Interesting idea changes a lot of the game dynamics...

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
ZenBudha

Interesting idea changes a lot of the game dynamics...

Post by ZenBudha » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:52 am

Well my nephew's parents rented him Terminator 3 for the XBox. It's nothing special game wise. Just a mediocre movie game FPS.

However it does do one thing different than all other FPS. It has a limited number of continues, and no saves. Other than level start saves. So if you reach level 8 and have no continues left, and die. Even if you reload you are still on level 8 with no continues left.

There are extra continue tokens hidden about some levels. But basically it makes it so one cannot simply die their way through the game. Like in Brute Force for the XBox. Although it didn't limit continues you could tell how good a person did by how much money they had at the end.
For example my nephew managed to play his way through the whole game (he's 8 years old) but the end result was like $ -486,000.
So yeah he beat the game basically by dying his way through every level.

Yet on a game with limited continues one cannot simply die their way through. Which while it may seem like more of an annoyance than anything I think it adds a great deal more play time to the game.

For example how long does it take to die your way through 20 levels. Then once you've seen the end of the game your done. Unless it was just a killer awesome game or your really bored. I mean seriously I can count the number of FPS games I've beated and then played through a second time on my crotch. lol.
Yet this way the player must actually figure the game out, and get better to ever finish the game. Which will likely take about twice as long as them dying their way through it if they're a decent FPS player.

I mean lets look at the facts. Stress in gameplay improves gameplay quality. When your hands are sweating, and numb. Your eyes get to wiggling in their sockets your brain is running 100mph. Thats a rush whether it's a game or a car wreck it's the same effect. Although games hurt less.

So if there is no real penalty for dying except maybe having to restart the level or at the last checkpoint then there is no stress.

Anyway I'm not saying either way has it's perks I just found it refreshing.