tonykorea's thread (System of the horizon)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
tonykorea

tonykorea's thread (System of the horizon)

Post by tonykorea » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 am

Hi! I'm back.

School life is getting busier, since it is almost end of the year.

Anyway, I came up with more details, but not pictures unfortunately.

I finished with my designs on weapons! Now, I will have to model them..

Like I said before, my game is called 'Project : System of The Horizon.'

This game is something like System Shock 2, but it will have bigger environment, freedom, and possibly a better story.

Background Story

1. Start of the Project

The year is A.D. 2679, the age of interstellar competitions. Humans are losing in their competitions with other alien races, and the only way they could achieve bigger succesion was A.I. Technology. knowing this, government of Inter-Solar federation gave hefty sum of their finance to finish the project called 'System of the horizon.' This project's goal is to merge the massive A.I. called 'Horizon' with capital ship called 'Siegfried' to create an ultimate weapon that will restore humanity's losing influence.

2. The Horizon

20 years of research and progress, secret science division of Inter-Solar Federation finally merged Horizon with capital ship Siegfried. Despite all of tests that were succesfully completed with Horizon, scientists were wary about functions of Siegfried and Horizon in real situation. After thinking over this issue, scientists came up with idea of testing Siegfried and Horizon on their flight. Course was set to Trigrus system, which was 50 trillion miles away from homeworld of earth... To start the real test of Horizon...

STORY

'Wake up.... Captain Cruss..'
The word you hear.. It sounds familiar, and you wake up to find your self recovering a bit of memory. It seems that computer malfuntion modified your memory, and resulted in serious loss. As you progress through the capital ship Siegfried, you meet up with A.I. called 'HORIZON', which is damaged A.I. of this magnificent ship. Horizon asked you for your help in repairing his damage by recovering data flows of storage terminal in 4th floor of this gigantic ship. However, as you progress more and more, you get suspicious of what happened to this ship, and you meet up with strange crew members who all seem to lost their mind. Can you figure out what happened to this ship? And... Are you ready for a big conspiracy?

PROGRESS

- I'm currently searching for free textures around the web.

- Changed Capital ship's name to Siegfried.

- All weapon designs are done! Now, I have to model them.

- Completed with background story. Listed above.

- Enemies will be mostly humans, unlike SS2

- Currently learning to use GMAX.

FEATURES

- More than 20 kinds of weapons with 6 categories.

- Huge interior environment which offers you a pleasant surprises and shocks.

- Interesting skills such as Weapon profession, robot creation, and fist fighting will be included.

- Freedom of your choice. You can decide to create your character into a fighting monster or a wise well-round sage with open environment and interesting character development system.

- 4 types of psionic skills : Manipulation, Conjuration, Enhancement, and knowledge.

- 5 interesting classes to choose.

- interesting story line to keep you occupied with a game.

- Many secret items and weapon parts.

- Combination of items or parts to create better ones.

- Unique skill point earning system which is getting from recovering your memories instead of fighting horde of foes.

See you guys later!
Last edited by tonykorea on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: tonykorea's thread (System of the horizon)

Post by Jay » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 pm

What i like at your concept is the part that it is all interior in this big ship. This creates a nice atmosphere that the world is really at an end when you would exit this (space?) ship. I always liked when the game world somehow felt 'completed'.

I also like the skill point earning system. Are you going to play the parts where the main character remembers something and then when you completed them you get the skill points as reward?

One thing i don't like is:
This game is something like System Shock 2, but it will have bigger environment, freedom, and possibly a better story.
It's like your saying: I am gonna make a clone, and of course i am going to be better than a whole team of experienced game designers/programmers. Big teams and companies CAN get away with making a clone and the end product might even be better because they have in comparison to us almost limitless resources. And they might even make much money with it. They may have a reputation and people may buy the game for their good image.
Please NEVER say such thinghs. If you try to make a game 'like game XYZ,but better' you lack vision. If you lack vision two thinghs happen:
- First, you don't create something unique, and if you don't have much money for spening on marketing, no one will ever play it, because there are always games with better graphics, better sound, better marketing, that people will play instead. I know it's sad, but average player thinks: "WOAH COOL GRAPHICS! I WANNA TRY THAT" or "THAT LOOKS CRAPPY. NOT WORTH MY TIME.". Players don't look at the work you did to make it work, they only look on what they see, hear and experience. Of course, if you create somthing unique, you don't have to compare to those other games, because in your niche, there is no or at least not much competion. Then maybe players will think: "Nice idea. Maybe i am going to try that."
- Secondly, you loose interest quickly.

This is not an accusation, but a warning.

It is not very hard to make a big environment, but it IS hard to make a big AUTHENTIC environment, and what poeple nowadays forget is that you also have to fill this big environment. Better a small environment that has much atmosphere (and that's much work believe me, because the main work is in the detail, like the props and pawns, conversations etc) than a huge environment that lacks atmosphere. You will also find it hard to not repeat yourself when you make huge enviroments.

Again, no accusation, merely a warning.

For the other thinghs, all i can say is: Good luck. You have resolved much.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

tonykorea

Post by tonykorea » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for your comment. I'm really appreciated.

Actually, I'm not going to make this game for money, but for my own interest. I'm kind of weird guy who puts everything into an interest, like I do in hip-hop, which is one of my primary interest.

I know that I'm going to do worse than a team of professionals, but I'm gonna try my best.

In sophomore year (which is a next year.. Ye.. call me an impudent freshman if you want.), I'm planning to create a game creating team composed of 6 friends. Me as a planner and game organizer, and others as 3d modeler, texturer, modifier, programmer, and designer.

I'm really greatful for your comment, and I'm willing to learn much.

Thank you.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:48 am

Hey TonyKorea, any way you could possibly change the name of the ship? If you read, the Helios is an A.I controlled ship for Zeth White. (It bothers me a little) However if you'd rather not (Like if you're far into development) You don't have to.
Sounds like a cool story. Going to be a hell of a time creating it in RF though.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums. (Sorry I didn't get around to reading this earlier. I'd be willing to lend a small hand.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

tonykorea

Post by tonykorea » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi! This is tonykorea.
I've made more updates. Check it out.
Stats

Strength : Improves melee damage if upgraded. 2 points here is pre-requisite for Ambidexterity.

Intelligence : Improves hacking succesion rate, and depending on level of intelligence, player will either reveal tips for another way out in various situations. Character with 3 point in intelligence can assemble new weapons using parts.

Speed : Enhances movement speed and reduces stamina depletion rate. 2 points here is pre-requisite for Ambidexterity.

Perception : Increases firing accuracy, and when combined with intelligence, various hints will be given in game.

Willpower : Increases psychic power, gauge, and reduces psychic gauge reduction. All other special skills associating with psionic requires 3 points in willpower.

Skills

Hacking : Higher points in hacking allows for more open possibilities of alternative solution for many situations. Also, Cyber manipulators will sell you items in cheaper price when succesfully hacked.

Observation : Allows for more possibilites of alternative solutions. Some weapons require certain or higher level of observation to be used.

Pistol : More points spent on this skill means better handling of all pistol weapons. Rate of fire, accuracy, and handling of pistol will increase with more level. Level 10 gives you automatic head aiming when using pistols.

Rifle : Increases handling and other associated benefits when using rifle. Level 10 gives you more chances of critical damage to enemies when using rifles.

Unique : Unique weapons will be manipulated easier with more points on this skill. Level 10 gives you more chance of finding ammunitions for unique weapons.

Fist fighting : Unique skill that will increase your hand-to-hand damage. Level 10 gives you more chance of knocking down enemies with hand.

Research : This skill lets you to research and use more advanced items or books.

Survival : More skill points here means better food-preservation, ammo scavenging, and finding better ways of survival.

Explosive : Explosive weapons will be easier to handle, and more destructive. Level 10 eliminates random chance of explosive device malfunction.

Decks of Capital ship Siegfried

FIRST DECK : Engineering

- Deck consisting of 7 different areas. H.F.M. (Stands for Hyperdrive Function Manipulator), Storage, Connecter, Engine, Life Support, Gravity Stabilizer, and main sensor.

- 2nd smallest deck in capital ship Siegfried.

- Explosion must be handled with caution.

SECOND DECK : Crew Quarter

- Deck consisting of several rooms for crew members. Largest deck in capital ship Siegfried.

- Many recreation areas.

- All security levels are handles with virtual space.

THIRD DECK : Science/Medical division

- 2 major areas : Science lab, and Medi lab. Both area consists of many different sub-sections.

- All the emergency situations, medical cares, and scientific discoveries are handled in this deck.

- Most of the top security levels are handled from virtual space.

FOURTH DECK : Data Storage

- Deck consisting of many computers and data bank terminals.

- All the major memories, functions, and systems of horizon are maintained in here.

- Termination of this deck will almost completely eliminate Horizon's functions.

FIFTH DECK : Command

- Deck that homes Horizon and many other most important sources.

- Brain part of Horizon is stored in here.

- Termination of this deck will kill Horizon.

Hangars of capital ship Siegfried

HANGAR 1 : Fighter station

- Part of Deck 2

- All the fighters are launched from here.

HANGAR 2 : Escape Pod Launcher

- One of most vital part of capital ship Siegfried.

- Escape pods are stored here.

HANGAR 3 : Science Vessel station

- Part of Deck 3

- All the Science Vessels are launched from here.

- Any experimentations are either delivered back to earth or directly to capital ship Siegfried.

Time planning

Well, it will take hell of time to create this stuff.. So, I planned the times.

6 months(initial) : Planning, learning, and experiencing other members' demos.

1 year : designing levels

1 and half year : Full-Scale modelling

1 and a half year : Scripting, placing objects and enemies.

1 month : Testing, making the game almost-flawless.

That's pretty much it.

See you guys later!

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:54 pm

your going to take a lot more than 1 and a half years scripting ill tell ya
Herp derp.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:22 am

no doubt.
Also, sorry to steal the thread, but Whenever I place a pawn it doesn't show up... I identified it in the Pawn.ini, gave it an actor, set it all up as it should, but the actor doesn't show. Or if I do the robot script just to test, It shows the robot idling, but doesn't attack and cannot be killed :(
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

fps
Location: in a magical land devoid of hope, happiness, and sanity.

Post by fps » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 pm

This is really in depth.
1 wrote:
for the internet is a cruel and dark place at times, and there's sex and blood everywhere.

2 wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

1 wrote:
You are a bad thing.