DM's Game : Apocalyptic Vision

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
darksmaster923

Re: DM's Game : Apocalyptic Vision

Post by darksmaster923 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 am

I'm just going to post the story here, cause I need to make a decision on this game.
The intro starts out with the military starting on a new project that goes haywire and creates a rift between dimensions and spawns creatures from it (bleh, cliche). So the government tries to contain it with nuclear weapons, which fails. So yay, apocalypse. Fast forward to 1 year later. You start out in a broken down subway station (its from the screenshots I posted, I love this level. Its very atmospheric). Anyway, someone rats you out, and you get thrown out. Then, you meet your old neighbor, who claims to know where your family went. So you go there, and theres no one there, but you find some classified files about him and some top secret project. So you trudge back to him, but he's nowhere to be seen. Even better, everyone claims that they've never heard of him. Then, you try to find the people working on this project. This is where you find out that the project was a fluke, and didn't work. What happened though, is that something else the military picked up, is some meteor. He doesn't say anything else but point you to where the military base that this occurred in is, and just tells you to find the "truth". Mystified, you go to this base, and you suddenly find your neighbor. He explains to you that this never actually happened, but really an experiment. In reality, this was an experiment that you volunteered for, to see into the future. Hence the name Apocalyptic vision. Then you get the choice of going back into reality, and seeing these events unfold in reality, or stay inside your subconscious.

Now, I was originally going to make this a freeroaming game, like STALKER, but I fear that this would take too much time, and probably wouldn't finish the game. The other choice was to make this a completely linear game, which would considerably reduce developing time. What do you suppose I should do?
Herp derp.

zany_001

Re: DM's Game : Apocalyptic Vision

Post by zany_001 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:48 am

Make it freeroam ofc. But if you haven't got time, then linear all the way.

No comment on teh story.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.