Hud work

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
madness

Hud work

Post by madness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 pm

Working on a heads up display that displays a lot of information but dosent cover everything on the screen.
I don't know a lot about actually putting this into practice besides that jay is like a hud ninja.

Just some quick questions;

Any ideas on a better way to minimize this while still displaying a lot of information.
Is it possible to display a body and then put images of objects over them for clothes. (the images have percentages on them representing protection levels)
Will the hud respond instantly to the commands from scripts?
Should i use a script to generate my hud and keep track of all my values?
Is there actually any other way?

Somewhere in Nevada...

darksmaster923

Re: Hud work

Post by darksmaster923 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:10 am

ok thats wayyyyy too much hud stuff. do you really need the weapon stats on the hud? and the bullet display really isn that great. instead you could have a magazine with bullets in it. and you dont need to show what mods you have. and the health and armor bars could be scaled down and given a cleaner look. you should actually need to clean up the hud cause theres way to much stuff, and the pictures look kinda copied and not much attention to detail. it would look much better if there was better transparencies. and you dont need the steel/metal backgrounds, take em off
Herp derp.

madness

Post by madness » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 am

It's just a concept model i created in ms paint with images from Google.
The final result will use all original content and in a much cleaner organization.
I Need to show things like functional clothing and weapon modification because its all going to be controlled behind the scenes with math and such and it will have a very real effect on game play.
maybe i should expand the window so it matches the actual screen resolution.
what that like 600x800 or some thousand.
does it matter if i change the window size ingame, will it mess it up?
Somewhere in Nevada...

tonykorea

Post by tonykorea » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm

OMG.. Can you tell me how did you do that?

I'm currently having a problem with HUD.

My HUD doesn't show up! I just changed ini file and image, and it didn't work, so I recopied previous things, and they still doesn't show!

I wonder what happend.

madness

Post by madness » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:48 pm

I said it's just a concept model.
I just pasted a bunch of pictures together in mspaint.
I am just starting to work with this kind of stuff myself.
Somewhere in Nevada...

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 am

Make a menu that comes up when you rightclick/press esc., and have weapon health, body pics,etc. there. On the main HUD, put seethrough pics of overall player health, weapon ammo, compass.You don't want much more than that on a FPS.I've missed a couple of things there, but thats the basic idea.Mebbe i should right a HUD concept tute....
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:41 pm

I suggest doing so research on HUDs. Honesty that concept has too much to it. The simpler the better. The HUD is to help the player get your game worlds important information that can't be shown directly through the senses(meaning anything that is not able to be heard or seen that is important should be on the HUD). It is also to be existent but not detract from the world you have created on screen. Google HUD, or look up some in game screens to take a look at how HUD's currently look and function. Then from this figure out how you can create a more visually appealing display. For HUD's, less is more.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.