Full Action (a mini game)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
metal_head

Full Action (a mini game)

Post by metal_head » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm

This is a game that I started yesterday and I'm planning to release it the next week. It cannot be compared with any game here, because it's a mini game and I won't get upset if you say that it sucks (well, actually it does :D ).
The game is Called "Full Action" and it's a Top Down 3-rd Person Shooter. There is no story in the game, it's like Counter Strike, but here there are no two teams, every one is playing for himself. When a timer runs out, the person with the most frags wins the game. Too bad RF doesn't support multiplayer yet, it would have been AWESOME to make the game multiplayer.
The games is 35% finnished (let me remind again, that I started it yesterday), now I have to make some animations for the player (strafing and jumping) annnnd, the problem is that scripting will be needed! I want the pawns to walk arround the map and collect different weapons, armours and stuff (which will be really, really hard to do I assume). "Full Action" will have only one mao and very few opponents when it is released, but every week I'm planing to upload patches on my site with bugfixes, new maps, opponents, even mods! And I hope that when everything passes, we'll have a cool game. Only I am developing Full Action, my team works and helps a lot for Metal Force, but this is only a personal project, but the team will get the credit, not only me :)

Here are the pics:
http://drivingblind.eu/index.php?option ... 5%F8%E5%ED

sankha93

Re: Full Action (a mini game)

Post by sankha93 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:47 am

The game looks great, only if you could have the player a little bigger.

Can i use the actors of the game for free?
sankha93

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:39 pm

The game looks great, only if you could have the player a little bigger.

Can i use the actors of the game for free?
Yes, the player looks small, but that's because the camera is too far away from him.

Sure you can use them, I'll release the game the next week (I hope) and you can get them :)

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:16 pm

The player is very dark.Raise his default fillcolor to something from 128 ,to 255 255 255.
Top down (without around camera rotation) games can have the same detail with others of 1st and 3rd person camera (high polycount with stencil shadows),but more speed.

You can put in screen much more stuff.The good fps speed wont help its downloads because most will first look at the screenshots and then decide whether to try it or not.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks for the advices, man! I was thinking the same thing, the player IS pretty dark. The project is just started sooo, I'll be making the levels much more detailed, theese are just the first pictures. The cool thing here is that I can add much more stuff to the level and still have a great Framerate, cuz it's top down view and only a little is rendered from the level

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:27 am

Looking good. Actually I'm kinda amazed that these kinds of projects don't pop up more often. I mean, creating a full FPS or RPG singlehandedly takes years of dedication. Instead, finishing a small-scale game like this would be much more realistic. So thumbs up for the concept! :)
the problem is that scripting will be needed! I want the pawns to walk arround the map and collect different weapons, armours and stuff
As you said, not exactly the easiest thing to do. Not impossible, but it needs some really thorough thinking. The good thing is, you'll only need one AI script. On the other hand, that single script needs to contain a lot of stuff so the pawns can use all the weapons.

Actually, I believe you could show the mouse on the screen and the player character (possibly even the built-in player) would always face the cursor. This would let you aim with the mouse and move with WSAD. I have an idea of how to do it. I'm definitely gonna write some test scripts and see if it works.
Pain is only psychological.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:02 am

Juutis wrote: Actually, I believe you could show the mouse on the screen and the player character (possibly even the built-in player) would always face the cursor. This would let you aim with the mouse and move with WSAD. I have an idea of how to do it. I'm definitely gonna write some test scripts and see if it works.
Yes it must be possible... Must be something with the arcos functions (asin and acos). If you manage it i am going to use it too :wink: because it would really help me too. Although i might have to add code to make it work with every imaginable camera angles.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:15 am

As you said, not exactly the easiest thing to do. Not impossible, but it needs some really thorough thinking. The good thing is, you'll only need one AI script. On the other hand, that single script needs to contain a lot of stuff so the pawns can use all the weapons.

Actually, I believe you could show the mouse on the screen and the player character (possibly even the built-in player) would always face the cursor. This would let you aim with the mouse and move with WSAD. I have an idea of how to do it. I'm definitely gonna write some test scripts and see if it works.
Yeah, I'm thinking of modifying the Perfectai script once again.I have no Idea how to make the pawns get different weapons and drop the old ones. I'm planning to make the movement of the pawns using script points, the pawns will move randomly to the points. I want the pawns to detect the three nearest script points and choose randomly one of them to move to (I have no Idea how they have made the Counter Strike's AI, but if an AI like this is possible, than it would be awesome). I think that I can use if/then/ense to make the pawns shoot with the different weapons, in the fire order, the script will check if a current weapon is armed, and if true, then the pawn will shoot with the projectile for the weapon, else the pawn will check if another weapon is aremd...

aaand.. yes.. the crosshair is my biggest problem now, Jay helped me, but I couldn't get the script to work and I deleted it :(
I don't want to make the player aim at the place where the crosshair points, I just want to add the crosshair to the isometric view, and this will creae the illusion that the player aims, where the crosshair points, don't know if it's possible.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

I could help with maps, just give me one to kind of base it off of.

also, what's with the cyrrilic? It looks like Russian but I couldn't read it so I don't think it is.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Sure, let me just finnish the first map, than everyone from the forums can make maps :)

Well, the cyrilic is because I'm bulgarian, and bulgarian is really close to russian (only a few letters differ). I forgot to translate the link to my site.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:04 pm

mmmhmm That makes sense. :mrgreen:
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

Sorington

Post by Sorington » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:56 pm

great!
Greetings, Sorington

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:26 pm

And? Any changes yet like a first level?
Just can't wait to see more.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:29 pm

yeah, there are a few changes, but I'm a little grounded at the moment (without a PC) :lol: and I'm not able to work on my projects. Once I get my PC back (just have to fix a few grades and that's easy) I'll start work again and post the results :)