Destron's Game Thread

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Destron

Destron's Game Thread

Post by Destron »

Alright, I'm working on a game here, of course. Why else would I be here, right? Right. ;)

I'm currently roughing out the idea.
Here's what I have so far.

Main Points:
- Singleplayer. I'm getting tired of multiplayer-only games. Sorry. :oops:
- It's a first person shooter, so guns are involved (and possible melee weapons as well). :P
- I want a large gameplay area. What I'm trying to do is start with a small-ish map, and expand outwards until I have a huge area while keeping the same gameplay and story.
- Story-based gameplay. I want to try to keep this from the generic "shoot everything that moves" game design ethic. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, NPC interaction and such isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. With some luck I'm hoping to pull it off.

Story:
I'm still not sure about this yet. I've been everywhere on the map with this one. More details later.

Weapons:

Machine Pistol
Concept--

Compressor Rifle - loads like a shotgun and pumps like one, but shoots high-powered compressed uranium slugs. I have a couple concept pieces for it but I haven't scanned them yet. more on that later :!:

Turret Gun -
Not sure if I will ever implement this in the final game, but I'm working on a model for it.

That's all for now, will have more later... ;)
darksmaster923

Re: Destron's Game Thread

Post by darksmaster923 »

Destron wrote: Main Points:
- Singleplayer. I'm getting tired of multiplayer-only games. Sorry. :oops:
but rf is only capable of singleplayer games
Destron wrote: isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
you have a knife in the drawer? for self defense rite?
Destron wrote: I'm still not sure about this yet. I've been everywhere on the map with this one. More details later.
from the guns its sci fi rite?
Destron wrote:Weapons:

Machine Pistol
Concept--

Compressor Rifle - loads like a shotgun and pumps like one, but shoots high-powered compressed uranium slugs. I have a couple concept pieces for it but I haven't scanned them yet. more on that later :!:

Turret Gun -
Not sure if I will ever implement this in the final game, but I'm working on a model for it.
nice guns. the turret gun looks high poly though
Herp derp.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Yes, it's gonna be sci-fi, although it might be part of altered time path rather than just in the future. 8)

More on the compressor rifle.

The compressor rifle looks, loads, and pumps like a shotgun, but instead of pellet shells, it fires high-velocity, insanely accurate compressed uranium bullets.

This is one of the "elite" weapons that shows up later in the game.
If I plan on adding currency and payment in the gameworld, this will cost you a pretty penny.
When I originally designed this weapon, I had a storyline planned out where you fight mutant soldiers, and this would be the choice weapon of the mutant commanders and higher ranking officers. The idea for that story got scrapped, but the weapon design remains.
Destron

Post by Destron »

New version of the turret.

792 Polygons. I'm not sure how much memory that's going to take in real-time, so I'll get a feel for it and probably make lower-poly versions in the future.
scott

Post by scott »

its no the memory, its the caulcualtion of light hitting each polygon, in memory terms its a few kb but the game has to calculate the filed of depth and work the lighting out for wach of the 30 frames per second
*GD*
Destron

Post by Destron »

Eh, what a fool I am. You are correct.

Anyway, here's my list of weapons so far.

(1) Pistol - The generic pistol weapon found in most FPSs. 9mm, semi-automatic. ;)
(2) Phase Blade - I'm not sure what it's going to look like yet, but I wanted some kind of Sci-fi melee weapon. The phase blade is a medium-length sword with a razor-sharp edge made out of a titanium-steel alloy.
(3) Machine Pistol - fully-automatic handgun with a 25-bullet clip capacity. I like the look of the MP5K, but I'm not how much I want it to look like that.
(4) Compressor Rifle - as mentioned above, a shotgun-like weapon that loads high-powered compressed uranium bullets.
(5) Laser Auto-rifle - an automatic laser weapon that leaves a particle-trail after fired.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

the thing that always bothers me is that the pistol is 9mm(which is a supposedly large round) doesnt do much damage. nice job for 792 polys on the turret. you can decrease it thou.
Herp derp.
Destron

Post by Destron »

I understand what you mean, but it's more of a design thing. The 9mm pistol is most of the time one of the first weapons that appears in the game. If it's too powerful the game is too easy. :P

Yes, 792 polys isn't bad... but I just found out that I can't export it out of Bryce. What a waste of time, eh? :?
I guess I'll just stick to gmax or wings3d.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Alright, I got to working on the 9mm in Wings3D. It's not much so far, but it's further than I've gotten before. :?

I think I suck at modeling, don't you? :P

This is going to be in the in-game "power-up" model, not the one you see on the HUD. When I get to the HUD model I'll enlarge this one, add a hand, some firing and reloading animations, etc.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Second version...

Juutis

Post by Juutis »

I like your approach to this project. You've singled out what kind of gameplay you want to have in this game instead of telling the story. I personally prefer gameplay to graphics and story in a shooter, so I think this way is better: Come up with some gameplay ideas and build the story around that. Another similar way is to come up with places and enemies, like 'Where would it be cool to shoot around?' and 'What would I like to shoot?' and then blend them to the story.

The turret gun looks sweet! It's not too high-poly either. I also like the weapon concepts.
Can't wait to hear more. :)

darksmaster923 wrote:the thing that always bothers me is that the pistol is 9mm(which is a supposedly large round)
Well yes, compared to a, say, 7.62mm round which is used pretty much in assault rifles, the 9mm is larger in diameter. However, depending on the round types, the 7.62 is a bit heavier and a lot faster. And after all, the power of the projectile depends on its velocity and mass, so the 7.62 is far more powerful than the 9mm thanks to its speed.

I agree that in some games pistols are pretty useless and in the end you can't even kill one enemy with them. I think they shouldn't be as accurate or powerful as an assault rifle, but they should still do enough damage to kill an enemy. So that you can actually use the pistol if you run out of ammo in other weapons.
Pain is only psychological.
Destron

Post by Destron »

I like your approach to this project. You've singled out what kind of gameplay you want to have in this game instead of telling the story. I personally prefer gameplay to graphics and story in a shooter, so I think this way is better: Come up with some gameplay ideas and build the story around that. Another similar way is to come up with places and enemies, like 'Where would it be cool to shoot around?' and 'What would I like to shoot?' and then blend them to the story.
Thanks for your input. If I were working on a 'real' game, I would probably work with the story first and plan out NPC's an enemies, maps, encounters, all that. But since I'm just learning the tools and creating my first game, it's not going to be anything epic.
I've still got a lot to learn. I'm pretty good at texturing and sound design, but modeling, animation, and scripting/programming are my weak spots. So I've got a few kinks to work out.

In most games, pistols are the second weapon the player gets, very soon after recieving a melee weapon for close-combat. I've noticed that in most games, the pistol is only useful at the beginning, when the player is fighting low-power enemies. It falls to more powerful weapons such as the traditional assault rifle or shotgun, which is more suited for battling more powerful baddies.

-----

3rd flat shaded model

I think it's coming along. It's not going to win a beauty contest or anything, but I think it's pretty good. :P
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

you might want to add gun sights becuz even if ur game doesnt use them it feels more like you have a real gun. plus the end of the gun is a barrel, just sticking out.

thanks for the lecture juutis
Herp derp.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Yep. I'm planning on adding some ironsights, as well as fix the barrel problem. One idea I had was to expand the rectangular prism on the top so it covers the barrel part and make it longer so there's not as much cylinder.
Destron

Post by Destron »

OK, I've sort of fixed the cylindrical-style problem and worked on keeping the top more of a boxy shape.