Starting Out...

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
bradman_92

Starting Out...

Post by bradman_92 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:36 am

Hi, this is my first post. I just got Reality factory maybe a month ago and have been slowly self-teaching myself how to use it. I would soon like to make a GTA-like video game (despite all the critisism people who want to do this seem to get). First though, I would like to make a smaller, easier game that teaches me the skills I would need to make a larger game (similiar to GTA). Does anyone have any ideas on this topic. I would like to incorporate driving into it, but don't have experience in this yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I'm already familiar with making building, so please try not to tell me to go back and do the basics, lol, although I am open to suggestions on what skills i should learn before making a game.

Another thing, is this the place for a post like this to be or should it be in another section?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:33 am

It's okay to post this here. Welcome to Reality Factory. I'm glad you've spent some time learning on your own. It is also wise to start with a smaller project to get your feet wet. Now, the best example of automobiles in RF has been produced by Frederico. Here is the thread with a link to the demo:

http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... alityracer

Frederico is one of the finest developers RF has ever seen. He's a genius with physics, scripting and design. Search for his posts and you will learn a LOT!!

Best of luck to ya!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

bradman_92

Post by bradman_92 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks steven8. I've went through this forum a bit and i have seen a lot (A LOT!!!!) of great tips and posts from frederico. Thanks a whole bunch for people like you guys. If it weren't for this forum i'm sure that many people that get into reality factory wouldn't get farther than downloading it.

psYco

Post by psYco » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :D , I suggest you start off by making a corridor FPS game, pretty basic stuff it will get you into player scripting enemies the proper use of lights and other entities, also you could then make a few outdoor enviroments, and then as you go and as you get more familiar with things you could try adding in driving and some other a bit more advanced things.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:36 pm

psYco wrote:try adding in driving and some other a bit more advanced things.
A bit more advanced :D ? I'm using RF for quite a long time now and I still coundn't do anything mountable...
Lithuanians for Georgia!