BattleBees: Game Concept For Kid's Game

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
vegas WP

BattleBees: Game Concept For Kid's Game

Post by vegas WP » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:36 am

My main focus of this thread is to ask others out there if this concept is already out there and if it is, how similar it is to existing works.

The storyline is that you and your fellow bees must wage war against three other bee colonies. Each colony would have different characteristics such as different bees, different queens, even the colonies would be different such as a sphere hive with honeycomb walls, a colony inside a house wall (electrical wires, plaster, plumbing, etc. A colony inside a tree with other enemies such as squirrels, possums, etc. The queen bee must be killed at the end of each colony (level) and she will have different methods of which to attack her (weak spots, etc). The game itself isn't intended to be realistic-looking, but more of a vivid color, cartoonish feel. The game is intended to be age-appropriate even for younger kids.

If anyone has any other thoughts on things to add, etc., that might make this game more developed, your input is most welcome.
#11. Thou Shalt Not Use Cut Brushes.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:28 pm

I like it... I think ppl underestimate how much fun these kinda kids games can be. Its like Im a massive Postal2 fan but i still love to kick back and play some cute indie games (one of my faves is 'Velocity Bee' how ironic) oh and it sounds vaugly original, Velocity Bee is just a flying arcade game so dont worry about that :)

Yeah i say go ahead it should be cool!

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:31 am

There have been some similar games (for example: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/bat ... tle%20bugs ). I've never seen one that was aimed for children though. I think that it's a great idea. I see a lot of opportunities for ways that a younger child could learn in this game. The bees could be different colors ,and you might have to search for flowers with different shapes etc. I wouldn't worry about violence too much. I am pretty sure that your smart enough to not include blood and gore in an all ages game. Look at the game A Bug's Life for the PS1. You had to kill a lot of bugs to win ,but it never felt like you actually did anything wrong. I am not sure if you said that your audience was strictly children or a game that anyone could enjoy. If it's an all ages game, you might want to be more subtle about any missions that include learning shapes and colors if you chose to include that. Younger kids are forced to learn their shapes and colors in almost every toy on the market. Your game can give the players problem solving skills if you chose not to add the shapes and colors missions.