HI im Z3RO

Game Design, Story, Game Play.

tell me who you are

An gamer looking 4 his way into game making?
63%
just some person who stumble on to this, like me?
38%

Total votes: 8

Z3RO

Re: HI im Z3RO

Post by Z3RO » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:23 pm

sorry 2 b an newbie,but all i needed was help.An now that u guys help me, im ready 2 take my path 2 game making. "thanks! all of u.;)
I AM Guitar King

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 pm

sorry, but you make little sense. We just told you we are not in the position to teach you everything about game development.

Game development requires a lot of skills in many area's like world design (mapping), character design (modelling), 2D graphics design, coding/scripting, sound/music editing and you'd need a fair understanding about how games are being put together.

I advice you to google for tutorials and documentation on these subjects.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Stop using 2 and write to instead. That's very immature in my opinion. How old are you?
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Stop using 2 and write to instead. That's very immature in my opinion. How old are you?
That'd fix the whole problem. He's probably like 10 or 11.

Z3RO: Part of the reason why I seem experienced and knowledgeable is the fact that I write clearly. In reality, I'm just a 15-year-old kid who's done research in game development for a while. Not only do I know things, but I can convey them in a way that makes them easier to understand. Use proper capitalization and punctuation, don't dabble your posts with quotation marks unless you're actually quoting somebody, etc.
In short, if you understand how to use the English language, you can make people believe you and respect easier than if you use 2s instead of "to" and 3s instead of Es.
This is sort of off the subject, but have you posted on GameDev.net at all?

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Destron wrote:
That'd fix the whole problem. He's probably like 10 or 11.

Z3RO: Part of the reason why I seem experienced and knowledgeable is the fact that I write clearly. In reality, I'm just a 15-year-old kid who's done research in game development for a while. Not only do I know things, but I can convey them in a way that makes them easier to understand. Use proper capitalization and punctuation, don't dabble your posts with quotation marks unless you're actually quoting somebody, etc.
In short, if you understand how to use the English language, you can make people believe you and respect easier than if you use 2s instead of "to" and 3s instead of Es.
This is sort of off the subject, but have you posted on GameDev.net at all?
i cant, ill be burned. lol
OK! I'll start
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Yes, darksmaster, although you aren't as bad as some, you still have some learning to do.
Mostly about capitalization and keeping on-topic. :lol:
Me neither. However, I have written three very basic Milkshape modelling tutorials. More of those are planned.
Very nice, Sph!nx! I like your tutorial style. ;)
Last edited by Destron on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Destron wrote:Yes, darksmaster, although you aren't as bad as some, you still have some learning to do.
by what are you talking about? I refuse to stray off topic, unlike some people here.
Herp derp.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 pm

darksmaster923 wrote:
Destron wrote:Yes, darksmaster, although you aren't as bad as some, you still have some learning to do.
by what are you talking about? I refuse to stray off topic, unlike some people here.
Yeah, but sometimes you post something completely random. I seem to recall you posting lolcats in several topics for no apparent reason. And you also said something along the lines of "OMG A ZOMBIE" in Spyre's game thread, without any prompting.

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:09 am

Destron wrote:Very nice, Sph!nx! I like your tutorial style. ;)
Thanks a lot! These are written a while back, though. I could write some more if one (seriously) needs it.
darksmaster923 wrote:
Lol, like this is being on topic? :wink:
Regards Sph!nx

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:50 am

Wow, this isn't the nicest of threads here. Yes, his questions were a bit off, but he is new to game making and thus needs to learn about it. Now I don't understand why you guys are being so critical. Let's not have a repeat of the reception of deltacommando5. He joined and was flamed off the forum because everyone somehow thought they dissevered it.

Now, I am curious as to what posting on the gamedev.net forum has to do with anything. I have been reading their articles and browsing their site for four years now and I still am not a member. I don't see it as essential to learn game making as having a gamedev.net membership or posting in the forums. Yes it would be one way to learn I suppose but something tells me that their forums would be similar to ours, except everyone would be pushing their own tried methods on him as he should try to make a game.

Ok, so I guess it really comes down to this z3ro,
All of us are too busy with our own things to train someone and we are all still learning ourselves. Game design for many of us is a personal endeavor if I am assuming correctly. It's great that you have come here and have chosen the path of becoming a game designer. The only catch is that you need to do a lot of work on your own if you want to make it in the industry. You said you were 14 correct? That's good, because it gives you time to explore all aspects of game design to see if you are meant to be a game designer. Game design is a very tough process in which only those with passion and drive for it are able to keep with it because of how demanding it is. Seeing if this is right for you is a critical now, because it would be an undesirable thing to go to college for game design only to realize it wasn't what you expected and lost out on time and money.

Verdict:
Well, like the others have suggested you need to do your own research as we are here for help not teaching. I highly suggest you start with game making basics and learn about 2D games before you learn about 3D games. Also, it wouldn't hurt to teach yourself a programming language as it becomes more important for certain aspects of game design.

If you want to learn about 2D games, I suggest using gamemaker(http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/). I used that my first year of independent game design research and study. Its a great program for very small scale games. Personally, I ended up making too large of games for the program to handle and thus made the jump to 3D and thats how I ended up here. Honestly, by large game, I had a player with a few interactive objects on screen(highly scripted btw) which caused lag and the program took forever to compile the game. Anyhow, with the extremely small scale it allows, its a good program. Some people may post about how the program has flaws, but for learning the basics, its a good tool. It is good for beginners. It also requires no programming knowledge as events and actions are defined in an easy to read simplistic system, but if that isn't enough coding can be used to make advanced AI and things.

Now, once you start to learn about that program I would say make a few demos and learn key elements of the program such as AI and making weapons/projectiles. Once you get the concepts of 2D you can add the third dimension which makes things a little more difficult(a lot more in most cases :P). To start with 3D, I suggest you start researching whatever it is you have questions on. Also, I don't recommend starting right into 3D. Learning game basics in 2D I feel will make life easier in the long run. And my last thing is that once your done with 2D, you will find that most of the things you thought about game making is a lot different than you originally thought and thus you have new/different questions about 3D. I hope this helps!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, please use proper English on the forums. No "leet" or excessive word shortcuts(there are a few that are acceptable such as btw). This is more formal of an environment than instant messaging or other forums you may belong to. Thanks!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Destron

Post by Destron » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:32 am

Sorry MakerOfGames, the reason I'm stressing the "use proper English" point is because I couldn't understand a couple of his posts. I don't mind teaching him, but I can't do that if I can't understand him. I don't mean to go off-topic.
All good points, though.

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:30 pm

MakerOfGames wrote:Wow, this isn't the nicest of threads here. Yes, his questions were a bit off, but he is new to game making and thus needs to learn about it. Now I don't understand why you guys are being so critical. Let's not have a repeat of the reception of deltacommando5. He joined and was flamed off the forum because everyone somehow thought they dissevered it.
I don't think that that is the case. We are simply explaining to him what you just said. No harm intended and none is done.
Regards Sph!nx

vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:40 pm

I think he already said ty and left
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:33 pm

I do understand what you were trying to say, but it was how the whole process of getting that posted is what is a little off the norm. If you reread the first page of this thread, you might be able to see the small "wall" that I see was put up as soon as he posted. Yes, we are not here to become tutors, but we also shouldn't greet new members that have that much enthusiasm for game design with a few posts that are less than welcoming. My main point is read how "welcoming" the first two posts are in response to his. I just get a bad vibe from reading the first two posts that messes with the whole intentions of the rest of the posts here. The welcomes enabled a lot of miscommunication. We must be very careful with posting as intonation and tone are hard to tell when we only have text. I have reread the posts now and do see that you guys weren't being rude but it came off like that to me just from the tone I got from the first responses.

I too understand the need for proper English on the forum and thats why I reiterated it in my last post. I do not like to decipher that kind of text myself.

@Z3RO
So if you have come back to read this post Z3RO, please try my suggestions in my post above and then when you are ready for 3D come back to RF. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing any 2D work you would create. I hope to see you around the forums!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Destron

Post by Destron » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:22 am

MakerOfGames wrote:@Z3RO
So if you have come back to read this post Z3RO, please try my suggestions in my post above and then when you are ready for 3D come back to RF. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing any 2D work you would create. I hope to see you around the forums!
Yes, yes! We always like new faces on the forum :D