Conversations without voice actors?

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Sph!nx

Conversations without voice actors?

Post by Sph!nx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 pm

I was wondering how you would approach conversations for a game since I assume a lot of amateur game designers hit a brick wall when trying to find suitable voice actors.

Of course a text message (possible with a portrait of the one who's speaking) would be needed but complete absence of sound would still make it feel a bit unfinished.

Wierd, muffled, deformed voices would work great on a cartoon game but I can't figure something out for a more realistic design. Yeah, a simple beep or radio click for some kind of communication through a radio or other device would be sufficient but would not really work for face to face conversations.

Any thoughts?
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

jonas

Re: Conversations without voice actors?

Post by jonas » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:21 pm

Voice Changing software: changes the pitch and you can completly control how your voice sounds. Its rather cool to play around with :D
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:46 am

good, but Out of my question, I'll google a free version :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:12 am

You could take the Zelda aproach. Like where you just hear a character say a simple greeting like "Hey" and then the rest is text. This way, the player knows what the voice sounds like but you only have to get one word to sound right instead of a whole dialouge.

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:33 pm

jonas wrote:Voice Changing software: changes the pitch and you can completly control how your voice sounds. Its rather cool to play around with :D
Excellent, will take a look into that!
SV2.0 wrote:You could take the Zelda aproach. Like where you just hear a character say a simple greeting like "Hey" and then the rest is text. This way, the player knows what the voice sounds like but you only have to get one word to sound right instead of a whole dialouge.
That's a nice approach. That would work!
Regards Sph!nx

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 am

I would agree, take notes from the Zelda and Metroid Prime Series. They have very minimal voice acting and most of the story is delivered through text. Also, go back and play some old N64 or playstation games if you are finding it too hard to create conversations without voice. The games on those systems are known for having very little voice acting for conversations.

Edit: There are advantages to avoiding voice acting as it lets the gamer have the freedom to assign voices to the characters in their heads. Not only that but it also can create generic enemies and Non-Playable Characters that you can use the same model for again and again without the worry of gamers thinking they were supposed to be another character. It makes them less distinct and can give focus to not who the characters are and how they develop but to what the player is doing and how the events around them are unfolding. This is because the player can then think less about constructing the identity of the characters from what you give them and more about the reason as to what their character has to do because they quickly define an identity for the character in their head. Basically it shifts the focus from the character being something to watch develop and more to watching the events around them develop.

Edit Edit: I forgot to mention that by leaving out voices for the main character allows the player to bond more personally with them as they do not feel distanced by the presence of a voice. Believe it or not, but voice acting for main characters eliminates personal ties with the player just by defining what they are to sound like. A person feels more in touch with characters that they have to construct an identity for.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:37 am

Those are some excillent observations. Sph!nx, listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks, MakerOfGames. The whole theorie you described fits the discription of half-life(1) very well. Although they used voices more often, the effect was the same.
Regards Sph!nx

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah, that is a prime example of how no voice acting for the main character can create a deeper tie with the player by letting them feel more like they are the character.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:25 am

Except Metroid Prime 3 has full voice acting for everyone but samus :P
AgentArrow Home

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 am

that was exactly the point he was trying to make... :roll:

Very Nice MakerOfGames! I can tell you've been around video games a long time, and you've made many observations. Love reading your stuff! :D
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:58 am

:) yeah, you do write interesting to read stuff... :mrgreen:
AgentArrow Home

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Edit Edit: I forgot to mention that by leaving out voices for the main character allows the player to bond more personally with them as they do not feel distanced by the presence of a voice. Believe it or not, but voice acting for main characters eliminates personal ties with the player just by defining what they are to sound like. A person feels more in touch with characters that they have to construct an identity for.
NeverWinter Nights does this really well. You don't hear your character at all (except for some generic battle cry). It just gives you a list of responses in text and the NPC's respond with voice.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:04 am

I never played NeverWinter nights...
AgentArrow Home

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 am

jonas wrote: Very Nice MakerOfGames! I can tell you've been around video games a long time, and you've made many observations. Love reading your stuff! :D
Agentarrow wrote: :) yeah, you do write interesting to read stuff... :mrgreen:

Thank you very much :D. I have been independently studying game design since I was a freshman in high school(now I am a freshman in college) and have been an avid game player since I was very young. I am always glad to share what I have learned over the past four years. I love to analyze games and help out with game theory and design aspects :mrgreen:.
Think outside the box.