Another game concept <-- twisted storyline! (oh noes)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Devoto

Another game concept <-- twisted storyline! (oh noes)

Post by Devoto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 am

Me and my twisted imagination have together come up with an idea that I think could work really well if done properly.

There's a very common concept were you wake up in a research facility/lab and either know or don't know who you are and you might have or might no have superpowers/weapons.
What if we turned this whole idea around? You are a scientist, recently transfered to a new, state of the art, weapons research and genetics lab. During the first part of the game you just randomly get to walk around and talk to people (like in DooM 3) and eventually you'll get to your room. were your first assignment is given to you. There's a new typ of weaponry being developed that is supposed to be integrated with the human body. For this example, the "hand"gun (XD) that's pointing straight out of the soldiers palm.
Also, some of you might know this, there's something called "improvised ammunition" wich basically is when soldiers on the field have to improvise and use whatever is avalible as ammunition. Like snow that through high pressure turns into lethal ice-bullets. There we have the reload function for this "hand"gun (hahahahaha I love that). It runs on water wich is injected into the magazin through the arm.
Back to story. You arrive at the room where the first soldier is trying on the handgun and you get to see yet a little more of the facilities. Though during the tests somethings goes wrong! When the soldier is about to reload the flow of water wont stop! Resulting in a nice and gory explosion of his right arm.
Well...back to the blueprints. You get a few more assignments and get to run around some. You'll also learn that some of the research done here is not entireley done with the subjects best in mind (scientists=sadistic). You're obviously the new office-nice woman around here and in this part of the game it'd be fun to throw some kind of function where the screen turns a little less colored and everything just seems duller, it would appear when you walk past some one or get a new thing to do. In this mode you can hear some random thoughts from yourself. I'd like to see a head character with sarcastic humor :wink:
"A few days later" says the screen after you've gone to bed and indeed it has gone a few days (wooo). You're going to observe another subject. It's the Handgun again :)
Only...when you arrive to the subject-chambers you can't believe your eyes! The subject is no one other than your father/brother/twin/girlfriend/boyfriend(?)/dearest friend :shock: From what you've seen earlier you realise you can't let this continue.
Well...you might get were I'm heading?
In a cutscene your character grabs a lamp and hits the other scientist in the back of his head! But uh.... you're a scientist...not some macho dude... your colleuge shouts "WHAT THE ****?!" and turns around. In panic you grab an injection from the table and thrusts it into your arm. Thirty seconds and a severe mutation to your left arm later, you stand there watching what's left of your ex-co-worker. (insert name of person to be saved here) Looks at you in confusion and terror and you start to explain that what just happend to you was one of the minor things being under development at this place. You open the door and start your epic escape.

Some of the game features would involve always having to take care of (insert name of person to be saved here) and finding better weapons for said person. It would also happen to be that the the thingy you injected into yourself is slowly turning you into some kind of monster. You'll get thermal-vision to spot enemies, greater strength to bash open doors, and much more.
Depending of what kind of things you do to (insert name of person to be saved here) he/she will get different abilities and look different and perhaps even change the ending of the game? Also the "hear yourself thinking" function could come in handy when you've been doing a puzzle for a long time or when the mutation starts to get its own mind and fights with you to control the body.

This is still a concept in development (by me and me only) but I was hoping someone with great skill in game-development would like to do at least some part of this game.

Also i would like to apoligize for anything I spelled wrong^^

Enjoy
//Devoto 8)
Last edited by Devoto on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Graviora manent...

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:53 am

That story and game idea sounds perfect for me. You are a true genious. I would love to design the weapons facility on rf for you and colaborate with you on the awsome game but I'm too busy at the moment with PROJECT: Xenon. I'm sooo sorry but I'm making P:X for a friend and he wouldn't be happy if I dropped everything to help another guy on his project. I might submit ideas to you though! Sorry again and goodluck!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Wow. That is a very good storyline. I really mean that. I keep saying that most poeple do what others do, but because of that most poeple do not listen to that advice. So the games are somewhat like clones in the end.

But you're twisting it all around. That is what makes it special. I like that. :D

About your twisted imagination, i think it is just your way of generating ideas. Mine is doing fun things (because i get fun ideas from having fun), and dreams (the best ideas of mine always come from them, really) . Only in dreams our fantasy is really free. One time i came up with a storyline and Spyrewolf said it was good but i should not eat cheese before going to bed if i dreamt somthing like that lol.

I am sorry but i cannot help you with that because i have one project of my own and one where i am helping out. That would get to much. But i would like to exchange content maybe. That means, i do the thinghs i am good at (textures and scrips) for you while you then do something for me i am not that good at (like modelling for example). Send me a pm if you're interested.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:01 pm

I like the story too. This 'epic escape' is used a lot in games, but it works, so why not use it. :)
The story needs to give the player a reason to play the game and I think that's exactly what your story does. You must get out with your friend! It's personal - you're not doing it just because someone high up says you gotta do it, but because you want to survive. I don't usually like those games where you fight, say, terrorists to 'save the world' when there's nothing personal in it.

All those mutations along with this 'friend' would produce an interesting gameplay too. It wouldn't certainly be "just another FPS". And yes, if done properly I think it would work really well! I would really like to see this idea turned into a game. :)
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Great ideas, and I really like the "friend" concept too, I think Juutis really put it well, the thing that makes this idea effective is that it IS personal it draws in that 5th dimension of emotional thaught (the 4th dimention is time)

I would really like to help out with this, but im afraid that im really busy at the moment with school and of course my own game project witch im trying to dedicate any spare time to...

Anyway good luck with this it sounds immence! :D

Devoto

Post by Devoto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:58 pm

Woa thx a lot guys it means a lot to get such feedback :D

I understand you all got other stuff to do, so do I. I'm just gonna start with some more story evolving...coming up with names for everything and then we'll see how it goes :wink:

Any ideas for the name of my game are welcome. Names for main characters and places too^^

//Devoto
Graviora manent...

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Well for a name for the game (im a fan of names with hidden meaning, like Half-Life and its lamba symbol, having scientific meaning that is actually deeply related to the game) so Im thinking something about a great escape from danger (which I think is the basic idea of it) well I was thinking something like "Grand Circumvention" or "Gallant Elope" if you want something more straight and 'catchy' mabey "cut loose" would be cool... or mabey something to focus more on the fact that you are not alone and are fighting you way out with a partner, so somthing like "As One" i just thaught that sounded cool...

Anyway thats my two cents... :)

Devoto

Post by Devoto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Those are some great names acutally

I was thinking if you could include something scientific in it? Maybe a latin phrase?
Graviora Manent is one of my favourite meaning something like "The worst is yet to come" or "The worst is ahead of you"
Evado is a latin word for Escape and i kinda like it...though it sounds pretty odd to those who don't know it... as you say it'd be cool to have something deeply related to something that happens in the game.
well... I'll be up to my neck i schoolwork this week so I'll see you guys next weekend
Graviora manent...

GD1

Post by GD1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:53 pm

i honestly REALLY LOVE THIS IDEA. this is one of the best i've seen on this forum. you really need to play out the factor of your friend (IMO, it should be a love interest) and how your character is willing to sacrifice himself (by turning into this monster and eventually dying) to save her life.

very original!
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

psYco

Post by psYco » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Actually thinking about it, I havent seen EVER a true love story in a game, that could really be quite "ground breaking" well Im loving the idea more and more...

Devoto

Post by Devoto » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:08 am

Hi again guys
I've been doing some thinking, studying and conversing with my friends... I've got a few name that might fit here and there and also got three more people to help me(!) :)

I'll be leading the project and program/script/put it all together
My neighbour Green will be doing the music and some concept art with me
Gito from http://www.plastercast.co.nr will do some 3d-modeling and textures
and my other friend Andy will be doing some textures

Also... I saw that zany 001 was doing a name-poll kind of thingy
I was wondering...is that considered spamming the forum or can I do some as well? I really need help to decide on some of my ideas...

I'll keep in touch
//Devoto
Graviora manent...

psYco

Post by psYco » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:51 am

Im pretty sure your allowed to make a new poll (well nobody would really mind) so please go ahead and post a poll Im interested to hear these new names youve come up with :D

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:58 am

Also... I saw that zany 001 was doing a name-poll kind of thingy
I was wondering...is that considered spamming the forum or can I do some as well? I really need help to decide on some of my ideas...
You could've just added the poll to this thread by editing the first post, but I guess it's OK.

Great names, BTW. You have an extraordinary imagination. :)
Pain is only psychological.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:22 am

Agreed.Dang good idea.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 pm

yeah, i agree. you almost never see a true love story in a game. nothing beyond mario trying to save peach. no serious game touches the romance genre. this is something i'm trying to do with my current project. you can only have so much kill kill kill without adding another element of some kind. games need depth. that is the only way they will ever start being taken seriously.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox