[CLOSED] Metal Force [CLOSED]

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Sorington

Re: Metal Force

Post by Sorington » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm

it looks very nice! continue like this and this will be a great game! :)
Greetings, Sorington

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm back with a new screen of Metal Force, the level is just started, so there will be a lot of work on it, I'll give screens as I advance and finally I'll post a video of the level :)

The level is called "The Downtown Battle" (in english), you're in Central City (the main city in the game, also called "The Capital Of Europe") and intelligence has given information that something's happening in the city. At first when you get there, everything's fine, but that's just for the fisrt 30 seconds, than you see bad guys running all arround the city, terrorizing the citizens... Of course Jake (the main character) wouldn't be able to handle the situation himself, so here's the first big battle in the game (this is level 3). Metal Force troopers and the police are fighting against the bad guys. The AI is a little problem for me as you all know :D:D, but I hope I'll find a way to make the battle, also Juutis promised to take a look at the perfectai and see if he can help make it a little bit smarter (the pawn to be aware of doors, walls, details etc.), so I think everything's gonna be great :)

A huge Update on the story is comming too, there are so many new things :)
Attachments
central_city_downtown.jpg
(66.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey, I'm back with a new weapon test vid, this time with the scripted weapon system Juutis helped me make!
Juutis, it looks really cool in game!
Because of Fraps, the muzzle flashes weren't visible, so here's a pic of one of the muzzle flashes, I find it pretty reallistic :)
muzzle_flash.jpg
(33.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
(note on the video that this weapon's muzzle flash's different, I changed it after I made the vid)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ygnzgo1ydni
All the weapon animations are done by me, except the neon rifle's ones.

Expect really soon an update on the story >>>

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Very impressive work! it's inspiring me to try and get back on track with my own project. Your animations are very nice. I love the weapon designs, very inspired. Your little weapon test video reminds me of the days when games had all sorts of creativity, which is a time I hope will come back to the industry. Love the gun names too! Excellent work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks man, a comment like this is really motivating! :)

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Here's the newest scren from the game and some story update (I still have a lot to work on that place from where the screen is taken):
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/282/hydroco.jpg

OK, here's the story and concept update I should have posted long time ago:

Let's take a look at my first post:
Metal Force is a First person shooter (a game I have always dreamed of making) mainly.I said mainly,because somethinmes the game turns to a 3-rd person shooter.The chageable view is locked,so the game desides where it will be 3rd and when it will bi 1-st.I know it sounds bad,but you'll see,it's not that bad after all.

In the game there's that EPA (Earth Protection Assosiation).It is a huge corporation,which protects the planet earth.It's splited on 3 teams (if I can say it like that),They are "Terror Justice","Storm Squad" and "Metal Froce".The whol thing happens in the near future,sto the 3 teams have their own SpaceShips(I say team,but in on team there are about 2000 people and their spaceships are huge) the name of Metal Force's ship is Airfreak (well,it's a little crazy to name a ship like that,sooo if you don't like the name,tell me,I'll think of something else).

The 3 teams protect the earth from aliens,terrorists etc.

So here's how the game begins:

One day Metal Force got a mission,they got to land on the earth in a city called Metalpolis (I'm not sure about this name too it's kind of stuipid) and stop an evil group of bandits,who are killing people,destroying the city and have evil (unknown) plans for destroying europe and Reality Factory (no,I was kidding,just Europe).But when Metal Force (MF) get near Earth with their spaceship,angry aliens attack them(I got that idea from HALO actually ).So the game starts,and you get to be Jake,he is on of the bes MF members.He and his friends are trying to escape the ship(like all the others) and land with a shuttle in Metalpolis,so they can acomplish their mission.But the commander calls and wants Jake to come with him (who is in the control room) to get all the aliens killed,so they won't be able to take over the ship.Annd...all the action is ahead.I won't tell you ehat happens next,because I want the game to be interesting when you play it.
I said mainly,because somethinmes the game turns to a 3-rd person shooter.The chageable view is locked,so the game desides where it will be 3rd and when it will bi 1-st.I know it sounds bad,but you'll see,it's not that bad after all.
First of all, this is NOT gonna happen. :lol: The game will be first person all the time except the missions where you get to drive a vehicle, but that's to be done yet. There will be a lot of cutscenes so you'll be seing yourself often.

In the game there's that EPA (Earth Protection Assosiation).It is a huge corporation,which protects the planet earth.It's splited on 3 teams (if I can say it like that),They are "Terror Justice","Storm Squad" and "Metal Froce".The whol thing happens in the near future,sto the 3 teams have their own SpaceShips(I say team,but in on team there are about 2000 people and their spaceships are huge)
No,no,no, there will be no such thing like "EPA" or two other "teams", there will be only Metal Force, which has a huge number of troopers, scientists and others, but no one knows their number.

OK so the main city in the game is called "Central City", not "Metalpolis". It's the largest and most developed city in Europe (any suggestions what will be it's coordinates?) . The Metal Force Headquarters are located there also. So one day Metal Force are flying with their big spaceship (which is still called Airfreak, I'll psot a picture of it lately, cuz we changed the ship's model several times) and suddenly they got attacked by aliens. No one know what's goin' on including the player. You just wake up from the hit and your pals tell you that Airfreak has been hit by an unknown alien race. The commander tells you to meet up with him and your other pals - Jenity and Bolt in the control room. Yeah, the problem is that the control room is pretty far, so you start killing aliens making your way to the control room. A lot of doors are closed, random explosions block your way (that's already done btw) so that you gotta find another one. That first level is consisted of 4 parts (Gamemaker said that my first level is bigger than his whole game :D ). In my first post I said that you gotta kill all the aliens so they won't be able to take over the ship. Well in the level your task will be to get to the control room, there will be lots of aliens standing in your way, but you won't have to kill them if you're so merciful. The aliens manage to do damage to the spaceship enough that the ship requires emergency landing. When you get to the control room, the commander sends you, Jenity and Bolt to the shuttles, so you can evacuate in case he won't be able to land safely.
After a safe land in he Headquarters, the intelligence gives information for an unknown thiefs fighting with the police at the city's harbor and trying to get something into the city. You get the immediately and start helping the police. At the end of the level you meet your first boss. It's a helicopter (not yet scripted). The pilot says "Aha, so this is Jake from Metal Force? Not for long buddy!" Than you shoot it with the rocket launcher you just found (good luck if you don't find it! It's in your way btw :D:D) After you defeat it, you and your pals take one of the containers the bad guys were trying to get through the harbor. It turns out that there's a nuclear bomb in it.
The bad guys have been defeated, but that's only the beginning of something big... Their next strike is in Central City where they run arround, kill people, do bad stuff. You, yor pals, the troopers and the police are trying to stop them. In the end of the level one of the bad guys gets on the top of a boulding and reveals who they are and what they want. Their name is PYTHON and are something like terrorists from America (america has nothing to do with them). They want 2500000 square kilometers of the Europe's area...of course the commander's comment is "250000?! THEY ARE INSANE!!! :shock: " (yeah, in the game everyone talks a lot, the voices are recorded in a professional record studio).

Let's skip here the story

Here's when the things get clear:
One night Metal Force attack PYTHON's headquarters, which are hidden in an old laboratory-like place. (your mission there is to destroy everything...people, items, computers, vehicles) Than in the next par of the level where you all get in the base, you see the aliens, who attacked you in the beginning...obiously they are cooperating with PYTHON.Together they have managed to make series of deadly robots, programmed to be hostile to Metal FOrce and all civilians...yeah, but a bug in the system makes them turn also against PYTHON so in the levels that follow robots will break and start killing everyone from time to time.
I'm not gonna talk anymore about the story, cuz it won't be interesting to you when you play the game. It's about 40% done at this point, videos from the gameplay will be available after the release of RF 0.80 :)

I'll soon also upload pictures of the charaters (the main ones).

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 pm

That sounds awesome! Although I would name the ship something like Skyhawk or something, Airfreak doesn't really work IMHO.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks!
I would name the ship something like Skyhawk or something, Airfreak
Well IMO, it shouldn't be even sky or air related, it's a spaceship, but dunno, Airfreak sounded cool to me. I don't think that the ship will need a name, I don't know where I can use it :D

Matte

Post by Matte » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 pm

File is invalid :(

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:51 pm

It seems that the file's expored, I'll make a better vid and upload it anyway :)

ingumak

Post by ingumak » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 am

I regret not posting more often.
This pic is incredible. Is very well

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm back with a little screenshot from the scripted menu I'm making for Metal Force, sadly the scripted menu cannot support save/load and some more stuff that the built-in menu supports, I hope that the next version of RF will have a solution for this,cuz IMO the menu work is going pretty well :)

But let's leave this to you guys to decide :)

Alextreme

Post by Alextreme » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I don´t undertend... Why you don´t use light¿? You must use lights if you want to do a nice level, a level no lights is like a paint whit no colors.

wELL: I like your projecto (forgeting the lights), you are going a good work.

And i´ve got a question: Why you don´t use the spanis RF comunity, we want to see your project in spañish.

Very saludos, and do things very typical spanish.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, google translator isn't really good :D and I keep forgeting to make an account in the new forums. The lights:
Well that's a menu level, it's basicly a fullbright pawn and a skybox, I aimed for this :)
Thanks!

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:48 am

The menu looks awesome, man! Seems like you're making solid progress.