Feasibility of Creating a Real-Time Strategy Game?

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Grinning Moon

Feasibility of Creating a Real-Time Strategy Game?

Post by Grinning Moon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Given that, from what I've seen and read, Reality Factory is largely designed for First Person Shooters, how likely is it that a functional Real-Time Strategy game could be built using Reality Factory?

...I suppose the more appropriate questions would be, what kind of AI and pathfinding can I expect to be able to create with RF, and how many polygons can the engine handle on the screen at once?

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:57 pm

First of all, welcome to the forums! :D

Secondly, yes. RF is mainly designed for shooters (both 1st and 3rd person), but also RPGs are possible. But an RTS? Hmmh...
I would say that it is possible to create a functioning, or at least almost-functioning, strategy game with RF. However, it's certainly not an easy task. The biggest problem is probably the lack of ability to create additional entitys (units) when the game is running. You must place every entity to the level with the editor before compiling it. Also, I'm not aware of any kind of built-in pathfinding, but you could probably write some hardcore scripts to create a decent pathfinding.

The performance question has been around always. Nobody has a clear answer to that. It depends on your computer, number of scripts running, number of other entitys, etc etc... The only way to find out is to test different situations with RF.

All in all, it may be possible to create a RTS with RF, but I really don't recommend it... not if it's your first project.
Pain is only psychological.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:15 am

PLUS, putting all like 200so soldiers there beforehand is going to lagggggggggggggggggggggg
Herp derp.