PROJECT: Xenon

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Mark in 2-D

PROJECT: Xenon

Post by Mark in 2-D » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:08 am

This is my first game so although it may be crap please be considerate to my feelings and give me constructive critacism.
I making it for a friend who once after watching shaun of the dead with me said "It'd be cool if everyone in the world was zombies but us." A few years down the track after using Klik & Play then Games Factory 1 & 2 and finaly the trial version of FPS creator I realised that I absolutely love game making! So I found Reality Factory on a game creation resources site and downloaded and began making a game with Zombies. I cant be bothered explaining the story so I'll attach the Story/Manual to a post some time in the near future! I've attached a screenshot of the game for your viewing pleasure. I want to attach more but I created a bathroom in my game with alot of mirror faces... I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but ever since I created it all the lighting in my game goes al screwy and things arent dark anymore and most objects look pinkish. Please if anyone has any idea what the problem is please let me know... Thanks.
Attachments
Marksgam4.JPG
Doesnt give you much of an idea of my game but its all I got...
Marksgam4.JPG (28.05 KiB) Viewed 950 times

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:20 am

Welcome to the forums!! :D

That screenshot looks great!
Did you make the textures yourself? They're absolutely stunning!

I don't know what's wrong with your lighting, but I hope you can get it fixed. I also hope that you have the energy and time to finish this project. I just love zombie games. Good luck. :)
Pain is only psychological.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:58 am

Thanks sooo much for your enthusiasm. I've heard great things about your game creation skills. I wish I had made these beautiful textures but I didnt. I simply scabbed them of the internet then converted them and stuff. I tested my game tonight and as soon as it loaded up it suddenly shut down for no reason and its really getting on my nerves. Thanks Again! :D

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 pm

I dont know if double posting is allowed in this forum. If it is I'm sorry for doing it. I deleted the bathroom in my game as I was having too many problems with it and now everything works fine in the game. Which also meens I can post more screenshots!
Attachments
Marksgam5.JPG
The computer lab.
Marksgam5.JPG (19.1 KiB) Viewed 942 times

shadow

Post by shadow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Great looking screenshots.
I love the dark creepy look with lots of shadows.
Nicely done

Good luck

scott

Post by scott » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 pm

it looks greate, i know your going to do well because thats the same quality i had in my first level, now im in the midst of making my own full game that i hope to sell, i wish u the best of luck with your game creation, any questions dont hesitate to ask, and theres no rules for double posting.

hope to see more work from you in the future.
*GD*

psYco

Post by psYco » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm

The screens look really cool so far, well done man. And like I love zombie games (does anyone not?) anyway im really looking forward to playing this when its done :D

Im glad to hear you got your problem sorted out, it is unadvisable to use lots of mirrors... And like yeah it would be soooo cool if everyone was zombiefied... except me and meh m8s blates :twisted:

good luck and like scott said, feel free to post any problems on the forums :D

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:38 pm

I cant believe how friendly this forum is... Thank you sooo much for your help and encouragement. Here are a few more screenshots for you. I have a question though. Can someone (with alot of patients) explain to me the exact steps in creating a flashlight spotlight thing ( a light wherever you look). If you know of a site that tells the exact steps that would be fine too thank you! :D
Attachments
Marksgam6.JPG
A room
Marksgam6.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Marksgam7.JPG
Corridor...
Marksgam7.JPG (42.73 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Marksgam8.JPG
Inside an unfinnished room looking into an unfinnished room (yet to be finnished)
Marksgam8.JPG (18.45 KiB) Viewed 917 times

scott

Post by scott » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm

your levels are looking greate, one bit of advice, you havnt done it yet in the pics you have shown but dont use crates/boxes it makes the game really boring then. it was the same in the new ff7 game, they used lots of boxes, it ruined it for me, where ever possible leave them out, but use them where necasery such as storage rooms.
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:46 am

Wow, I'm impressed! Really neat looking shots! :D
The mood is fantastic, all the dark corners and shadows... so creepy. Keep it up!

A ready flashlight script should come with the RF installation. There should be a file called 'flashlight.s' in your 'scripts' folder.
Now, add a new pawntype. Open up pawn.ini and add this:

Code: Select all

[flashlight]
actorname = Projectile\proj.act
actorrotation = 0 180 0
actorscale = 1
fillcolor = 255 255 255
ambientcolor = 255 255 255
subjecttogravity = false
boundingboxanimation = nocollide
shadowsize = 0
Then open up your level editor and add an entity called 'Pawn' to the level.
Give it these properties:
HideFromRadar: true
PawnType: flashlight
ScriptName: flashlight.s
SpawnOrder: Spawn
szEntityName: flashlight

Then add a DSpotLight entity to your level and give it these properties:
BoneName: joint1
EntityName: flashlight

You can play around with the remaining settings and see what happens. They shouldn't affect the basic functionality.

Compile your level and it should work.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:22 am

Thank you soooo much for the script. I want it to be scary so this will make it so you dont see something untill you're actualy close to it! More screenshots as my game gets bigger!
Attachments
Marksgam9.JPG
Almost completely against scott's post here is a room in my game... dont worry its a storage room!
Marksgam9.JPG (30.97 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Marksgam10.JPG
Moving platform.
Marksgam10.JPG (29.52 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Marksgam11.JPG
Obviously the zombies dont know how to use doors.
Marksgam11.JPG (35.62 KiB) Viewed 895 times

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:33 am

Im sooo sorry to nag and be a pain but the flashlight wont follow the player... do you have any idea why not?

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:28 am

Oh, you have to set 'Rotate' to true in the DSpotlight properties.

Also, with the default rotation the light won't probably shine in the right direction. You may have to play with the 'angles' field a bit. The easiest way to align the light properly is to look where the light shines in 3rd person and then rotate accordingly. For example, if the light shines to the right, add 90 to the Y-rotation.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Thanks heaps... I sound like such a fussy person but the spotlight is to low. I want it to shine exactly where the crosshair does. i tried ratating the angle of the light up more but that did nothing. Also it says flashlight update on the screen. Is there any way to get rid of that?... Sorry to put you out of you're way but i need help!

Thanks Heaps!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Open the flashlight script. There should be a line 'Console(true);' in the beginning. Change that to 'Console(false);' and the info text should disappear.

You can adjust the height of the flashlight too by modifying the script.
There is line:

Code: Select all

PositionToPlayer(0, 30, 10, true, false);
the numbers 0,30,10 there define how high the flashlight should be. Just make the middle one larger and it should move upwards.