My Game:The Talisman

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
bernie
RF Moderator

My Game:The Talisman

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:49 pm

1st 2 levels of my game Talisman can be downloaded here: http://hosted.filefront.com/bernieRF/
be warned 143mb zip file. 1st 2 levels playable. When you arrive at lev 3 all you get is a placeholder with a blacksmith's shop and a couple of actors that do nothing yet. Much more modeling to do to get this level playing. I won't give away the story but I think it's self explanatory.
Anyway enjoy it, it's an early xmas present for RF users. Gives you a few things to kill.
Don't expect too much, it's my first real attempt at a game.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:03 pm

I'm going to download it now. But why did you make .zip file? .rar is better

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Dunno, first one that came to mind I suppose. I use either sometimes 7zip also.

scott

Post by scott » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:18 pm

well i downloaded it, i like the trees they look good, nice scripting, however i couldnt find my way to the second level and died cos i had that skull thingy, also a few problems, stamina never went down as i ran, my pc wouldnt exept the openGL driver setting so ran it in DX driver and the menu flickerd and couldnt see much there, i would love to see the next level if u tell me how u get there.
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 pm

First of all, great job! It's always a pleasure to test a new RF demo game. What I liked most in the game was the detail in the levels. Especially in the first one. The pictures on the wall of the pub, the candles in the church, the spider webs and the TREES! Man, the trees look awesome! The cave level was a bit dull, though. I think adding some lights and using different textures would spice it up greatly. I liked the spirits that acted as health packs. Something different than the usual health potions and healing scrolls.

Then some negative things. Sometimes I couldn't hit the spiders (they are spiders, right?) very well. That's probably RF's fault though. The stamina recharged a little too slowly. I had to wait several minutes, twice, to be able to kill the next enemy. Oh, and the empty grassy area in the first level should have something. Like more trees. Right now there is pretty much empty space.

All in all, excellent work. I enjoyed it. :)
When you arrive at lev 3 all you get is a placeholder with a blacksmith's shop and a couple of actors that do nothing yet
I killed the boss in the cave and got the rod, and returned to the priest but I have no clue what to do then... Was that the demo or is there more to do?

i couldnt find my way to the second level and died cos i had that skull thingy
Go see the priest in the church when you have the skull.
my pc wouldnt exept the openGL driver setting so ran it in DX driver and the menu flickerd and couldnt see much there
The menu flickered for me too. Then I chose the faster D3D driver in the Video Setup and unticked everything but 'Extra Textures' and 'ASync' in the advanced options.
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:14 pm

The whole thing is an experiment for me to see just what I might be able to achieve. The Priest will tell you what to do to get to level 3, but it's only a placeholder at the moment. You just arrive in an empty level except for a few seps that I have modelled (Blacksmiths shop, Banshee and a Leprechaun) I'm working on a fire breathing dragon at the moment. The Idea of the game is to get tasks from the priests and the number of levels should be unlimited. The open grassy area is for that purpose ie. to create portals into another world so to speak. I've only just got broadband this week so I have been unable to upload anything to show people until now.
The spiders have been proving a problem. I used the basic perfect ai script and modified it to be a flying model, the problem seems to be in the facing alignment routine but I just cant seem to sort it out. However if you back off and strike again you can kill 'em easy enough. There is also a slight problem at the end shooting the vampire. if you shoot him while he is transforming into the bat he doesn't die. You have to get him before he transforms or wait until he has transformed, but if you wait too long the bat is very hard to kill once he has shrunk to bat size and of course you only get the one shot.
You can replenish stamina by eating the mushroom. It never gives me any problem you just have to retrace your steps a couple of times. I did think of growing a few more but I thought it would make it too easy.
Loads more to come I hope. Perhaps a few Ideas from the community and make it a community game? I thought with this sort of setup you can have all sorts of levels you don't have to be stuck on one theme, just keep going back to the priest for another task.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:58 am

Oi bernie! I just saw this thread. I am at work, but I'll download it when I get home in the morning. I can't WAIT to see the bat transformation!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:02 am

I got the sword and I'm wandering around looking for someone to whack with it. . . .

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 am

Did you take notice of what the paiest said ? Enter the Dolmen and you'll find things to whack.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:28 am

bernie wrote:Did you take notice of what the paiest said ? Enter the Dolmen and you'll find things to whack.
I walked up to it, but nothing happened. I'll walk up to it again!!! I've got this terrific sword, and I'm just dying to hack someone!! I really like the look and feel of things so far. Thanks, bernie.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 am

Yes, the entrance is a bit low isn't it. You could do with being a bit smaller I suppose :lol:

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 am

bernie wrote:Yes, the entrance is a bit low isn't it. You could do with being a bit smaller I suppose :lol:
Ah. . .the old crouch ploy, eh? : - ) I'll head back there again.

Hey, congrats on finally getting off the dial-up!!!

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:26 pm

steven8 wrote:
bernie wrote:Did you take notice of what the paiest said ? Enter the Dolmen and you'll find things to whack.
I walked up to it, but nothing happened. I'll walk up to it again!!! I've got this terrific sword, and I'm just dying to hack someone!! I really like the look and feel of things so far. Thanks, bernie.
:o
violent steven!!
Herp derp.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:08 pm

darksmaster923 wrote: :o
violent steven!!
Ordinarily I'm a totally non-violent guy, but turn me into a blond Amazon in fishnet stockings, put a sword in my hand, and I become a killing machine! Don't know why. . .just happens. :lol:

Now, I did get to the second level, but I just can't keep my sword swinging enough to stay alive. My son Paul has gotten further than me, so I had him save his game. 8)

Zidane

Re: My Game:The Talisman

Post by Zidane » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:35 pm

Downloading