FPS: What do you like in this genera?

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Agentarrow

I hope people actually READ this post.

Post by Agentarrow » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 am

SithMaster wrote:and killzone was a good game. it should be on my list as well since i love the art and weapon designs. I didnt care for the health system or the helghast sniper rifle but the enemies audio cues and use of moving through cover was excellant.

I hated the health system! (for those of you who don't know, It was a small bar that went down with every hit and then slowly regenerated. You could take a hit from a rocket launcher, then hide in a trench and be back to full health and run in and shoot everything, get hit, go back in the trench and then go back into battle, as long as you can find cover, you're invinceable. I hate games where if you die, you fall over, lose some points, or coins or whatever and then immediately respawn in the same spot. That's like playing god since if you die you really don't die. I love games that have puzzles or something that makes a challenge aside from the fighting. I like some games where, you'll go to an area, it'll be beautiful and new, and then return halfway through the game only to see it battlescarred and destroyed. If I'm flying a jet, My favorite control scheme is like in "Star Fox Command" the scheme is where you aim your ship with the mouse or touchpad and then use buttons to roll, loop, and fire. I like games to show inside the cockpit, however I like the idea of being able to move the camera so you can see next to you, and above you. I don't like seeing behind you since, first I don't use it all that much, and second, Real fighters don't have rear-view mirrors.

I like games like the Metroid Prime series, where you can do a lock-on, however I don't like being able to always lock. I like MP3 because enemies can shake your lock and some enemies cannot be locked on to at all. Networked and online functions are good, however a really good game doesn't need it. I like to think of networking in an FPS a way to make up for an un-fixable lacking in the single player or just a means to practice for shooting or killing smarter enemies.

I agree about the grenades. They should be a seperate button. (let's use a PS2 controller for this evample) I would rather have square be shoot and triangle be grenade rather than Press circle to swithc weapons until i Have a grenade and then throw it and then switch back to a gun. Having too many weapons is bad. Having five very different weapons is better than having twenty very simmilar weapons.

There shouldn't be any all powerful vehicles like tanks that you can drive alone. Also, I like the idea of being able to choose a style of vehicle weapons. Like you decide what your style is and then choose the same vehicle, but mountable with multiple different weapons, like a hellicopter that can have bombs, rockets, or machine guns. That way it suits the player. Someone who doesn't have great accuracy can use the machine guns because they don't need to wait to be reloaded. However someone who would rather cause massive damage. and aims well might take a rocket Launcher. And someone who would rather do a massive explosive flyby can take the bombs. A scope I think is pointless in most situations since the Enemies are usually close enough to see them and shoot them. You wouldn't use a scope on a guy ten feet away unless you wanted to see the life leave his eyes. Scopes are only for the few instances that you would snipe someone. That reminds me of the Killzone sniper rifle, where it's hard to aim and it returns to the middle of the screen if you remove your finger from the joystick. Well, that's it then.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:54 pm

SithMaster wrote:But isnt bf2 just capture this point capture that point
yes

but its still fun sp and coop
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:54 am

Thank you very much for your input! I will be reading all of your opinions many times over to help develop the gameplay of my game.

Ok, I have three questions to ask now.

How much of a HUD do you like to have in FPS games?

How much logic do you like to tie together elements from the game?
For example, the floating platforms in Metroid Prime's Phendrana Drifts are floating because of jets underneath them. But why are the jets there to begin with? Its never explained, but does that affect how you perceive the game? Personally, I don't mind a few unexplained things here or there. This goes for any feature in a game so long as it adds something unique that does not negatively affect the gameplay.
[image from ign.com]
It may be hard to see, but that platform is indeed floating!

What do you think of game music? Should FPS games have in game music pieces? or just sound effects?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 am

i dont like too much hud. it can look cool but clutters the screen.

logic? alot. my games are heavily influenced by other games.

i dont really care if theres unexplained things if they dont interfere with the gameplay
Herp derp.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 am

MakerOfGames wrote: ?
For example, the floating platforms in Metroid Prime's Phendrana Drifts are floating because of jets underneath them. But why are the jets there to begin with? Its never explained, but does that affect how you perceive the game?
Actually, the jets are there so that the chozos could get around easier when they were still alive. However, this is really considered unexplained since there isn't a part in the game where it actually says it, but I believe that's what was in the demo if you scanned the platforms. Don't take my word on it, but I'm pretty sure.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...