Band of the Brave "Elite Airborne"

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 am

I was wondering if I could get some imput from you all on the setting for this level. This level is going to be the demo level. The full game will include 3 levels. But for this level, what do you think would be the best setting to go with. Night time, and rainy, just night time, day time and cloudy, etc. which do you think would appeal to you the most if you were playing the game.
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun May 13, 2007 2:42 am

I would make it nighttime and rainy. Nighttime you can get away with rendering less detail into the distance, and thus have more detail closer to you; it also gives enemies more hiding places. Rain gives a nice, moody atmosphere if done right.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 13, 2007 4:10 am

Thats what I was thinking, but is it possible to create rain in RF? perhaps some fog as well? How would I make the eviroment nighttime. Would I have to find a sky box to use, or simply use dark lights?I think this level will be really easy to render because all the textures I am using is a ground texture for the ground, and maybe a few textures for lightpools under house lights and thats it. all the other textures are the textures that go with the models I am using. I think I can achive a very neat affect for the enviroment by using thunder, footsteps, rain drops sound affects properly. Proboly the hardest part will be building the house that contains the communcation phone, since the player has to be able to go inside, walk around, etc. I think I may build the house structure itself using the RF cube template, then add models of furniture, stairs, etc to make the house look more realistic.

hehe, thanks everyone for leting me talk outloud and sound these ideas off of you guys. Keep the feedback coming

scott

Post by scott » Sun May 13, 2007 4:41 am

well then, for night time, its never acutaly pitch black, so when you go to compile the level, it gives you the option for default lighting, this is the level of light throughout your level, turn the numbers right down, i would create a basic room to mess around with the numbers for quick compile times.

in the entity list there is a rain entity i belive, in my opinion i would change the actual rain texture that is uses, can be found in the media file in RF under bitmaps i belive.
*GD*

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 13, 2007 5:07 am

ok, I naver noticed the lighting options in the level compile screen, i will mess around with that, and post the setting I think are nice to use, might be usfull for somone. Also, do you have a perticular rain texture you like to use, or have used.

scott

Post by scott » Sun May 13, 2007 5:49 am

unfortunatly not, the only one i have ever used was the original one with RF, in my opinion i think its too wide and i would bring down the transparency to make it just slightely transparent.
*GD*

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 13, 2007 5:54 am

I noticed that to. It looks like ice falling :lol: I made a quick level messed around with the rain entity and the lighting entity. I also added a light, and it made a really cool affect in the dark. I think im finaly ready to start peicing the level together.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 25, 2007 4:23 am

Helo again all,

I am finally back from vacation and am ready to get back to work. as I said before I left, I have selected most of my models, and textures. today, I made most of my models into act. for use as pawns, and started building the level. I cant seem to get the models to have textures after they are turned into an act. anybody have any ideas on why this is happening. I hope to post some screenys soon. it looks super cool as it is without textures on the models, so I can only imagine how cool it will look with textures. now that im back, you can expect more regular updates and progress.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:22 am

the image on the bottom of your sig is broken
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri May 25, 2007 5:32 am

well then, for night time, its never acutaly pitch black, so when you go to compile the level, it gives you the option for default lighting, this is the level of light throughout your level, turn the numbers right down
noo! Yuck! the default light cast's crap lighting and reck's atmosphere, use the SunLight entity and colour it blue-ish and give it a low number plus the shadows it cast's are much nicer,

(i know what you thinking) shadows at night? well there are some. with the lighting subtly lighting you level it will looks better that the default lighting.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 25, 2007 4:35 pm

hmmmm, your right spyrewolf

It would look one heap of alot better then using the defult color options.
Thanks for the suggestion

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 pm

can u use external p[rogrms to model lights,and then put them in rf?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 31, 2007 2:01 am

hello folks,

unfourtuantly, this project is going to have to be on hold for who knows how long. Somthing happend to my computer and I lost about 150 hours woth of work of of models, texture maps, including some RF stuff as well/ So this project, needless to say, is not going anywhere soon. Hopfully, as soon as I get the computer back up and runnin, I can see what I can salvage. I know for sure all my models from when I first started model building, up till now, are gone. :x

so i will post when i am back up and runnin again. I will still be on the forums though.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu May 31, 2007 2:24 am

oh dear....

this sucks when this happens i lost seven month worth, back in the crash of '04
now I religeously burn a CD-RW once a week, so this horrible thing never happens again.

damn dude i feel you pain :(
however not all bad I find that if im forced to re-do it usually comes out better and quicker especially when you know where your headed, ah the creative process.