favourite fps

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
scott

favourite fps

Post by scott » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 pm

this is a bit similar to MoG's thread, im doing a bit of research for my own game, this would probably be useful for anyone else aswel.

what is your favourite fps and within that game, what is your favourite mission, what is it and why is it your favourite.

i would post an example but i cant think of mine at the moment.
*GD*

Agentarrow

My favorite fps?

Post by Agentarrow » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 pm

I'm not sure if this one counts, but Metroid Prime 3 Demo Disk. I really like the flagship mission. In case you don't know what that is, It starts out that you are on a flagship for the Galactic federation, and when you go to the bridge, you find out about an attack by the space pirates, so you're on the flagship, fighting off enemies that burst into the ship from everywhere, and you need to fight your way to your ship. Outside every window looks like the beginning of Star Wars III, Flagships and battleships everywhere firing at each other, fighters exploding, hits blasting everywhere, in other words, utter chaos. I like it because of all the action and interactivity. Also I like the battles. Tons of battles, everywhere, and thinking outside the box, like when you get accidentally put into a vacuum chamber and dropped into space, so you have to basically do monkey bars on the bottom of the ship to get to an entrance airlock.

My other favorite FPS is Metroid Prime. This one does count for sure. My favorite part of this game is when you have to go to the Phazon mines. They are just full of enemies, and platforming, and all kinds of other things. You really have to know your environment well to succeed, because if you don't use it to your advantage, it will seriously hinder you and spell certain doom to all. It's challenging beyond the enemies, even strafing is dangerous, you're constantly jumping, rolling, and dodging to avoid fire, and just when you think it's over, there's the Omega Pirate. A huge behemoth that will test all your battle skills and keep you on your toes to keep dodging attacks, and keeping the environment to your advantage, It's incredibly hard, but incredibly fun, and every time you think he's dead, there's something else you have to do. It's like having a huge maze with few rewards, then a huge boss fight that grants the reward of all rewards. It leaves only two bosses until the very end. And gives you suit that not only looks the coolest, it grants the power to be impervious to phazon.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 pm

I love Seriuos Sam 2. Especially when playing coop through LAN
Lithuanians for Georgia!

scott

Post by scott » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 pm

how come, what made it better than other games, why serious sam 2 and not 1?

what did you have to do in coop that was so cool?
*GD*

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:57 pm

I've played 1, but I didn't have LAN back then so killing-everything became an routine so I stopped playing. But SS2 is better because it has vehicles, better graphics, nice sound. And coop ir very much fun because I could pass all campaing with my bro. Going alone and seeing no allies is one thing, but doing it with a ally is way more fun. "Dude I just saved your ass from that giant bee" "Well, I don't think that I'll be able to save you from that bull behind you"
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

I have to admit that I really enjoyed Serious Sam 1. The game itself is pretty stupid and not worth playing alone. However, the multiplayer coop mode makes the game extremely fun in LAN. Nothing is more fun than playing the the campaign in any game with a friend. Too bad these kinds of games are rare. Well yeah, many games have coop mods like Sven Co-op, but usually they're just incomplete and buggy.

Anyway, my favourite FPS must be Half-Life. It was simply mindblowing when it was released, and I think it's still a great game. If a game like that was released now it would be nothing, but back then it was something awesome. The graphics were stunning and the overall feel in the game was just fantastic. I just love every part of it.

Another FPS I've enjoyed very much is Deus Ex. The idea of adding RPG elements to a shooter is great. That combined with the non-linear levels make it a very entertaining game.
Pain is only psychological.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:22 pm

thanks guys, i was looking for a bit more information on missions/levels to see what made these games so good, like for example, the one i have used many of times, granted not an fps but still provs my point, ff7, graphics of the characters was bad and monsters too, but the game was exelent because of the stroy, it involved people throughout and was a strong point to the game all the way through (it was the game, without it ff7 would be boring)
so any more information on the leves would be nice if you could.
*GD*

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Half-Life. First FPS I played, first game that made me feel like "Yes, this is a real situation, yes, you might very well die, but you have little choice, so just make for the surface and hope for the best..."

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:28 pm

AndyCR wrote:Half-Life. First FPS I played, first game that made me feel like "Yes, this is a real situation, yes, you might very well die, but you have little choice, so just make for the surface and hope for the best..."
That's one thing that makes the game so great. The story is very simple: Get out alive. There are no big twists in the plot, the player has one goal and (s)he knows all the time what to do and where to go. That's what I think makes it so interesting. Most of the time there is no one giving objectives and stuff, nobody telling that you'll need to switch the electricity on before an elevator works, but it's obvious that you have to get the elevator working in order to get out. I think it makes the game more rewarding when you figure out something on your own rather than follow some guy's instructions.
Pain is only psychological.

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:09 am

Yeah half-life was genius like that :) but they certainly havnt slipped with their latest titles even though story has become far more of a driving force in the game, they still seem to have kept that original flow to the whole experience.

Well MY favourite FPS would have to be Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, its hard to say what was my favourite mission, but I'd have to say it was the Underground part where you must deactivate the "Brain Scortcher"

You start off entering an old underground bunker through a lab, the level is really dark and tunnely, but there is alot of variation and it isnt just a linear set of corridors, it is an actual underground working enviroment, with lots of equipment and rooms that are completely irrelevent from your mission but make you feel like your in a real place. It is terrifying and really demanding giving you little ammo and supplys but making you fight off some seriously creepy mutants. Anyway the level kinda concludes with you entering a large underground cavernous room where you must navigate spiriling and branching walkways to get to the pannels to deactivate the thing, but because of its harsh affects, you have a limited time to do this before the defenses given to you by this scientist guy ware out and you are scortched. So its an unnerving experince, which culminates in you passingout (very affectively with you stumbiling and falling down in first person) and leading to a cutscene... [You then escape through a sewer]

Anyway hope this helps with ideas. :)

Oh and @ Juutis, I couldnt agree more about halflife, I played Blue Shift for the 2nd time the other day, I started at about 2 in the morning, cause i was bord stiff and It was actually still really scary, fuzy textures and all. Great game kept me going with its puzzles and beautiful satire. I kept thinking, this could be any triple A FPS im playing right now, just not for the lack of extra shinyness.[/quote]

Scorch

Post by Scorch » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:14 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :o
Just another day in the world of random!

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:31 am

Scorch wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :o
????
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:13 am

I can't believe I skipped over this thread before, I am an FPS fan would love to help out with my opinion...

Favorite FPS.... I would have to say... is Metroid Prime.
Technically it is a First Person Adventure game but it was such an amazing game. The sense of realism(Yes, Space Pirates are real! :P ) was one of the many reasons I played through it multiple times. The graphics were breathtaking and the platforming was equally well done. The little details of the environments drew me into the world, and I never got tired of shooting the birds flying high in the sky of Chozo Ruins to watch them explode into a fury of feathers.

The reward system was one thing I really liked. I enjoyed going through the game and getting all the different power ups. Searching for the sound of power ups hidden in the environment was great fun.

The enemies and boss battles were unforgettable. Another thing I loved was how almost everything was able to be scanned into the log book. There was actually a hefty amount of story that you could only get if you scanned the environment.

I guess that's really gameplay that I spoke of and not level design as you wished but thats what first came to mind.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:33 am

I must say mine would be the ol WWII FPS's for computer,computer,and Xbox. (COD 1/2, and some of the older FPS's for computer, like "hidden and dangerouse". It has older graphics but still a great game 8) . I know, no originality... :lol:
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:37 am

WHOO!
YEAH! someone on my side instead of Master chief's. btw, you'd like my desktop.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...