RTS

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Mallek

RTS

Post by Mallek » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:08 am

is there any way to make an RTS in RF?

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:35 am

it is possible,but i believe the main problem with rts is that you cant press a button to spawn more soldiers,you have to have them sitting somewhere else,and teleport them when you create a soldier,this might be different now.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:21 am

wel actually thats how rts mainly work. when activating a certain button. soldiers get spawned to the level randomly or fixed.

no one has made a rts with rf before but it definetly is possible.

RF is mainly targeted on fps and rpg games.

it can be done by scrpiting.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 pm

so can rf spawn a new character without having to teleport it from somewhere else?
True story.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 pm

dont think so.
you can make it like this: on a smaller scale. you start out with a set amount of troops and you cant make more.
Herp derp.

Mallek

Post by Mallek » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 am

well, with lots of scripting it would be possible wouldn't it. but i'm not into lots of scripting at the moment. maybe later it can be one of my pet project.

scott

Post by scott » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:40 am

well most rts games have a unit cap limiting the number of things buildt/constructed, if you have this of screen in an unacesable part of the screen, and use a script to transport it to where it is supposed to be, when destroyed it goes back to this place, the things you would have to work out for this would be how to let the player place units/buildings, i am unsure if you can move or attatch a teleport entity to objects, i know that you asked for another way but i belive that this could be the easiest option. that may solve the problem of creating units.

then you would have to work on the actual game itself. i belive the most important thing to decide after this is how detaild you want the game, you got the option of moving to any location that the mouse points to or seperate the map into grids, each unit takes up so many grid places, this is important thing to consider as the way the player would position the buildings and the level of ai requierd meaning more/complex scripting.
*GD*

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:20 am

you could have alot of soldiers if you make the soldiers like 10 polys
buildings can be blocks w/ good textures

gameplayer: would require lots of scripting to select move and build characters.
Herp derp.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:08 am

i think wat scott said was wat i meant,and if you make real low poly soldiers,then i reckon you should use alpha maps,so it looks high(er)poly but its not.
True story.