Game Idea

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
PsiBrrr

Game Idea

Post by PsiBrrr » Thu May 31, 2007 2:06 am

This is my most realistical design for a game I've come up with:

The year is 2018, the war in Iraq has been over for almost a year, you're driving along a cliffside highway to a vacation spot you have been dreaming about for years. Your driving along when you see a bright flash and a cloud come at you fast. You black out. When you wake you hear the voices of people coming closer saying that "this one is alive". You get pull out of the car you were in and lift up onto a strecher, you black out again. You wake up again to see a a cloudy sky over a sunset city. You are surround by 2 people in raggy clothes, this is where the game begins, you ask what happened and why are you here, they explain that a nuke went off somewhere in a nearby city and that the whole country is in chaos.

It goes on on explain where you are and that a gangs have become dominate, gameplay wise, you defend your base from attacks and do objectives like exploring a nearby factory and starting a generator.

Well, what do you think, my plan is to get the base done before anything else
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other nice guy die for his.

Josh7356

Post by Josh7356 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:21 am

I'd like to know a little more info since this short paragraph left me wondering a bit on where I was and what I had to do. However, you seem to have a nice start going. I'd probably play it if it was done right. I would still like a bit more info before I start critizing the storyline. Nice to hear of a militaryish game that isn't a WWII shooter :D

PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr » Thu May 31, 2007 4:16 am

yeah, not WWII, once you have been familarized with the controls and your first battle you find out that your in a town of Annebelle (name could be reworked) that is located along a cliff of a mountain and a cliff into a large lake. Your postion when you start is a base of people who have come together from the neighboring house's to a small factory and 2 warehouse's, armed with weapons they made and found, they defend this area for some time. You find out later of the achivements and offences you leader has done. You find crazy people at a water treatment plant in the city trying to kill everyone else because they want to have all the water (mission), about half way through the game a rebel military comes in, and they have better everything than you, the opposing gang is distracting the rebel military so you get to expand and find a radio tower in which you get half to repair and call for help, you find something out here (spoiler). The rebelmilitary and the other gang are at a stand still and they start towards your base, you still have little weapons and what you do have is pawned off dead patrols of the rebel military. All seems lost when you start to lose ground, the tower, rail line, a huge source of water, the market, your pushed almost back to the warehouse's when (insert spoiler here).

There, almost all of it.
The point of war is not to die for your country but to make the other nice guy die for his.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 31, 2007 4:25 pm

dude, I gotta admit, this sounds like a really really well thought out game idea. My current game, "Band of the brave" is just another WWII shooter, but seeing how you have steped out of the box to create somthing with a really original idea is inspiring. Heck, even my name sounds cookie cutter. lol I may take the lose of all my models textures, etc to redesign this game, or simply start fresh on somthing original.
anyhoo, I do have one question. you said that the wepons are just what people could make and build thenselves. I asume that means mellee wepons. Would'nt that seem a bit unrealistic when the rebels military come. I mean by the sound of it, they seen a lot more advanced which proboly means, guns, and more powerfull wepons.

anyway, just a question.

cheers
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr » Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 pm

There would be melee weapons but not all melee, like there would be a crossbow, self made, and pistols and rifles, gun shop, molotov cocktails, also self made, also later when the rebel military comes machine guns, grenades, and rockets.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 pm

hmmm... can you say "Jericho".... seriously, i like the idea, but it sounds just like the TV show.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:33 pm

I was just thinking that, I could change it abit to seem less jericho, would take some time.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:25 am

actually, just my opinion, but i think a game that is a spin off from jerico would be awesome.

just me 2 cents

GD1

Post by GD1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 pm

yeah, i agree. too bad they canceled the show. I don't think there would be too much of a problem with the story the way that it is. give it a shot, see how it works out.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 pm

I am going to, I'm also getting a book on level design with UnrealEngine 2 demo, I was hoping to learn from doing stuff with that to be able to do it of RF, but UE looks kool and is compatible with max 7, have a demo for 2 engines XP

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Unreal Engine 2 costs approximately $100,000 per title. The same toolset from the demo comes in a more complete version with the Unreal Tournament 2004 game. Unreal Engine 3 is up near $250,000 per title (down from $500,000).

PsiBrrr

Post by PsiBrrr » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Yeah, I knew that Unreal engines were that expensive, anyway, I was going to learn stuff from the book and use the demo of UE 2 to help me, if I do get a good enough level out of what I learned, I will get the plugin for 3DS max and export the saved map to RF and have a free engine running the demo.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:53 pm

PsiBrrr wrote:Yeah, I knew that Unreal engines were that expensive, anyway, I was going to learn stuff from the book and use the demo of UE 2 to help me, if I do get a good enough level out of what I learned, I will get the plugin for 3DS max and export the saved map to RF and have a free engine running the demo.
wow, hmm, not to rain on anyones parade, but is does sound like your trying yo eat an elephant in 1 bite :roll: I dont know how much experiance you have with game dev but why not try building a simple map in RF, and making a game demo of this game that this thread is about. Then, if you want to, you can try doing some stuff with UE 2. I guesse I have learned from expericance to take things slow and start with the simple stuff, then move on up as i go instead of jumping to the most expensive, and most complicated program then only be able to say, what the heck do i do now?

This is not to discourage you, justs a bit of advice that may help.

cheers and good luck with your game!