Would like to make a game, but first- what's the reality?

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
mussashimits

Would like to make a game, but first- what's the reality?

Post by mussashimits » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi,
I just stumbled onto Reality Factory. I've been looking for a program that lets you create 3d games without scripting, but haven't had luck. Now I'd like to describe a game I'd like to create, and see if someone can tell me if I can accomplish this realistically without programming knowledge.

I'd like to make a 3rd person game, with the camera and controls like the for the premade characters in RF. But I'd like to make it a fighting game with punch/kick attacks and throws.

So I guess my questions are: are there any premade examples out there that I can use that sound like they might work for this? Also, I know you can make games without programming knowledge (like the basically pre-made shooter game you can create with a few clicks of the mouse), but what about what I described- will I need programming knowledge to make this?

Thanks for the help!

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:00 am

Nope no programming knowledge is required, and what you said is possible and has been done. You can find a bunch of demos at the Reality factory Resource site and hike1's site Look for a game called dojo on the reality factory resource site, for a good example of a fighting game.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

mussashimits

Post by mussashimits » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks for the help, jonahs. Now I'd like to ask- where might I find a tutorial? I found one but it mainly dealt with texturing and mapping. I'd like to get into the hard stuff like determining events. Thanks again

scott

Post by scott » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:08 am

have a read of the tutorials that come with RF, they go along way to explaining the simple functions, also mabe search the forum for something like help texturing as im sure something will come up.
*GD*

V4zCeNt

Post by V4zCeNt » Sun May 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Ha I went looking for Dojo myself. It's rated 1 lol, I'll edit/ post again after I've played it.