Band of the Brave "Elite Airborne"

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Ryan

Band of the Brave "Elite Airborne"

Post by Ryan » Wed May 09, 2007 6:04 pm

I thought it would be cool to post the game I am starting to working on, and even thoug I am still learning RF, I find it helps me to have an overall goal in mind. This game is the reason I was looking around for a good free 3D engine, that would render nicely. RF fits the bill perfectly. So heres the game.

The game takes place about midway through WWII. You are the captain of an airborne squadron that has been given the mission to secure the area around a key german transport route. As you and your squad are aproaching the drop off point, german antiaircraft spot you. You and your squad is forced to jump early to escape the severly damaged plane. This is when the mission starts. For now, this is the demo mission.

Your forced jump lands you in a small farm town, about 4 miles off the target point. The town is a known german comunucation post, and far as you know, the germans dont'nt know you have landed there. You must capture the farm town and call for help.

Thats where I am so far, I admit, the story could use some work, but that is the general idea. please give me any critiques, suggestions, or advice, that you have. it is much appriciated.
Last edited by Ryan on Thu May 10, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 am

the name sounds alot like medal of honor. Medal of Bravery- Medal of Honor? just telling. the begining sorta sounds like MOHAA, cept ur a captian. can u have a squad system?
Herp derp.

psYco

Post by psYco » Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 am

well, first off... You have got to know, when making a WWII game, especially in the way u seem to describe now, u have ALOT of competition, like a MILLION+ games that are VERY simmilar in plot, locations, weapons, and this is because ur limiting yourself to a war that is now the most popular setting for games.

BUT if u are sure you want a "WWII shooter" then yeah your game sounds pretty good, beginging is action packed and should be fun (I never sed that those MILLION+ WWII shooters were rubbish, only about 2 thirds are rubbish)

also the name DOES sound ALOT like medel of honour (did i spell honour wrong?) anyway yeah i'd think about the name, specially since the new MoH coming out in a few monthes is called... well i forget but it has airborn in it too so itll be REALLY similar then.

anyway good luck with this and I hope you find what ur looking for in RF
:D

Oh and PLEASE can we play the germans?! i mean seriously, I know that they were the "baddies" but we played baddies in the GTA games and Manhunt and Mafia and well need i go on? I really think its a poor show when the biggest WWII shooter CoD covers EVERY side and EVERY battle but NEVER do u wear a german helmet! I dont want to hurt jews or take part in anything the nazis did, but i would like to get to feel fighting from their perspective, just like it was interesting to fight as the british and russian and american forces... There THATS something that can be expanded on in the WWII genre NAZIs!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:07 am

Yea, MOH airborn is coming out, and it does sound a lot like the MOH series now that it is mentioned. and yes, i was planing for the player to be able to play on the german side. How would I do that though in RF. I would use the same map for sure, the way I was thinking it should be would be to simply reverse the story. if you played on the US side, you would be trying to take the german communication post, if you played on the german side, you would be protecting the communication post. Although, it does seem a bit harder to script the bots for the US side, because they are going to be attacking from the open, and will have to be given a script for them to find cover, attack you "the player" and move in to take the post, where as if yo uare playing on the US side, (like I said in my first post) you have the element of suprise and you can sneak up on the germans bots, inside building, clean out rooms with grenades, etc. does anyone think there should be a story change in order, somthing to enable me to take out being able to play on the german side, but still keep the game unique? Somthing like a unique feature, being able to do somthing that you cant do in any other WWII game? Any thoughts are appriciated.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:41 am

firstly: the german medal is i think, the iron cross
secondly: to make players go on the other team (i didnt do it very well) is to make a new map thats exactly the same cept the player start is on the german side and the pawns have different scripts.
third: those pawn scripts seem a little ambitious. i mean REALLY AMBITIOUS! teh nades and stuff into bunkers and congested areas will be hard but with the power of scripting anything goes.
Herp derp.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 10, 2007 3:36 am

Well this is inteneded to be a long term project. I will complete is as I learn how to do things RF. I thought it was help me learn RF faster is I had this game as a testbed. And when in done, I will have learned more about RF and hopfully have a nice game to show off :P So this in no way is a quick project at all.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 10, 2007 4:56 pm

also, this level will be largely in part an outdoor level. Now I have read there are a few ways of achiveing an outdoor enviroment, the the way that sounds most efficiant to me is to make a large box, and give it sky textures. I know that this method lowers the framerate. Is this a good or bad thing? Also, if it is a bad thing, is there a a way to make the actors, objects, and the first person wepon, become smaller so that the method discribed above could still be used, only the box could be smaller?

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu May 10, 2007 8:39 pm

For some reason, this story really really appeals to me. I like the thought of being completely grounded deep in enemy territory, having in a way your own town to defend, having to try to find your way back into friendly territory before you die.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I have spent alot of my time playing MOH spearhead, allied assult, and pacific assult, along with battlefield 1942. I have observed the gameplay in single player and multyplayer modes in all those game. This in turn has helped me map out game play, story line, and level construction. Even though I am still a ways from the end result, I am really enjoying the whole process of game development. I dont know if anyone noticed, but I changed the game name from, "Metal of bravery"Elite Airborne", to "Band of the Brave "Elite Airborne", It sounds alot better I think.

Thank you all for all your replys, keep em coming. :lol:
Also, is there a scaleing function in the RF level editor, so that I can make pawns, models, etc smaller or larger. Im finding many of the pawns I put in my levelsm including the "Virgil .act" are extremy un-perpotional to my wepon size.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:13 am

no you can only edit pawn size through the pawn.ini but you can edit the entire world scale.
Oh and PLEASE can we play the germans?! i mean seriously, I know that they were the "baddies" but we played baddies in the GTA games and Manhunt and Mafia and well need i go on? I really think its a poor show when the biggest WWII shooter CoD covers EVERY side and EVERY battle but NEVER do u wear a german helmet! I dont want to hurt jews or take part in anything the nazis did, but i would like to get to feel fighting from their perspective, just like it was interesting to fight as the british and russian and american forces... There THATS something that can be expanded on in the WWII genre NAZIs!
well in cod you can play as german in mp. but ya there used to be a german front mod, it would be soo cool to DEFEND omaha beach,
Herp derp.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 11, 2007 3:36 am

awesome, thanks. Also, my pawn is always laying down when I test my level. I have rotated the pawn to where its standing verticle in the editor, but when I test the level, its alwas laying down. Can this problem also be fixed in the pawn ini?

Just as a side note,In BattleField 1942, you can play as a german on Omaha beach. Its really an awesome level to play and quit yell done.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 am

the bf series u can play as ANY side. one of the reasons its so awesome :D . The pawn could be many things. its probably something with the Pawn.ini change the rotation
Herp derp.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 11, 2007 6:39 am

This is perhaps the best way I think to illustrate the coolness of the bf OMAHA level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiMn4EbRNU
Amazingly well done. By the way, thanks darkmaster and everyone, thanks for all your help.

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri May 11, 2007 11:19 pm

I like the new name better, but it kinda sounds like "Band of Brothers" now... but im just being fussy now. Anyway again good luck with this and btw that vid is really cool :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat May 12, 2007 12:58 am

lol, I typed that in last night when it was late, then looked at it again today is sounded like band of brothers to me as well. But im out of names, proboly cause I have over thought names to much.