Prehistoria: Caveman games are cool!! ooga booga!!!

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
creeper

Prehistoria: Caveman games are cool!! ooga booga!!!

Post by creeper »

When I download RF this weekend (along with any 3d modeling software and other progs that I may need) I will probebly spend several months if not a whole year just learning and following tutorials and finding the limits of the engine that will dictate my game design.

But,.. I've already got some ideas for small games to start on as my first projects. I will only be able to even make these after Ive learned to model, animate, and texture. I think it would be a waste to try to make a game imitating what is available at retail,.. instead I thought it would be fun to make some weird wacky games.

------- "Prehistoria" or "Battlecave: 100,000,042 BC"- You are a caveman fighting off dinosaurs, apes, and hunting for food and women. You start off with rocks and a club,.. but you can eventually make spears and traps. I though it would be cool if you could even catch a sabre-tooth tiger and ride it around. Don't know if RF supports the player getting on/off a vehicle, so that feature is a "what-if". The graphics style would be exagerrated and cartoony. That's all the detail I'll even bother going into since it will be a while before I can even start.

Well I've got plenty more ideas I'd love to make a game of but untill I know what RF is capable of it seems like I'd just be setting myself up for dissapointment. FRom other posts I've read, vehicle support is kind of sketchy. Especially getting in and out of vehicles.

EDIT--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would probebly have to model each weapon with an arm attached to it for 1st person view.(duh) The rock is a projectile weapon that you can see going through the air at an arc. The rock would have to shatter when it hits any surface or enemy. The only problem I see is how I would make the rock smoothly leave the hand in the throw animation. I think that the actual rock projectile would have to be a separate thing.
This would be easier if If there was a working grenade weapon with a hand throwing it. I could just mimic that and make appropriate changes. (anyone know of a working hand-throwing-grenade weapon in RF?)
Last edited by creeper on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scott

Post by scott »

i suppose entering and eciting veichles could use a modifide weapon slot? im sure with a little bit of scipt you can get the "weapon" to modify the players movment abilities, theres discution of being able to use weapon slots for aceesories like hats, so if it can be used to attatch stuff to the player it can attatch the player to a beast/car...
*GD*
Juutis

Post by Juutis »

First of all, welcome to the forums! I hope you have a good time with RF and the forums. :)

I like the caveman idea. It's not too ambitious, and I think it's well suited to learning RF. Though even a simple concept like that can start becoming bigger and bigger to the point where it's impossible to do it alone. My advice is to keep it simple learn the scripting language as soon as possible. Scripting allows you to customize the gameplay greatly, and even catching the sabre-tooth and riding it wouldn't be too hard to make. Also, then you can write your own enemy AI instead of using the scripts that come with RF.

In case you haven't already downloaded the 'Making 3D Games with RF' e-book, you should get it. It's free and introduces you to RF pretty well. You can download it here:
http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... umentation
Pain is only psychological.
creeper

Post by creeper »

Juutis wrote: My advice is to keep it simple learn the scripting language as soon as possible. Also, then you can write your own enemy AI instead of using the scripts that come with RF.
I'm starting to scare the crap out of myself with all the stuff I'll have to learn. The scripting seems like it will be easier than the modelling , animating, and texturing.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

i personally think its the other way around, but thats probably because i havent really learnt to script yet.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 »

i think modeling is much easier but then again its my passion..........
scripting is soooooooooooooooooooo easy. you can get teh hang of it fast.
Herp derp.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

hi, I just realized I never welcomed you to the forums
Welcome to the forums

anyway, it sounds like a lot of fun, however, i'm more of the sci-fi type myself, this sounds like a game I may play.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...
Destron

Post by Destron »

Hey creeper - welcome to the forums...

If you're working on cartoony/exaggerated stuff, you may want to check out this little feature by the guys at VALVe software on their upcoming game, Team Fortress 2. Although they talk about stuff that you probably can't do within RF, it's still interesting to watch, IMO.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23520.html

Also, spyrewolf came up with an idea for cell/toon shading.

http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... ll+shading
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

possobly also you can have toon shading from blenders toon shading, but i dont know if that would work.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
darksmaster923

Re: Prehistoria: Caveman games are cool!! ooga booga!!!

Post by darksmaster923 »

creeper wrote: I would probebly have to model each weapon with an arm attached to it for 1st person view.(duh) The rock is a projectile weapon that you can see going through the air at an arc. The rock would have to shatter when it hits any surface or enemy. The only problem I see is how I would make the rock smoothly leave the hand in the throw animation. I think that the actual rock projectile would have to be a separate thing.
This would be easier if If there was a working grenade weapon with a hand throwing it. I could just mimic that and make appropriate changes. (anyone know of a working hand-throwing-grenade weapon in RF?)
i made a grenade weapon in rf but took it out cuz of crappy expolsions, but the source is in my demo.
u can make ur arms holding a rock as a model.
add it as a projectile weap
and make the projectile go slow and set grav on it
Herp derp.
scott

Post by scott »

by the way i love the idea, sounds really fun, not something i would go out and buy but as a free game i would defenetly play it (i would say cheap game but i have never spent money on a cheap game online)
*GD*
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

hey, uh. Also, If you want to have bright, cartoony textures, I just use paint, then put them through the image converter with the proper output size, and finally blend into a Targa to be added to my proper TXL file.
If you have a computer drawing tablet, Like a Wacom Or an ARTZ II, you can draw them in really cartoony fashon to do the same thing.
AgentArrow Home
creeper

Post by creeper »

scott wrote:by the way i love the idea, sounds really fun, not something i would go out and buy but as a free game i would defenetly play it (i would say cheap game but i have never spent money on a cheap game online)

I'm making games for the fun of it,.. and wouldn't dare ask anyone to pay money for anything I make.
Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow »

well, we're all playing our part. You may not charge for your games, but when the Terra Trooper demo is finished, I will charge five US dollars to anyone outside the RF community for the download. Hopefully ths will get me some startup money for My team. We have been looking for mostly free or cheap programs.
AgentArrow Home
scott

Post by scott »

to be honest thats one of the worst things you can do, the entire point of the demo is for everyone to be able to try it with no eceptions (unles they dont have a system to run the demo on) they are made to ecourdg people to buy the full game and also spread your game around the world quickly and easily, it will get more of a reputation with a free "demo" than a paying demo, dont release a demo until very late in your games development or you will get the "have you seen the new terra trooper game" "no but i played the demo last year, had forgoten about it" release the demo as near to the release of the game as possible if you plan to sell you will get alot more interest in the final game that way, and the demo dont have to be the beggining level, could be the middle level wich is alright, but at the end have a video of game play with all the cool features in.
when was the last time you payed money for a demo?

sorry to hi-jack your thread creeper
*GD*