyboard layout finished so i can easily design how the abilities will be accessed. there is a small slot system wich allows you to place the ability icon in one of those slots. each slot can hold two abilities, the left one being set to the left mouse button and the right one to the the right mouse button. then you press shift and either press the left or right mbutton. then to circle around the ability slots you can press b. to attack you simply press the left mouse button on its own.

I havent got much on the story yet but its lowly coming together. my worst fear is the programming bit. how will i be able to achieve POP/fable style graphics plus all of the gameplay components. ive got torque 1.6 but all i can really do is just do a small level where you run around doing nothing. i have no idea how i will program this game. so besides that im slowly getting everything together.

oh and im still happy to take your ideas. :D

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:47 am

:cry: :x :evil: :evil: :evil: this is very frustrating. i just cant seem to build up a story. i dont know what to do. help help help help help

jonas

Post by jonas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:45 pm

I don't know if you've seen my post in the game design forum but I ran into the very same problem. I got an idea, I saw several games pieced together in my mind but I couldn't develop the story for it. But from what I hear it helps a ton to read a whole lot of books with that genre. It helps build your imagination. Then you might check at your library for a book about game writing. We have one at my school and it really helps you get in the mind set for writing a storyline.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack