HI im Z3RO

Game Design, Story, Game Play.

tell me who you are

An gamer looking 4 his way into game making?
63%
just some person who stumble on to this, like me?
38%

Total votes: 8

Z3RO

HI im Z3RO

Post by Z3RO » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:19 pm

:? yo!
I AM Guitar King

Destron

Re: HI im Z3RO

Post by Destron » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:11 pm

Don't mean to be rude, but polls are completely stupid unless you have a real question...

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Indeed ... Welcome anyway.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

Z3RO

Post by Z3RO » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:31 pm

who are u guys,im only 14,u guy sound like masters! Please tell me the baiscs of making a game. :?:
I AM Guitar King

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:10 am

welcome to the forums! 8) 8)
first one that got that in!

and they just said hello...
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Z3RO wrote:Please tell me the baiscs of making a game. :?:
"How to make a game" is not something you want to generally ask a knowledgable game designer (you'll probably get either a) "It's not as simple as that", b) "go away" or c) a 20-page long paper on basic game principles), but I will start with the basics.

Before you start making levels or building any content, you need a good idea laid out on paper. You need to know what you want the game to be like, and also to know what gameplay concepts are good. What genre of game are you making? FPS? Racing? What time will this be set in? The present? The future? an alternate timeline? These are questions that I would deem indespensible to game design, and should be taken into account.
Normally, professional game designers (not me, but I do it anyway) create a lengthy 'design document' that contains basically everything about the game, from the storyline to the characters to the style of the game, etc, as well as a sort of registry of things that need to be created (i.e. models, textures, sound effects, etc). I think some people use Excel for that?
Anyway, That's basics of getting your game idea made, not really actually making the game (i.e. building the levels, scripting, programming etc).

A few tips:

1) Keep in mind that this is not an overnight process. Games like Half-Life 2 took 4 years to make and ran through numerous design iterations and changes before it became the final product.
2. What you (the game designer) wants to play is not necessarily what everybody else wants to play. This is a hard concept to fully grasp, but it's very humbling. If you want people to play your game, you need to make something that's fun for them.
3. If you use RealityFactory, your game will not be the next Crysis. One thing you need to understand, is that game performance is limited by its engine (and after that, the computer that it runs on). If you stick the highest quality content into RealityFactory, it'll still run like crap because the game engine (in this case, Genesis 3D) isn't designed to handle it. If you use the right techniques, though, you can still make it pretty good. In the "true" sense (i.e. the way everybody else does it), things like HDR, Normal mapping(for every surface, although there are some entities that can have this property), and other effects like Motion Blur are not possible with RealityFactory.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague, feel free to ask any questions you like. :)

Z3RO

Post by Z3RO » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm

ok,ok,ok . i know all this,but i realy want to do this 4 a living. i know that some games takes years to finsh, my life is 4 making games. "do u know how much in went to get here, please help me." im a fast learner!
I AM Guitar King

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Erm... what? Sorry, I don't understand...

Z3RO

Post by Z3RO » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 pm

um... will u b my master/guide 2 game making.
I AM Guitar King

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 am

Welcome to the forums!

So you want to make it into the industry? This is a great place to start. Reality Factory although being a dated engine with limited capabilities compared to todays top games, is a great program to learn on. I started with RF four years ago and have been working on a game project just as long. Also, ever since I started with RF I have been independently been studying game design. I am one that is using RF to help me understand the game industry and make it there someday. Now, honestly I haven't done much with RF itself over the past four years, other than a few level editor tests and adding my own HUD and menu into the demos that come with the software.EDIT: I forgot to mention that even though I did have little hands on experience with RF, I have read and learned a great deal about its features and how all of it works together to make games.

The best way to learn about game design is reading articles from the internet and working hands on with Reality Factory(even if it is very little).
Personally, I get all sorts of good information from a site called http://www.gamedev.net. Under the resources section there are a lot of articles on all aspects of game design. Also, I look at their image of the day section to see what the members are up to there. They post some great screen shots and most of it is completed by a low numbered team or individuals which makes game development very encouraging.

In the game industry today it takes a budget of a few million dollars and teams of around 100 people to make a game. However, do not let that discourage you. By learning all aspects of game design you could become highly qualified for any position in the industry or maybe even make it on your own if you work hard enough.

Now I'm not sure if anyone here will become your master for game design as we are all still learning ourselves(which I think everyone would agree as I don't believe any of use are game industry veterans). However, we all help each other out here on the forums with any questions or problems that we have while designing or implementing a game idea :).
Last edited by MakerOfGames on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:22 am

Destron wrote:Erm... what? Sorry, I don't understand...
dude, not to be rude but your coming off as kinda desprate
and the game industry is extremely hard to get into.
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:47 am

I think you quoted the wrong post. :mrgreen:
Z3RO wrote:um... will u b my master/guide 2 game making.
I don't really feel all that qualified to do something like that, and I probably wouldn't have the patience either. I will, however, help you out a little bit if you want. Right now, I mostly know "how" to make a game, but the not the specifics thereof (i.e. modeling, programming, etc).

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 am

Me neither. However, I have written three very basic Milkshape modelling tutorials. More of those are planned.

Introduction
Interface
Faces & Shapes
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:43 am

Destron wrote:I think you quoted the wrong post. :mrgreen:
I don't really feel all that qualified to do something like that, and I probably wouldn't have the patience either. I will, however, help you out a little bit if you want. Right now, I mostly know "how" to make a game, but the not the specifics thereof (i.e. modeling, programming, etc).
lol whoops
Herp derp.

vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:14 pm

?
darksmaster923 wrote:
Destron wrote:I think you quoted the wrong post. :mrgreen:
lol whoops
Destron wrote:
Z3RO wrote:Please tell me the baiscs of making a game. :?:
"How to make a game" is not something you want to generally ask a knowledgable game designer (you'll probably get either a) "It's not as simple as that", b) "go away" or c) a 20-page long paper on basic game principles), but I will start with the basics.

Before you start making levels or building any content, you need a good idea laid out on paper. You need to know what you want the game to be like, and also to know what gameplay concepts are good. What genre of game are you making? FPS? Racing? What time will this be set in? The present? The future? an alternate timeline? These are questions that I would deem indespensible to game design, and should be taken into account.
Normally, professional game designers (not me, but I do it anyway) create a lengthy 'design document' that contains basically everything about the game, from the storyline to the characters to the style of the game, etc, as well as a sort of registry of things that need to be created (i.e. models, textures, sound effects, etc). I think some people use Excel for that?
Anyway, That's basics of getting your game idea made, not really actually making the game (i.e. building the levels, scripting, programming etc).

A few tips:

1) Keep in mind that this is not an overnight process. Games like Half-Life 2 took 4 years to make and ran through numerous design iterations and changes before it became the final product.
2. What you (the game designer) wants to play is not necessarily what everybody else wants to play. This is a hard concept to fully grasp, but it's very humbling. If you want people to play your game, you need to make something that's fun for them.
3. If you use RealityFactory, your game will not be the next Crysis. One thing you need to understand, is that game performance is limited by its engine (and after that, the computer that it runs on). If you stick the highest quality content into RealityFactory, it'll still run like crap because the game engine (in this case, Genesis 3D) isn't designed to handle it. If you use the right techniques, though, you can still make it pretty good. In the "true" sense (i.e. the way everybody else does it), things like HDR, Normal mapping(for every surface, although there are some entities that can have this property), and other effects like Motion Blur are not possible with RealityFactory.

Sorry if I'm being a bit vague, feel free to ask any questions you like. :)
Destron wrote:Don't mean to be rude, but polls are completely stupid unless you have a real question...
Z3RO wrote::? yo!

Ermmm....What's the poll for?/how will it help you?
If you want to enter the gaming industry....
Get into the concepts..

Whenever I play a game , and notice a particualr feature...
I ask myself- How did They do this?
Then I draw out the pseudo ....

BTW, Destron, finished the textures? :D
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....